PDA

View Full Version : ?? Merc Garus!

MOP
01-06-2004, 06:12 PM
What did Merc change in reference to the cone shifter when they opted to use it that it needs an interupter switch. Volvo ran the cone for over 30 years without one, but I hear Merc guys complaining about shift problems on the Bravos.

Phil

MR MAGOO
01-07-2004, 04:33 AM
There is no shift interupter switch on Bravo application.

MOP
01-07-2004, 07:45 AM
Ok stand corrected not having been a Merc guy but now am, there have been several posts in the past about shifting problems and adjustments etc. Maybe Mecr did not set them up with throttle delay as they were intended. On the Volvos as long as idle RPM was not way out of wack and the cone was allowed to engage or disengage without throttle pressure they shifted like babies. The only time we had any trouble with them was when shipped new with the throttle cabled locked at the carb then they banged into gear and were hard to get in and out of gear at times. Thanks guys planning my moves with BH drive if I can ever find props.

Garyw1
01-07-2004, 08:52 AM
Don't know about a throttle delay, but the shift interrupter switch grounds the ignition for a brief second when shifting into reverse so it shifts easier, and without a grind. Out of adjustment can cause either hard shifting and/or engine stalling. They're not hard to adjust, just a pain in the butt when out of adjustment.