PDA

View Full Version : oil in the bilge

joseph m. hahnl
05-01-2009, 04:55 PM
well I launched the Minx today. took her for a mild cruise 4000 rpm. and all of a sudden she sounded like she fouled a plug. It kind of cleared up so I kept going. Took her for a couple WOT runs. Well when I came off plane and let her idle a bit she sounded a little rough. I was listening to the exhaust pipe. when I turned around the oil pressure dropped to 20 and the Light came on. I quick shut her off and restarted to get back to the launch. which was a football's throw away. she sounded like she was missing a cylinder. but then she was trying to run and the pressure came back up. I think the low pressure may have been from being hot and idling too low. So when I got home I shined a light along the heads on both sides no evidence of oil from the gasket area. So at further examination the only thing that was really wet and possibly dripping was the fuel pump.and the motor mount was soaked . It has one of those multi gaskets fuel pumps. I checked the oil and she went down about a quart.

So I'm thinking ruptured fuel pump diaphragm and gasket. Any one have an idea if I should look something else?

VetteLT193
05-01-2009, 05:12 PM
doesn't really explain the miss, but the leak makes sense.

Mine is Electric and I won't go back to mechanical... might be a good time to switch if you are interested in going the electric route.

My oil pressure gets pretty low after running hard then idling... in your case I'm sure it didn't help that it was a quart low either.

DonziJon
05-01-2009, 06:36 PM
well I launched the Minx today. took her for a mild cruise 4000 rpm. and all of a sudden she sounded like she fouled a plug. It kind of cleared up so I kept going. Took her for a couple WOT runs. Well when I came off plane and let her idle a bit she sounded a little rough. I was listening to the exhaust pipe. when I turned around the oil pressure dropped to 20 and the Light came on. I quick shut her off and restarted to get back to the launch. which was a football's throw away. she sounded like she was missing a cylinder. but then she was trying to run and the pressure came back up. I think the low pressure may have been from being hot and idling too low. So when I got home I shined a light along the heads on both sides no evidence of oil from the gasket area. So at further examination the only thing that was really wet and possibly dripping was the fuel pump.and the motor mount was soaked . It has one of those multi gaskets fuel pumps. I checked the oil and she went down about a quart.

So I'm thinking ruptured fuel pump diaphragm and gasket. Any one have an idea if I should look something else?

I had a 1974 TOYOTA Corolla with a mechanical fuel pump. At some point around 70K miles..not sure..I started to see oil (puddles) on the garage floor and the oil level going down. I took it to the TOY dealer and they said it was the oil pan gasket and ..whatever. I didn't believe them..cause they wanted big bucks to fix it.

I went home: Using my Eyeball..I determined the oil was coming from a little drilled hole in the fuel pump....a vent. I opened up the pump and found a perforated rubber diaphram.........however the pump still pumped fuel. ??

The mechanical fuel pump has a LEVER that sticks inside the engine and is activated by the camshaft...I think. It's been 30 years. Oil pouring down on that lever inside the engine was migrating along that pump actuating lever and running OUT the vent hole.... on the AIR/Atmosphere side of the diaphram.....onto the floor.

I replaced the fuel pump and STOPPED the flow of oil on the garage floor. It worked. Just an idea. :lookaroun: John

BigGrizzly
05-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Actually if the diaphran was ruptured it could result in low fuel pressure. lets hope.

MOP
05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
Put a dab of your engine oil on your finger, see if it has any odor of gas. Even knowing your level was low could have still gotten some fuel contamination.

Phil

mrfixxall
05-01-2009, 09:02 PM
look on the front of the engine block where the assory bracket woulf bolt to next to the harmonic ballancer. theirs two bolt holes in line (up and down) 3/8 threaded holes,the upper hole should have a 3/8 x 3/4 long bolt on that hole..if their isnt one their would be oil coming from that hole because its a open hole that goes to the fuel pump rod..no longer ther a 3/4 long golt or it will lock the fuel pump rod and bend it..

joseph m. hahnl
05-03-2009, 05:13 PM
look on the front of the engine block where the assory bracket woulf bolt to next to the harmonic ballancer. theirs two bolt holes in line (up and down) 3/8 threaded holes,the upper hole should have a 3/8 x 3/4 long bolt on that hole..if their isnt one their would be oil coming from that hole because its a open hole that goes to the fuel pump rod..no longer ther a 3/4 long golt or it will lock the fuel pump rod and bend it..

Put a dab of your engine oil on your finger, see if it has any odor of gas. Even knowing your level was low could have still gotten some fuel contamination.

Phil

Thanks I'll check that:yes:

joseph m. hahnl
05-07-2009, 04:48 PM

Okay :I checked it out and there isn't a bolt in the hole:wrench:. It does appear how ever to be a blind hole that does not go into the block where the oil pump rod is:yes:.There isn't any oil in the hole what so ever:wink:There was an article apparently written on this issue.:shades: I'm thinking it was in the earlier yrs and was eventually addressed by GM:crossfing:
I'm not certain if the hole is even tapped any more:confused:

mrfixxall
05-07-2009, 06:39 PM
[QUOTE=joseph m. hahnl;511917]Okay :I checked it out and there isn't a bolt in the hole:wrench:. It does appear how ever to be a blind hole that does not go into the block where the oil pump rod is:yes:.There isn't any oil in the hole what so ever:wink:There was an article apparently written on this issue.:shades: I'm thinking it was in the earlier yrs and was eventually addressed by GM:crossfing:
I'm not certain if the hole is even tapped any more:confused:[

i forgot to ask small block chevy?

joseph m. hahnl
05-08-2009, 08:42 AM
[quote=joseph m. hahnl;511917]Okay :I checked it out and there isn't a bolt in the hole:wrench:. It does appear how ever to be a blind hole that does not go into the block where the oil pump rod is:yes:.There isn't any oil in the hole what so ever:wink:There was an article apparently written on this issue.:shades: I'm thinking it was in the earlier yrs and was eventually addressed by GM:crossfing:
I'm not certain if the hole is even tapped any more:confused:[

i forgot to ask small block chevy?

:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes:

kcatucci
05-08-2009, 02:08 PM
FWIW, I broke a fuel pump in my Minx. The engine ran rough and smoked, but it ran thru the full rpm range. The vent on the marine fuel pump was sending engine oil into the carb. Obviously the pump worked but a gasket failed inside of it.

joseph m. hahnl
05-17-2009, 12:48 PM
I located the leak its coming from the block off plate at the fuel pump.

Odd because I put a new gasket in, just to be certain it wasn't leaking there. As much as I hate and don't believe in it especially when using new gaskets. RTV sealer

MOP
05-17-2009, 01:32 PM
I located the leak its coming from the block off plate at the fuel pump.

Odd because I put a new gasket in, just to be certain it wasn't leaking there. As much as I hate and don't believe in it especially when using new gaskets. RTV sealer

Sure it is not getting out of the pump its self?

joseph m. hahnl
05-17-2009, 02:44 PM
Sure it is not getting out of the pump its self?

No :(!! But I had my girl steer while I was down in there .I wiped all around the pump and watched .It appeared to be seeping out between the block and the block of plate where the 1/4 20 bolts are. I'm pretty confident that that's where it's leaking.

Mop :Where would it leak from the pump itself ??? It's the older style quick silver pump with the double diaphram from the 1970's to 1982
MERCURY QUICKSILVER 86246T FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY Z5 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300311335379)

MOP
05-17-2009, 03:11 PM
No :(!! But I had my girl steer while I was down in there .I wiped all around the pump and watched .It appeared to be seeping out between the block and the block of plate where the 1/4 20 bolts are. I'm pretty confident that that's where it's leaking.

Mop :Where would it leak from the pump itself ??? It's the older style quick silver pump with the double diaphram from the 1970's to 1982
MERCURY QUICKSILVER 86246T FUEL PUMP ASSEMBLY Z5 (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=300311335379)

The plate could be slightly warped, also curious how your girl could concentrate on steering while you were down in there?

joseph m. hahnl
05-17-2009, 04:37 PM
The plate could be slightly warped, also curious how your girl could concentrate on steering while you were down in there?

:wink::wink::wink:

joseph m. hahnl
05-18-2009, 04:05 PM
The plate is not flat :yes:. I replaced the plate and used the RTV sealer:boggled:

MOP
05-18-2009, 04:45 PM
The plate is not flat :yes:. I replaced the plate and used the RTV sealer:boggled:

Thank Goodness! Now your gal can concentrate!!

joseph m. hahnl
05-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Thank Goodness! Now your gal can concentrate!!

That was her first time driving the Minx. :boat: