PDA

View Full Version : Yo Weasel and Tex

The Hedgehog
05-02-2009, 06:13 PM
I went on a solo kayak exploration today. I have been wanting to hit this creek that is about 15 min from the house. I have not heard about anyone running it so I thought I would check it out myself. I feel sure it has probably been run.

What I thought would have some rolling class II had some stuff that would lay the smackdown on you. The big ledge drop is a 12 footer. Being solo (which is not a good idea anyway, especially on first descents), I walked it. Oh I will be back for that one. The cool part is that it ended up at Pate's Ford marina where I got out and ordered a beer and a burger. Then my friend Kyle gave me a ride back to my truck.

Here are a few pics

BUIZILLA
05-02-2009, 06:17 PM
with all the rain that's gonna be around the next 8-9 days, that creek will be rippin'

i'll be there on the 10th :yes:

Last Real Texan
05-02-2009, 06:37 PM
Pic 4 is a beautiful surf wave for some flat spins....what are the consequences behind it? nice run Bill.....

Tex

The Hedgehog
05-02-2009, 07:09 PM
Pic 4 is a beautiful surf wave for some flat spins....what are the consequences behind it? nice run Bill.....

Tex

Nothing but a bunch of class II behind that wave. There was a ton of waves like that. I passed on all of them for fear of what was behind the corner:eek: It was a good thing because there was a few stomping holes. I got worked a time or two. There is not a lonelier feeling than doing a solo run in a creek you don't know and getting worked. Well maybe getting worked above a class IV-V drop on 13,000 cfs of water at night after you lost your buddies but that is another story!:shocking:

I was very impressed with this run. It will probably get smaller in time. 1-3 inches of rain and I will be there a good bit for the surfing.

The Hedgehog
05-02-2009, 07:10 PM
with all the rain that's gonna be around the next 8-9 days, that creek will be rippin'

i'll be there on the 10th :yes:

You need to let me know when you get here. This bad boy probably has a one day window.

The Hedgehog
05-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Here are a couple of the creek that is one drainage over. It is called Pine Creek (Buiz should know there this is on the lake). It has that 30 footer you see. I need to stretch my sack out a little more before I get back on things like that. It might be 20 minutes from the house. I have been over to look at that drop a few times and it freaks me out.

I also included a couple of POV shots of my new creek and a nice waterfall where you paddle out on the lake.

BUIZILLA
05-02-2009, 07:37 PM
I know the last shot...

dunno about the first two unless that's the Rock Island feeder?

The Hedgehog
05-02-2009, 07:44 PM
I know the last shot...

dunno about the first two unless that's the Rock Island feeder?

The first two are a Center Hill feeder. Pine Creek makes a nice slew around the Four Seasons area. You cross it on 56 between Smithville and McMinnville (close to Smithville). It is a small stream up there.

Good eye on the last one. You go up the creek past Pates Ford and it is one the right.

CH is great this time of the year when the waterfalls are cranking. There are dozens of them.

The Hedgehog
05-04-2009, 02:06 PM
Buiz, you should see a nice full lake. I was at Rock Island earlier and it was pumping in close to 100,000 cfs. It made for some cool video. I dunno if they are running gates at Center Hill dam as they are trying to keep Nashville from getting flooded out.

BTW, my creek is also a stocked trout stream.

BUIZILLA
05-04-2009, 02:41 PM
I think the dam HAS to stay open due to the repairs.... I know we had a little water in the basement room last night with all of this weekends rain, that's a first in 14 years... :nilly: :bonk:

Donziweasel
05-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Pretty cool Bill. Now, how would Christine feel if she knew you went down something like that solo?:wink::)

Snake is starting to show life. Running around 6000. Going to be a late runoff, she should run BIG......:wink:

Been cool though, and not much relief in site. Even snowed a little last night.....

The Hedgehog
05-04-2009, 09:21 PM
Pretty cool Bill. Now, how would Christine feel if she knew you went down something like that solo?:wink::)
Snake is starting to show life. Running around 6000. Going to be a late runoff, she should run BIG......:wink:
Been cool though, and not much relief in site. Even snowed a little last night.....

Oh she knew about it. It is all good as long as she does not see the pics. I may go run it tomorrow afternoon.

Hmmm, the Snake....

Last Real Texan
05-04-2009, 09:38 PM
Oh she knew about it. It is all good as long as she does not see the pics. I may go run it tomorrow afternoon.
Hmmm, the Snake....
Looks like it may be time to bust out my creek boat!

Donzi Vol
05-04-2009, 10:46 PM
Um, do I see someone going DOWN that drop? Is that something that someone does on purpose?!

The Hedgehog
05-05-2009, 07:28 AM
Um, do I see someone going DOWN that drop? Is that something that someone does on purpose?!

Not only on purpose but for fun!

Tex, you will want to bring that play boat on this one. I was talking to Clay about the 30 footer yesterday. A big five foot flake of rock broke off the middle. Yikes. Oh well, it is not like I am running 30 footers anymore. Once I hit the low 30's of age the appeal of dropping off waterfalls as high as a 3 story building was not there anymore. Especially after seeing what Short Creek falls did to Jim's back.

I might to run Sink again today if I can knock out some work in the am and it is holding in the afternoon. It will probably be kind of low by then. I think that I am going to name the drop with the bad hole "Donkey Punch."

The Hedgehog
05-05-2009, 08:08 AM
The first pis is Donkey Punch. It is on my new creek. Tex and Weasel will understand the significance of the hydraulic that has a mean back flow and an eddy line that circulates into the undecut wall.

The low head dam is the Barren Fork in McMinnville yesterday. Yikes. The others are Rock Island at somewhere between 80,000 and 100,000 CFS. Buiz should appreciat these. That is HUGE by all standards. The kayaker I talked to, ran it the day before. He is a world class boater and he said it was big. He described the water as having a plastic feeling. Anyone that has paddled flood water wil know what this means. Lot's of funny water surging and moving with 15 foot explosion waves.

I have a bunch of AVI's and other pics if you want them Buiz. The view from the top of the dam at Rock Island was crazy. The Caney Fork electric guys were nice enough to let me snap a few pics and video before I had to leave. The pool at RI is 496 when it gets to the bottom of the gates. It peaked at 508. That is a 12 foot slab of water going over!

Donziweasel
05-05-2009, 09:53 AM
Bill is right, hydraulics are not fun and a bitch. If you get caught in one, we call it getting Maytagged. You run it, but the water below it is actually running very fast back up river. If you don't clear it, it will actually pull you back into the rapid, and more than likely you will go under. Then you get spit out again below the rapid in the backwash. Back into the rapid you go, over and over.

I have portaged a few class V ones..........very dangerous.......

Be careful Bill.:wink::crossfing: