PDA

View Full Version : Problem with floor

Rambo
04-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Hi.

I just bought an early 90-model Donzi 22 Classic and it seems to be something wrong with the construcion of the floor in the cabin. From the attached photos you can see that the floor bends downwards toward the back end of the cabin. It looks to me that there is poor support for the floor from about where the bend starts and backwards, except from a thin piece of glass fibre supporting the structure under the sofa.

Is this a known issue, and can anything be done to straighten up the floor again? Can I for example cut the piece of fibre glass that support the sofa, lever up the floor and build a more solid support for the floor? :)

Bo

gcarter
04-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Let me ask a question.......do you just want to know why, or do you want to know how to fix it????? :wink:

gcarter
04-29-2009, 01:54 PM
All these boats do this. Some sat too low on reference to the stringers and Donzi put the glass wrapped "door stops" under the floor.
But the real problem bigger than that.
It can be fixed. Here's some guidance;

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=9

Start at post #123 and go through post #195.
I can give some additional help too, if you like.

Sweet Cheekz
04-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Hey George
I just took a minute to browse your suggestions from the other thread and all great tips. It looks to me like we went thru almost the exact same thing Feels good to be done and know none of that is happening ever again to our boats. Well done
Parnell

Rambo
04-29-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks for the guide George! :)

Looks like a really serious job! Do you think this issue could be solved in an easier way (but probably not so nice as you did) without removing the deck w/floor?

Bo

VetteLT193
04-29-2009, 02:41 PM
The curve itself is intentional I think, for drainage. if the floor curved that much after the fact the whole deck would be warped.

As for the support, GCarter knows best on how to fix it, take his suggestion and read through his thread

gcarter
04-29-2009, 02:53 PM
Thanks for the guide George! :)

Looks like a really serious job! Do you think this issue could be solved in an easier way (but probably not so nice as you did) without removing the deck w/floor?

Bo
This isn't the first one I've tried to fix. I attempted to "clamp" another Donzi w/o any success.

Rambo
04-29-2009, 02:54 PM
I dont't think the curve is intentional because the cover for the hole in the floor is shaped straight, and will not fit as intended as the floor is right now.

I'll talk to somebody who can do jobs like this and see if they can help me out :)

Thanks for the help!

Bo

gcarter
04-29-2009, 02:58 PM
The curve itself is intentional I think, for drainage. if the floor curved that much after the fact the whole deck would be warped.

As for the support, GCarter knows best on how to fix it, take his suggestion and read through his thread

Not intentional Bob. There's a tolerance build up in the cockpit floor/deck/hull shoebox joint height that's the problem. Donzi apperently put in the "door stops" to keep the floor from banging into the stringers. Just a poor way to do it.
A better way would have been some aluminum angles bolted to the stringers, or even some 2 X 6's for that matter.
More support area is needed to keep from having this happen.

VetteLT193
04-29-2009, 04:03 PM
Not intentional Bob. There's a tolerance build up in the cockpit floor/deck/hull shoebox joint height that's the problem. Donzi apperently put in the "door stops" to keep the floor from banging into the stringers. Just a poor way to do it.
A better way would have been some aluminum angles bolted to the stringers, or even some 2 X 6's for that matter.
More support area is needed to keep from having this happen.

Mine has the curve and absolutely zero cracking of any kind. not even gel stress cracks. It looks to me that it was put in to help the water drain to the drain holes, at least that is how it works in actual practice.

The curve I'm referring to in my boat starts after the floor hatch and runs back to the bench.

On a related note, I'm certainly not disagreeing with you about the design or anything else. Just saying what I have.

gcarter
04-29-2009, 05:06 PM
Bob, the boat trims aft anyway. It generally doesn't need any help.
Donzi cut some corners.....just like all the small pieces of plywood core under the floor instead of one piece specifically designed and cut to fit correctly. Or a "good" floor support system.
My method of supportin g the floor with two pieces of 2 X 2 X 1/4 aluminum angle cost $40.00 plus a little labor....maybe $100.00 total, but some glass wrapped "door stops" are a lot cheaper. As a manufacturer, Donzi didn't much care what happened to the floor after the warranty is expired. There's no safety issues concerning it, it's just very expensive and time consuming to fix it.

HOWARD O
04-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Donzi cut some corners.....just like all the small pieces of plywood core under the floor instead of one piece specifically designed and cut to fit correctly. Or a "good" floor support system.

Or like the paint stir-sticks that were used for backing on the shoebox joint on my old '69 16'? :rofl: