PDA

View Full Version : Billet fender holders in 22ZX engine compartment

Donzi LG
05-02-2009, 06:26 PM
Looking for some input from my ZX brothers about mounting a couple of fender racks in the engine bay. This year one of my priorities is to find better storage options for the anchor and fenders in order to maximize the limited space on the boat for people's bags, etc. I have 2 of the large Polyform 8.5" fenders and I'm thinking of storing them in the engine compartment in billet racks from Dana. I hate spending that much $$ for the racks but I've looked into making my own from large diameter PVC (a guy on OSO made sweet ones this way) but I can't find any large diameter stuff locally. At this point I'm ready to go billet and be done with it.

Do you guys think mounting them on the front wall of the engine compartment in each corner would be a good option? I don't have access to my boat yet, if any 22ZX guys could check their setup and let me know if they think the fender holders would fit there I'd appreciate it. They are about 1 foot tall by 10" in diameter. If there's enough room I think mounting one in each corner might work as long as they are well away from the engine. I have the diamond plate as the wall surface so I assume I can mount right to that.

What do you guys think?

John

Last Real Texan
05-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Looking for some input from my ZX brothers about mounting a couple of fender racks in the engine bay. This year one of my priorities is to find better storage options for the anchor and fenders in order to maximize the limited space on the boat for people's bags, etc. I have 2 of the large Polyform 8.5" fenders and I'm thinking of storing them in the engine compartment in billet racks from Dana. I hate spending that much $$ for the racks but I've looked into making my own from large diameter PVC (a guy on OSO made sweet ones this way) but I can't find any large diameter stuff locally. At this point I'm ready to go billet and be done with it.

Do you guys think mounting them on the front wall of the engine compartment in each corner would be a good option? I don't have access to my boat yet, if any 22ZX guys could check their setup and let me know if they think the fender holders would fit there I'd appreciate it. They are about 1 foot tall by 10" in diameter. If there's enough room I think mounting one in each corner might work as long as they are well away from the engine. I have the diamond plate as the wall surface so I assume I can mount right to that.

What do you guys think?

John

Just hang them over the side like all the cruiser guys do....looks sharp and functional too...:rofl:

But really the pvc idea is a good one , I am working on right now just not sure where to find 8 inch pipe

Air 22
05-02-2009, 08:08 PM
What do you guys think?
John

John..sorry to stray from ur question but I just noticed your location...Loundonville, NY...I went to Siena..and was a firefighter/engineer with Shaker Road Loudonville F. D back in the late 80's....small world...:cool:
I will be up for the LG Dust-Off and 4th of July w our 22C...we need to run together sometime..:wink:

The Hedgehog
05-02-2009, 08:16 PM
The firewall looks kind of short but I am considering it. I will probably measure it next week

Last Tango
05-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Hmmmm...
I really haven't thought this one out fully, yet. But...

I just keep them in the cuddy in a red net bag (West Marine) along with the extra docklines. I figure that fenders are something I want to have handy, and easy for even a non-boater to grab.

Having to raise the engine cover first before docking might not be my (your) first choice. The engine would still be running and the lines on the fenders might get caught up in the spinning belt drives when being extracted from the holders, particularly by landlubbers not thinking about the safety stuff.
(Open the pod bay door, HAL. )

My boat has "stuff" in those corners (wires, cables, hoses) but not anything that would prohibit mounting there.

It would look sanitary, but is it really practical? I dunno.

That idea is used in much larger boats, particularly the race and poker run boats that don't have any storage "below."

Donzi LG
05-02-2009, 09:32 PM
John..sorry to stray from ur question but I just noticed your location...Loundonville, NY...I went to Siena..and was a firefighter/engineer with Shaker Road Loudonville F. D back in the late 80's....small world...:cool:
I will be up for the LG Dust-Off and 4th of July w our 22C...we need to run together sometime..:wink:

I'm a Siena grad as well and live right near the firehouse! Did you know another firefighter named Dennis there? Small world indeed. Hopefully sometime this summer we'll meet up on the lake. I'll be out on the water in my ZX hopefully the weekend of the DustOff so I hope to see some of the crew out there.

Donzi LG
05-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Hmmmm...
I just keep them in the cuddy in a red net bag (West Marine) along with the extra docklines. I figure that fenders are something I want to have handy, and easy for even a non-boater to grab.
Having to raise the engine cover first before docking might not be my (your) first choice. The engine would still be running and the lines on the fenders might get caught up in the spinning belt drives when being extracted from the holders, particularly by landlubbers not thinking about the safety stuff.
My boat has "stuff" in those corners (wires, cables, hoses) but not anything that would prohibit mounting there.
That idea is used in much larger boats, particularly the race and poker run boats that don't have any storage "below."

Good points for sure but the thing is I've realized it's rare that I ever need to grab them quickly. They are pretty much in the way until I need them but that's usually after I'm anchored and someone comes along. It's usually a situation where I'm anchored or I have plenty of time to access them. I have the large fenders; they take a lot of room but are really needed when the lake gets rough while tied together.

Air 22
05-02-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm a Siena grad as well and live right near the firehouse! Did you know another firefighter named Dennis there? Small world indeed. Hopefully sometime this summer we'll meet up on the lake. I'll be out on the water in my ZX hopefully the weekend of the DustOff so I hope to see some of the crew out there.

John..I remember one Dennis..big guy..drove a ford f-150...The Leonardo brother's were in command back the Dave was chief..I went out of Station #2mostly..it was close to the campus. I ran engine 446, mini attack 447 and resuce 9. The new Truck 9 at station #1 had just come on line when I started my new career flying.

Look fwd to meeting up w ya...We will be at the Treasure Cove on LG...cabin on the water...look me up:wink:

FWIW..I had the fender holder's in bilge area..attached to the seat bulkhead...the boat came that way..I removed them...pain in the a$$ to get to in a hurry. I was also worried about loose lines getting caught in the pulley's etc...

The Hedgehog
05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
Hmmmm...

You let non-boaters in your boat?

rtgogo
05-03-2009, 06:25 PM
I thought about the same, but abandoned the idea for the same reasons noted in the thread (PITA to access and running motor). Have you considered mounting the racks to the inside walls of the cuddy (on each side of the door)? You could grab them fairly easy when needed an keep them stored out of the way on the interior walls.

Ghost
05-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Seems like if you don't need them for your usual docking, only for raft-ups, the motor compartment should be fine, and the motor should be off when you are getting to them.

I like your PVC idea, and if you capped one end and just drilled some drain holes, you could probably put the lines in first, with fenders on top, and make it *much* more unlikely that anyone would ever get the lines near any of the motor belts, even if someone made the mistake of stowing/retrieving with the engine running. Also, if it's rare enough that you use them any way other than hanging from your own cleats, depending on the type of fenders you have, you might put fixed-length loops on them, so you can hang them without even having to cleat any lines. Then you wouldn't have any real amount of line to risk getting into the belts anyhow.

Trueser
05-03-2009, 10:00 PM

What do you guys think?

John

Do you have an anchor locker on the Bow? I just made changes mine and I should be able to fit the anchor and possibly 2 fenders.

The Hedgehog
05-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Do you have an anchor locker on the Bow? I just made changes mine and I should be able to fit the anchor and possibly 2 fenders.

I would like to know more about that. Pics?

Trueser
05-03-2009, 10:51 PM
You looking for one of these? 2 fenders for sure.

The Hedgehog
05-04-2009, 07:55 AM
You looking for one of these? 2 fenders for sure.

Nice. I will be making one of those for sure.

Trueser
05-04-2009, 08:54 AM
Hedge,
Untested but I really think it will remain in place. You can see some of the damage when it dropped out of the factory holder. Thought about that one all winter.

Anyway you can measure it up # AOTH...

The Hedgehog
05-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Hedge,
Untested but I really think it will remain in place. You can see some of the damage when it dropped out of the factory holder. Thought about that one all winter.

Anyway you can measure it up # AOTH...

Thanks, I will take you up on that. I would like a ride in that bad boy as well.

Splash
05-04-2009, 09:31 AM
John,
I have a 26ZX and I store the bumpers up in the anchor compartment in the bow. I use every inch of our boat since I have triplets that are 7 and a older son as well. I posted some time ago about how people store their anchors, I almost had it go throug the side of the anchor locker from bouncing around. I found the correct size eyelits to thread on the back side of the bow clip you connect your wench to when cranking the boat onto the trailer. I now put 2 bumpers underneath the anchor and one between the anchor and the back wall of the compartment and strap it down. The 4th bumper I just throw in the compartment, I have a good size Anchor and I can fit (2) 100' lines and 4 bumpers.
I have dual batteries in the engine compartment but that's where I put all the bag chairs which I strap down.
Kind of got off track with the Anchor stuff but I can't believe they don't give you some type of holder for the anchor, most holders like to hang the Anchor which would not work in the ZX's. I don't see why you couldn't mount the holders on the wall inside the engine comparment, I'm just not comfortable with only 2 bumpers and I don't see how you could fit 4 back there.
Jim

Trueser
05-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks, I will take you up on that. I would like a ride in that bad boy as well.

I will add you to the list.