PDA

View Full Version : Montauk with Donzi?

rbarna
05-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Friends are renting a house out on Montauk Long Island.... I'm considering bringing the Minx out there... any thoughts? Is it a good place to boat around? Good public launch? Anyone have experience?

Thanks!

-Ross

Marlin275
05-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I have taken my boat there many times and it's great!
There is a public launch on Lake Montauk,
need a parking permit in season,
on West Lake Drive just past Star Island.
If its rough in the ocean you can race around this lake at high tide.
The ocean usually has nice rollers but you have to pick your days carefully.
Fort Pond Bay has great swimming and diving and fun sand hills.
Gardners Island looks beautiful.

One of the best boating areas!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcmJY3NTF7Y

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45521&d=1241285583

DonziJon
05-02-2009, 12:54 PM
Friends are renting a house out on Montauk Long Island.... I'm considering bringing the Minx out there... any thoughts? Is it a good place to boat around? Good public launch? Anyone have experience?

Thanks!

-Ross

Depends on how you intend to get the boat out to Montalk. I drove my Minx out to Block Island from Newport, RI once. Once was enough. If you trail the boat out to Montalk overland with a trailer, it's a nice place to putt around, and plenty of sheltered water. Get the Charts for Eastern Long Island.

Draw a pencil line on your chart from Watch Hill, RI out to the South West corner of Block Island. During the summer, the area EAST of that line, the wind will start to BLOW after Noon. NO place for a Classic. The area WEST of that line which includes Montalk, it much less windy. However, you really have to watch the weather (Wind) if you intend to get far from land .

I have Sailed that area for over 40 years. :) John

mattyboy
05-02-2009, 01:24 PM
just remember this when you are dangling your feet overboard :eek: :shark:

all know what I do for a livin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiVgrQDB6hU

fasttrucker
05-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I went on a two day tuna fishing boat trip from montauk.We caught 4 fish,50# tuna,s.The ride out was the worst weather Ive ever been in.Big seas.Man I got sick.wow.(shouldnt have pounded that beer)Then things calmed down and it was nice coming back the next day.No place for a small boat, going out to sea.

RedDog
05-02-2009, 02:21 PM
I have taken my boat there many times and it's great!
There is a public launch on Lake Montauk,
need a parking permit in season,
on West Lake Drive just past Star Island.
If its rough in the ocean you can race around this lake at high tide.
The ocean usually has nice rollers but you have to pick your days carefully.
Fort Pond Bay has great swimming and diving and fun sand hills.
Gardners Island looks beautiful.

One of the best boating areas!

Hey Marlin - great video. But how was it filmed? Seems the camera was following you along the shore...

MOP
05-02-2009, 02:38 PM
Montauk is about 1:15 minutes run from my ramp with the 22, I am way up bay in Jamesport even better boating. Mario and I ran out of Shinnicock Inlet and played in the ocean for a bit. I ran out to Montauk with my 16 years back was like a lake going and a storm coming home, both Bonnie and I were soaked but still was fun.

Phil

rbarna
05-02-2009, 03:45 PM
I was planning on trailering it from piermont, NY -> Montauk. Staying near the lake.

Would it be totally crazy to cruise from Piermont to Montauk in a day or two?

Marlin275
05-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Hey Marlin - great video. But how was it filmed? Seems the camera was following you along the shore...

It was filmed in the Atlantic from Ditch Plains Beach in Montauk.
My wife and kids were at the surfer beach and I went around the lighthouse point to meet them. Great day!

And yes you have to pick your days
cause that day was delightful and another day
I was in the worst conditions ever in my X-18
5-6 Ft waves and blowing like hell!
Going into the wind was unreal and turning around and
going down wind was not too bad!

I launch in Yonkers just down from Piermont!
Montauk Lake is a lot of fun
just be careful at anything other than high tide!

DonziJon
05-02-2009, 06:56 PM
I was planning on trailering it from piermont, NY -> Montauk. Staying near the lake.

Would it be totally crazy to cruise from Piermont to Montauk in a day or two?

Don't know where Piermont is..I'm looking at my Aircraft Sectional Chart of Long Island and don't see it. I'm too lazy to dig out my Nautical Charts. Where is Piermont near? John

Air 22
05-02-2009, 07:01 PM
just remember this when you are dangling your feet overboard :eek: :shark:
all know what I do for a livin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiVgrQDB6hU

I was think'n the same thing...:eek::wink:

DonziJon
05-02-2009, 07:25 PM
Back in my Early Days of Solo Sailing I used to do Singlehanded trips from Block Island to ..Say ..Menemsha,,..Marthas Vineyard....40 miles or so. Pretty much open ocean. The boat had Self Steering. I would jump over the side and allow myself to be dragged through the water at..say 6 Knots..on the end of a dockline. OOH AAh...OOH AAh....:) You could actually lose your suit.

Then the movie JAWS came out. I discontinued the practice of being dragged along behind the boat. SHARK BAIT. Strange but true. :yes: John

Air 22
05-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Don't know where Piermont is..I'm looking at my Aircraft Sectional Chart of Long Island and don't see it. I'm too lazy to dig out my Nautical Charts. Where is Piermont near? John

http://skyvector.com/

on the NY Area VFR sectional chart its just below the Tappan Zee Bridge and near Orangeburg, NY(route 303) and (route 340)and St Thomas Aquinas College

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Piermont,+ny+map&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=YuD8SY-VC5WEtwf_iaTGCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

That would be quite the run in any Classic...maybe on the Sound side of LI but off Jones Beach, Moriches out past the Hamptons...wow...:)

DonziJon
05-02-2009, 07:51 PM
http://skyvector.com/
on the NY Area VFR sectional chart its just below the Tappan Zee Bridge and near Orangeburg, NY(route 303) and (route 340)and St Thomas Aquinas College
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Piermont,+ny+map&rls=com.microsoft:en-us:IE-SearchBox&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=ie7&rlz=1I7DKUS_en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=us&ei=YuD8SY-VC5WEtwf_iaTGCg&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1
That would be quite the run in any Classic...maybe on the Sound side of LI but off Jones Beach, Moriches out past the Hamptons...wow...:)

Thanks AIR 22. I can see it on the Google Map but not on the NY Sectional...However I think I can see the little peninsula on the west side of the Hudson on the Sectional.

That trip from Piermont to Montalk would be an ADVENTURE. If I were 24 again I might try it. The problem would be where to DOCK at night..and where to STAY at night. The SECURITY of the Boat while docked would be PARAMOUNT in my mind. At this point in my life..with my current attitudes..and experience, I would NOT do it. (I'm 67). Fun to think about it though. :lookaroun: John

zelatore
05-02-2009, 08:17 PM
Back in my Early Days of Solo Sailing I used to do Singlehanded trips from Block Island to ..Say ..Menemsha,,..Marthas Vineyard....40 miles or so. Pretty much open ocean. The boat had Self Steering. I would jump over the side and allow myself to be dragged through the water at..say 6 Knots..on the end of a dockline. OOH AAh...OOH AAh....:) You could actually lose your suit.
Then the movie JAWS came out. I discontinued the practice of being dragged along behind the boat. SHARK BAIT. Strange but true. :yes: John

Forget about the sharks....that's just freakin' crazy! :shocking:

And it's not like sailboats are exactly low freeboard.

One of my dock maintenance guys took a spill in SF Bay a couple weeks ago while sailing single-handed. He grabbed a line on his way in and hung on, but couldn't get back in the boat (a mid-40' cruising boat, don't know what it is). Luckily somebody spotted him and the Coast Guard plucked him out before hypothermia set in.

Marlin275
05-02-2009, 09:07 PM

Jon,

It is next to Nyack just south of the Tappan Zee bridge across from Irvington NY.

The Erie Railroad built the long pier in 1839 as its principal terminal.
Piermont was used for steamboat docking.
During WW2 they left for the war in Europe from there.

There is mud and silt built up in front of the pier and
we go swimming there in August when it gets too damn hot.

rbarna
05-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Piermont is 26nm north of downtown manhattan.

But it doesn't really matter, as I live in manhattan... so I could start from chelsea piers, head up the east river, through the throgs neck, into Long Island Sound and follow the Long Island Shore East.

It looks like approx 90nm.

Assuming good weather, how long would it take to cover that distance?
With a 350 mag and a 23 cleaver, what kinda range should I be getting?
What sort of cruising speed would be the best balance of fuel efficiency and speed?

I would take a couple guys with me as crew and relief captains.

Open to ideas on where to stop on the trip... fuel?

-Ross

VetteLT193
05-02-2009, 10:39 PM
Piermont is 26nm north of downtown manhattan.

But it doesn't really matter, as I live in manhattan... so I could start from chelsea piers, head up the east river, through the throgs neck, into Long Island Sound and follow the Long Island Shore East.

It looks like approx 90nm.

What sort of cruising speed would be the best balance of fuel efficiency and speed?

I would take a couple guys with me as crew and relief captains.

Open to ideas on where to stop on the trip... fuel?

-Ross

Efficiency, speed,etc are hard to tell on a 20 year old boat. a lot of stuff is probably changed and it's hard to tell how perfect everything is.

I'd guess 3200 is a good RPM. That should be mid 30's MPH. at least that feels good in my boat anyway...

MDonziM
05-03-2009, 08:14 AM
I have boated long Island sound all my life. The East end of Long Island has some great boating.Where MOP is talking about (Peconic bay, Shelter Island etc.) I spent 5 days on Shelter Island last summer with my 22 and it was awesome. Montauk, I dont know but it is at the "point" of no return for a classic. Open unprotected ocean. I have sailed the ocean many times, you could hit just the right conditions, but you are flirting with disaster in a Donzi.

Coming from the Hudson, around NYC is pretty cool but is also quite dangerous in a single engine classic. Potential rough water, enormous amounts of water debris, big, big currents. From where I live (Oyster Bay LI ) to Orient Point LI is not that pretty or senic.

My advice...TRAILER your boat to Sag Harbor or Three mile Harbor and enjoy the East End.

Marshall

BigGrizzly
05-03-2009, 08:45 AM
Like everyone says it is good but pick your days. The real problem is that when a storm comes it is quick so when you see it head home. Just have fun. I lived on the Jersey shore the first 30 years of my life. Thousands of hours in the ocean in a 16.

DonziJon
05-03-2009, 10:47 AM
Forget about the sharks....that's just freakin' crazy! :shocking:
And it's not like sailboats are exactly low freeboard.

DON: Back in those days I was a Wild And Crazy Guy. :lookaroun: I've mellowed a lot in my old age. I don't even ride my motorcycles anymore. TOO Freakin Dangerous. :bonk: John

Marlin275
05-03-2009, 10:50 AM

You can't assume anything.
It could take you 3 hours or 3 days . . .
The weather changes constantly
as MOP said, he headed out in flat water
and got beaten up on the way back in rough water.

If you go out by boat
you have no place to keep your boat when you get there
and you pay gas dock prices the whole vacation.
When it rains hard at night you have to hope the boat won't sink.

Trailer is the answer.

mattyboy
05-03-2009, 11:12 AM
You can't assume anything.
It could take you 3 hours or 3 days . . .

about the same time on the LIE ;)

MOP
05-03-2009, 11:46 AM
The worst part of that trip is getting through the Southampton area, they have gone to lane swapping to help the flow in the heavier direction. One Monday it took me over 1 hour to go the 4 miles on Sunrise Hwy and another 45 min to get to Montauk Hwy. That was one of the reasons I bought the 22C, for business I had to be able to get out and back to the south fork with clients in a reasonable time frame. By road you could easily shoot the whole day, running over in the 22 was 45 min and fun most of the time. Yes there were wet & wild moments, but most boaters are pretty decent sports!!! IMO when you tow out leave around mid night so you come through in the wee hours and get there about 4AM, that way you will breeze through and not sit there:cussball::cussball: