PDA

View Full Version : A new Freaking problem

dolens
05-01-2009, 06:48 PM
Well, I just got back from taking the boat out. I didn't make it too far though. As soon as I got to a spot where I could hit the throttle, the boat started to accelerate and than it stopped, but I was pushing the throttle down even more. It felt as if the prop was slipping? Basically I was giving it gas, it started to move and than the more gas I gave it, it stopped accelerating and the engine continued to rev higher?

What is this?

DonziJon
05-01-2009, 06:52 PM
Well, I just got back from taking the boat out. I didn't make it too far though. As soon as I got to a spot where I could hit the throttle, the boat started to accelerate and than it stopped, but I was pushing the throttle down even more. It felt as if the prop was slipping? Basically I was giving it gas, it started to move and than the more gas I gave it, it stopped accelerating and the engine continued to rev higher?
What is this?

Smell any burning rubber?? John

mattyboy
05-01-2009, 06:54 PM
if the boat runs ok at idle speed and won't plane off and revs high u have spun your prop hub

Air 22
05-01-2009, 06:58 PM
you may be spinning the hub in your prop...with the engine OFF put your shifter into fwd...then go back and se if you can turn your prop by hand. If you can...you prob need a new prop-hub. If you have a solid hub prop..then you may have a drive or shifting issues. Please post more info if its not the prop. Other's here I'm sure can help you.:wink:

dolens
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
If its the prop hub, how expensive is it to fix?

I just checked the prop. With the boat off in and forward gear, I can spin the prop in a clockwise direction. With the boat in reverse gear I can spin the prop in a counterclockwise direction. In neutral I can spin the prop both ways..

I think I might know how this happened. I have my boat on a lift. Its a little shallow where the prop is when the boat is sitting on the lift. I have to drive the boat onto and off of the lift, because the boat lift sits in shallow water. If the prop is hitting the bottom of the lake and kicking up dirt as I drive it on and off of the lift, would this loosen the prop? I do keep the trim up as I am doing this

mattyboy
05-01-2009, 08:30 PM
power loading and unloading in shallow water is not a good idea
hitting the bottom will be hard on all the moving parts,especially the prop hub they are made to sacrifice them selves when the prop hits something, not to mention sucking up silt and muck into the engine

see if the lift can be moved to deeper water or if the back of the lift can be lowered. we have dug out were the back leg rest on some lifts to gain some water.

to see if the hub is spun try pulling the prop when it is in gear pull the way it doesn't want to spin wear gloves

MOP
05-01-2009, 08:34 PM
The prop is on a spline even if it were a bit loose it would still work, you have one of two think prop hub or engine coupler. Pray for prop hub!

Phil

dolens
05-02-2009, 07:17 AM
I will have it looked at on Tuesday. I hope that's all it is. I'm going to have to remove the lift, and just tie the boat at the dock for now, until I can get someone to dredge the bottom a little to make the lift sit deeper.

I never really though the prop was hitting the bottom of the lake, when I was backing off the lift. Its about 4-5 ft deep where the prop is when the boat is on there, but I do see silt sturring up, whenever I back off, but I figured that was just from the wash of the prop

BUIZILLA
05-02-2009, 07:51 AM
put another prop on there and don't worry about the dredging for now, if there is no visible damage to the blades the hub just gave up, not uncommon... if the boat goes on and off the lift I would say it's deep enough. it only draws about 32" or so dead still, i've stirred up silt with 2' clearance under the blade

dolens
05-02-2009, 08:31 AM
It spins clockwise in forward gear pretty easily. I did however just talk to my mechanic and told him what it was doing. He know I live in a cove that is very heavily weeded right now, and he said that its probably just weeds, wrapping around the prop, and when I go to take off, its pushing air vs water?? He said if I just throw it in reverse, it should knock them all off and and I should be fine. Im going to try it tonight after I get home from work. The weeds are about 5-6 feet tall in our cove, and the water is only 6 feet deep, so their at the surface. I never thought weeds could cause this issue?

chappy
05-02-2009, 08:33 AM

What is this?

Was your drive all the way down when you hit the throttle for the first time?

Or was it still trimmed up from being on the lift?

Just Say N20
05-02-2009, 08:38 AM
That makes perfect sense. Weeds around the prop could make it perform as you describe. You would seem to go more slowly at idle than usual.

People are suggesting you try to turn the prop in the direction it won't spin. That would tell you if the hub had let go. If it spins freely with it in forward going clockwise, try to spin the prop counter-clockwise. And "spin" probably isn't the right word. More like "honk on it with both hands" to see if it will move at all. Wearing gloves.

If it was the hub, and not weeds around the prop, it will take a bit of muscle to get it to move, because even spun, it will still have what seems like a lot of "grab" from a human muscle perspective. It is designed to hold when 300 hp is trying to twist it loose.

mattyboy
05-02-2009, 08:57 AM
I live in a highly weedy lake and it could be a weed problem but if it was there would be visual evidence of such when you tested the hub was there any sign of weeds under the prop near the shaft cause just throwing it in reverse will not get every piece of weeds off??? plus when i would tangled up and fouled with weeds I never noticed a jump in rpms just a sluggish response and a willingness not to move

you'll get it figured out

you would be surprised at what an inch or 2 will do for a lift a rake or shovel will give you what you need no need for dredging

Good point chappy I always forget about trim it could be blowout there would be a noticible change in noise as the prop breaks free as it is surrounded by air
JN20 I didn't say spin I said pull :rolleyes: also if the hub is spun there will be visual signs as well like the material the hub is made of either oozing out if it is rubber or if it is metallic little shavings might been seen around the area of where the hub and prop meet

dolens
05-02-2009, 09:00 AM
Yea, I did try to spin it counterclockwise as well, as much as I could without getting into the water, and with both hands. It was dark, last night when I tried, so I didn't get out the waders and get into the water yet. I am going to try and run it tonight and see if it is in fact just weeds.

I believe the drive was in the full down position when I left yesterday, but I cant say for sure.

dolens
05-02-2009, 09:06 AM
I live in a highly weedy lake and it could be a weed problem but if it was there would be visual evidence of such when you tested the hub was there any sign of weeds under the prop near the shaft

Actually there were weeds on the prop, when I got back from that ride. I just didn't think twice about the weeds causing that problem, so I never mentioned it, until the mechanic mentioned it to me. I didn't think a few little weeds would make it not go.

I will still get the lift dug deeper, even if this isn't what caused the problem.

The country club is supposed to be spraying these weeds next week, and they will die in about 4-6 weeks. I guess if this is the issue, Ill just have to check the prop every time (if that's the issue).

chappy
05-02-2009, 09:19 AM
I only brought up the notion of the drive being partially up because, well, I've been there.:)

The symptons described are exactly what happened to me when a buddy pointed to the drive and said, "You know, those things are supposed to be all the way down when you nail the throttle". Then he slapped me in the back of the skull.:boggled:

I was so pumped about finally driving one, I forgot to put the drive down.:eek:

Hang in there dolens, it could be one of a few things, but you're real close.

mattyboy
05-02-2009, 09:21 AM
it is always nice to know you can pull the boat on and off the lift without power but it is not the worlds end if you can't . you'll get use to the weeds on one arm of our lake when it is bad you will see all the boats pulling out of the no wake zone with all the weeds giving it a blast in reverse before taking off on plane.

if there were weeds on the prop it could just be that, just a word of caution weeds can also clog or block your water intake so I would keep an eye on the temp gauge but as you get more time in the boat gauge scanning will become second nature.

where in NJ are you??

zelatore
05-02-2009, 09:30 AM
Oh yeah, I've done the weed thing. Amazing how fast and how totally that will kill any propulsion. And they just won't come off no matter what until you put her in reverse!

dolens
05-02-2009, 09:44 AM
I appreciate the help, once again from everyone. I may have jumped the gun on this with thinking there was an issue other than weeds, and hopefully that's the case. With just getting over the last issue of the neutral switch, I really wasn't too happy at the idea of another problem already with the donzi.

I have taken off with the drive not in the full up position, but about half way, and I just notice that my front end is pointing towards the sun!..lol

where in NJ are you??

I'm in Sparta, NJ on Lake Mohawk

mattyboy
05-02-2009, 10:13 AM
not too far from me ( greenwood lake/west milford area) and the same basic georgraphy. alot of run off from the hills and mtns around the lake taking soil and fertilizers from yards into the lake and giving the weeds a nutrient rich environment to grow. My lake is very high in phospherus lake made it way into to lake in the 50 and 60 s when it was in all the soap products that leaked out of septics and dry wells.

I know how you feel when i got my 16 i had some minor issue( as i look at it now back then i thought it was major) then every time out I was litsening to every noise waiting for the other shoe to drop. after some seat time i got used to it and the minor issues that popped up. and just started to enjoy no love riding around in it. you'll get there too

dolens
05-02-2009, 10:24 AM
We have the same issue on our lake. I think they've cleaned it up alot, but the weeds are really bad in the cove areas. Does make for great BASS fishing though!!

I haven't been to Greenwood Lake yet, for boating anyway. I gave you my email address a few months back. If you guys ever get together out there let me know. Ive seen some of your videos on you tube I think. Looks like fun,

Steve

DonziJon
05-02-2009, 10:41 AM
Avoid driving through floating patches of weeds on the surface. Besides weeds, the patches can contain other types of stuff that will give you the symptoms such as you describe.

Waterlogged paper coffee cups, plastic milk jugs and soda bottles, plastic bags, etc. Driving the boat through any of this stuff can bring you OFF Plane in seconds. As mentioned above, reverse gear at idle usually will drop the stuff off the prop. Plastic bags are another story. :bonk: John

fogducker III
05-02-2009, 10:57 AM
A sure fire way of checking for a spun prop is to scratch a "tell-tale" mark across the spline hub and the outside fixed hub of the prop itself, take it for a spin and see if the marks are lined up when you get back.....hope it was the weeds though.........:wink:

dolens
05-02-2009, 01:14 PM
So I don't start a new thread on this, I need to order New Gauge bezels and the part that your steering wheel bolts to due to corrosion. Whats the best place to order from?

dolens
05-07-2009, 08:58 AM
Turns out it was just WEED! WEED kills! lol Threw it in reverse, knocked em off and away I went.

Thanks for the help anyways.

chappy
05-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Turns out it was just WEED! WEED kills! lol Threw it in reverse, knocked em off and away I went.

Great news. If you're ever up near Wallenpaupack, shoot me a pm, we can take a run around the lake.

:thumbsup:

joseph m. hahnl
05-07-2009, 03:12 PM
If its the prop hub, how expensive is it to fix?

I just checked the prop. With the boat off in and forward gear, I can spin the prop in a clockwise direction. With the boat in reverse gear I can spin the prop in a counterclockwise direction. In neutral I can spin the prop both ways..

I think I might know how this happened. I have my boat on a lift. Its a little shallow where the prop is when the boat is sitting on the lift. I have to drive the boat onto and off of the lift, because the boat lift sits in shallow water. If the prop is hitting the bottom of the lake and kicking up dirt as I drive it on and off of the lift, would this loosen the prop? I do keep the trim up as I am doing this

The prop spins in one direction freely and will not in the other direction. what you describe here sounds normal.If its a solid prop there is nothing to sacrifice except the blades on the prop itself:shocking:. It will generally stall the motor when you hit bottom hard. my question is did you forget to tuck in the trim??? How many times did you try it. another thing to look for is something that may be free in the back like a rope or anything that could tickle the prop. One time my stern line fell into the water while I was under power"I keep it short ". It can not get tangled in the prop because it is not long enough. But it will airrate the prop so it cavitates . Any way, when it happened I was all panic thinking the coupler had let go. When I got back to the dock What a relief to find the rope in the water. A few times with my outboard running in the Merrimack river. I picked up a stick caused it to cavitate and in the fall all the leaves in the water would clog the prop and it would cavitate. Hope that helps

mattyboy
05-07-2009, 03:15 PM

Joe

get with the program ;)

joseph m. hahnl
05-07-2009, 05:04 PM
Joe

get with the program ;)

yah yah yah it was the weed :yes:. Medical I hope:eek::wink::wink::wink: