PDA

View Full Version : 27' Aero

Conquistador_del_mar
05-02-2009, 10:07 AM
Yesterday, I agreed to buy the 27' Aero from my friend who got it this week. I thought $2000 was too good a deal to pass up a 27' Magnum clone. It measures out to be an exact copy of my Magnum 27' sport. I will probably put it on the back burner for a while. Here is a link to the pictures of it again. Does anyone know a supplier of old Sternpower drive parts? Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=469484&postcount=64

BlownCrewCab
05-02-2009, 07:32 PM
Wow you are lucky, that boat with a slightly modified big block and a bravo drive is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. add some decent chop or even some decent 3',4', waves and it tops having your clothes off (unless your driving it naked) The original twin magnum is cool as heck, but if you wanna go out and fly, and be aggressive is nasty water the single is da chit:yes:. enjoy it..

superhatz
05-02-2009, 08:32 PM
Bill...I think Stern Powr is still in biz?

smidgen too
05-02-2009, 09:12 PM
Yesterday, I agreed to buy the 27' Aero from my friend who got it this week. I thought $2000 was too good a deal to pass up a 27' Magnum clone. It measures out to be an exact copy of my Magnum 27' sport. I will probably put it on the back burner for a while. Here is a link to the pictures of it again. Does anyone know a supplier of old Sternpower drive parts? Bill

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=469484&postcount=64
Bill it is a exact copy I was there when Clem pulled the mold off the Double Vision Magnum. Mark

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2009, 01:06 AM
Wow you are lucky, that boat with a slightly modified big block and a bravo drive is the most fun you can have with your clothes on. add some decent chop or even some decent 3',4', waves and it tops having your clothes off (unless your driving it naked) The original twin magnum is cool as heck, but if you wanna go out and fly, and be aggressive is nasty water the single is da chit:yes:. enjoy it..

Now that is a glowing testamonial - thanks. I have never driven a boat of my own larger than a 24' Excalibur, but I know these hulls will make the Excalibur seem like a toy. I plan to have one of them restored and running this year - probably the Magnum.

Bill...I think Stern Powr is still in biz?

Aaron,
Somehow, I had forgotten about a discussion concerning Stern Powr. I thought the old parts for their bullet drives were not available, but I will be finding out. The drive fluid is clear and the hydraulic ram steering built into the base of the transom assembly still works. It has a Velvet drive 72C 1:1 tranny. Who knows - maybe it is salvageable. Thanks.

Bill it is a exact copy I was there when Clem pulled the mold off the Double Vision Magnum. Mark

Thanks. I always thought a copy entailed making slight modifications, but your observation is obviously correct. I made at least 6 critical measurements which confirm this. The only differences I have seen so far are that the deck seems flatter with no buldge or rise, but that might be due to having only one forward bulkhead. Also there is apparently only one fuel tank under the floor instead of two under the forward "berth". I will report any other things I notice after I have had a chance to really study the boat. Bill

BUIZILLA
05-03-2009, 05:16 AM
2k on a trailer?

wow............... :nilly:

Last Real Texan
05-03-2009, 07:56 AM
Let me know if the Aero project gets to be to much for you...I will take it off your hands....seriously.

Tex

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2009, 09:52 AM
2k on a trailer?

wow............... :nilly:

It does not come with a trailer for the $2K.

Let me know if the Aero project gets to be to much for you...I will take it off your hands....seriously.

Tex

Sounds good. I will keep you in mind. Bill

smidgen too
05-03-2009, 11:03 AM
[Thanks. I always thought a copy entailed making slight modifications, but your observation is obviously correct. I made at least 6 critical measurements which confirm this. The only differences I have seen so far are that the deck seems flatter with no buldge or rise, but that might be due to having only one forward bulkhead. Also there is apparently only one fuel tank under the floor instead of two under the forward "berth". I will report any other things I notice after I have had a chance to really study the boat. Bill[/quote]

When Clem made the mold the only change was the dash. Back in the day the Double Vision owner Bob Lish made a small cabin under the deck by removing the bow tanks. Clem did the same thing with the Aero, that's why you have one center gas tank. Clem made changes, but not to the outer appearance, the cabin was the only good change. The Double Vision was a single engine race boat from day one by Magnum, so her deck may be a little flatter from all the hard racing. :D:D

Conquistador_del_mar
05-03-2009, 11:28 AM
[When Clem made the mold the only change was the dash. Back in the day the Double Vision owner Bob Lish made a small cabin under the deck by removing the bow tanks. Clem did the same thing with the Aero, that's why you have one center gas tank. Clem made changes, but not to the outer appearance, the cabin was the only good change. The Double Vision was a single engine race boat from day one by Magnum, so her deck may be a little flatter from all the hard racing. :D:D

I should have added that there is no triangular bow deck insert on the Aero, which is another notable change that I have seen. I suppose a functional cabin would be considered an improvement by some, but in my case it will only be used for storage. I think the extra strength of the additional bulkheads in the Magnum is more important, but I suppose it all depends on how a guy were going to use the boat. Thanks for the information. Bill

ITTLFLI
05-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Very cool! Great buy!

Last Real Texan
05-04-2009, 03:20 PM
It does not come with a trailer for the $2K.

Sounds good. I will keep you in mind. Bill

Please do I have been looking for a project....

Tex

Conquistador_del_mar
05-19-2009, 11:07 AM
Please do I have been looking for a project....

Tex

Tex,
Here is a comparable boat project - these things are built like rocks. Check out the cross members in the engine compartment. I remember that the one I once had was built the same way. I have no idea what reserve the seller might have, but I am watching it in My Ebay. Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250426010410&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

Last Real Texan
05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Tex,
Here is a comparable boat project - these things are built like rocks. Check out the cross members in the engine compartment. I remember that the one I once had was built the same way. I have no idea what reserve the seller might have, but I am watching it in My Ebay. Bill

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250426010410&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=
Thanks
watching it as well...it is only a quick 6 hour ride from me....thinking what to do for power....HMMMMMMMM would be fun to try and convert it to a big single but it would really take some ponies to get it to run...

Not sure if it is a surface drive application or not...don't really think so but I am investigating...

Tex

Conquistador_del_mar
05-21-2009, 11:11 AM
Thanks
watching it as well...it is only a quick 6 hour ride from me....thinking what to do for power....HMMMMMMMM would be fun to try and convert it to a big single but it would really take some ponies to get it to run...

Not sure if it is a surface drive application or not...don't really think so but I am investigating...

Tex

I would like to know if you get it. I still regret not restoring the one I once owned. There is only about 4 hours to go in the auction at the time I am writing this. Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
06-04-2009, 06:46 PM
I picked up the Aero this afternoon. Mike and I met at the ramp, and he dropped it into the lake while I loaded it on to my trailer. It will need some considerable work, but it is in much better condition than the Magnum 27 sport I am restoring. Here are a few pictures from this afternoon including one of some other fun RC boats. Bill