PDA

View Full Version : Donzi 22 Classic Maintenance & Tune up

ewkbradshaw
04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Hi,
I am somewhat new to this forum and I recently purchased a 1994 Donzi 22 Classic. It has the 454 Magnum Bravo I outdrive in it. I did not get an owner's manual with the boat unfortunately. I would like to do a good bit of the maintenance myself in the interest of knowing what I have and saving money. Can somebody tell me the oil capacity and a recommendation on oil. I live in Alabama so it stays pretty warm. I am also lookin at replacing the impeller soon. Any advice? I found a detailed how to on another forum and I think I can tackle this project.

DonziJon
04-29-2009, 03:28 PM
Hi,
I am somewhat new to this forum and I recently purchased a 1994 Donzi 22 Classic. It has the 454 Magnum Bravo I outdrive in it. I did not get an owner's manual with the boat unfortunately. I would like to do a good bit of the maintenance myself in the interest of knowing what I have and saving money. Can somebody tell me the oil capacity and a recommendation on oil. I live in Alabama so it stays pretty warm. I am also lookin at replacing the impeller soon. Any advice? I found a detailed how to on another forum and I think I can tackle this project.

Welcome to the Forum and the Donzi family. The first thing I did when I bought my Minx 12 years ago was purchase a Mercruiser Stern Drives Manual from West Marine for the appropriate year. Clymers was the publisher. !986-1994.

Even if you don't do your own work, it's a handy thing to have so you can decide if you have the skills and/or tools for any particular job. John

Air 22
04-29-2009, 03:58 PM
Welcome to the board...lots of info here...:)

Your 454 should hold approx 6.5 qts of oil(stock motor) always ref the dipstick..if ur in the South a staight 40weight oil is good. Do a search on oil thread's on this site...there are 100"s of answers as to brands, types etc...the main point being ...change the oil/filter approx every 50 hrs of use...( note oil color..not milky)...change it before winterization or long periods of downtime...change it each Spring for the new boating season. Many of your Mercruiser parts are avail @ local shops...give them a call. Online are 100's of places for parts..and of course Westmarine, Overton's for smaller stuff and cleaning supplies:cool: Your impeller is not to hard to change once you do it a few times..a socket set and being able to fit into the engine compartment being the hardest:eek:...good luck and be sure to ask questions when u need help:wink:

Post some pic's of your new toy...your gonna luv it:)...its a disease of fun:yes::)

Donziweasel
04-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Some other basic things you can do-

Fuel filter- change annually

Plugs and wires- I don't know about the 454, but the plugs on my 350 were a PITA ass to get to with the exhaust logs on.

Check timing when you do plugs and wires.

Change drive oil annually- Use Merc drive oil.

Welcome to the madness.:)

The Hedgehog
04-29-2009, 05:16 PM
Change the impeller every year. It is just a good measure as impellers often get brittle over the winter. It only costs $18. I think that the 454 Mag has an oil cooler (the 502 Mag does) and it is a pain to flush the impeller pieces out of the coolers if it comes apart. Also if you overheat and are not watching it you can make expensive noises.

On those calibre motors I like to change the oil every 25-30 hours. You can do the drive once a year.

Enjoy and welcome to the madness. There are a number of us from Bama (not me anymore). You have some nice lakes. I get down to Lake Jordan on a regular basis and try to hit Martin on occasion.

Oh yeah, we need pics.

jimishooch
04-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Some other basic things you can do-

Fuel filter- change annually

Plugs and wires- I don't know about the 454, but the plugs on my 350 were a PITA ass to get to with the exhaust logs on.

Check timing when you do plugs and wires.

Change drive oil annually- Use Merc drive oil.

Welcome to the madness.:)

cap and rotor also then timing. i think the timing can be advanced for better performance on the 454. the experts will chime in.
don't forget the fuel seperator.

ewkbradshaw
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Heres some pictures
http://www.f150online.com/forums/members/rickmb150-albums-boat-donzi-22classic-picture29935-dscn0982.jpghttp://www.f150online.com/forums/members/rickmb150-albums-boat-donzi-22classic-picture29936-a.jpg

ewkbradshaw
05-09-2009, 08:11 PM
Thanks for the responses by the way!

Planetwarmer
05-10-2009, 01:24 AM
Looks nice without the hull stripe.

CHACHI
05-10-2009, 05:35 AM
Welcome to the Yellow boat club.

Ken

yeller
05-10-2009, 10:56 AM