PDA

View Full Version : Shout-Out To "Tex".......

Carl C
04-29-2009, 12:12 PM
Not sure who you are but you posted on another thread that you may have a 30p Bravo 1 prop for sale. I may be interested in that if so. Please answer here or send PM. Thanks.

Last Real Texan
04-30-2009, 07:03 AM
Not sure who you are but you posted on another thread that you may have a 30p Bravo 1 prop for sale. I may be interested in that if so. Please answer here or send PM. Thanks.

Not sure who I am ?

Well I have to tell ya that I am not really even sure who I am .:bonk:

I have a 30 inch bravo anyone at AOTH is welcome to try....It is a Box stock one so it is reaaly great to get a baseline with.....:wrench:

The prop gods are smiling on me these days and I no longer need the Bravo....

Tex

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 07:21 AM
Not sure who I am ?

Been on here for 4 years, almost 800 posts, and not sure who you are?

Carl, his name Bryan, lives in Macon, GA, has a 90+ mph ZX, works on his own stuff, happily married, one son, three years old, travels alot of a living (including some cool places and not so cool places over seas), is very good freinds with Hedgehog, keeps his boat in Tennessee, and is a damn good guy.

Shee's, what a way to start a thread, "Not sure who you are"

:popcorn::bonk:

boxy
04-30-2009, 07:48 AM
Tex, what a great offer!!!
So the way you laid it out, a fellow Donzi board member could actually go to an event, meet the people behind the names, try different props for free, while picking up great insight into what others have done, and making new life long friends....

What a concept......... :cool!::cool!:

The Hedgehog
04-30-2009, 08:12 AM
Weasel captured a good bit of Tex the International Furniture Dealer.

He is also a philanthropist, gentleman, scholar, poet laureate, international man of mystery and a Nobel Prize candidate.

Curiously, he just acts like a regular well brought up guy that does not take himself that seriously at all.

Oh yeah, he labs his own props!

The Hedgehog
04-30-2009, 08:13 AM

I still think you need to try to spin my Mercury Racing 32" Bravo I.

Isn't it about time for a good ole tab discussion? :popcorn:

Carl C
04-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Not sure who I am ?

Well I have to tell ya that I am not really even sure who I am .:bonk:

I have a 30 inch bravo anyone at AOTH is welcome to try....It is a Box stock one so it is reaaly great to get a baseline with.....:wrench:

The prop gods are smiling on me these days and I no longer need the Bravo....

Tex

Well how can Tex live in Georgia?:wink: Sorry about the brain fade. That prop may not make it to AOTH. Can you post or PM asking price? Condition? Age?

Hedge, your prop is a possibility too. I will get back with you on that. Working on boat now.

gcarter
04-30-2009, 08:19 AM
Weasel captured a good bit of Tex the International Furniture Dealer.

He is also a philanthropist, gentleman, scholar, poet laureate, international man of mystery and a Nobel Prize candidate.

Curiously, he just acts like a regular well brought up guy that does not take himself that seriously at all.

Oh yeah, he labs his own props!

Not to mention he says he's from Texas.
That's good enough for me!:yes:

gold-n-rod
04-30-2009, 08:28 AM
Well how can Tex live in Georgia?

If he lives in Georgia, wouldn't he be called, "George"? That would only confuse the George that lives in Florida...... he'd have to be called "Flo"!!! :confused:

No wonder he doesn't know who he is. :nilly::nilly::nilly:

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 09:07 AM
So the way you laid it out, a fellow Donzi board member could actually go to an event, meet the people behind the names, try different props for free, while picking up great insight into what others have done, and making new life long friends....

What a concept.........

Steve, so you are telling me, Carl could attend this AOTH thingie, get advice from many experts on dialing his boat in and can try many different props for free? Holy crap. All he has to do is show up?

On top of that, he gets to meet people he has been chatting on this board with for 4 years and and make new friends?

And you are also telling me, he also gets to eat great food, look at many amazing Donzi's, attend an auction, a poker run, and possibly buy amazing Donzi merchandise?

Finally, you are telling me he could even show other Donzi enthusiasts the work he did under the deck in the bow and in the bildge on his own boat? Might even get compliments?

All he has to do is show up?

You right, what a concept........:bonk:

Gee, I am gonna try that myself next year.....:wink:

:popcorn:

BigGrizzly
04-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Yes I am smiling on TEX. It was my pleasure to help him brake the 90 mark. He has com to another event even without the wife, must have been hell when he got home. Hedg likes him because he fixes hedges boat when he is not looking. The fact is Hedges 18 would still be in pieces if it were not for TEX. His main problem is his feet never touch the ground he is always moving.

The Hedgehog
04-30-2009, 09:22 AM
Yes I am smiling on TEX. It was my pleasure to help him brake the 90 mark. He has com to another event even without the wife, must have been hell when he got home. Hedg likes him because he fixes hedges boat when he is not looking. The fact is Hedges 18 would still be in pieces if it were not for TEX. His main problem is his feet never touch the ground he is always moving.

OUCH....but probably true!

But Hedge was friends with him long before was had boats!

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 09:24 AM
But Hedge was friends with him long before was had boats!

Both thier wives call it a "bromance"......:bonk:

The fact is Hedges 18 would still be in pieces if it were not for TEX. His main problem is his feet never touch the ground he is always moving.

Damn, all he wanted to do when out here was ski and snowmobile, not work on the Critter, imagine that?

The Hedgehog
04-30-2009, 09:31 AM
Both thier wives call it a "bromance"......:bonk:
Damn, all he wanted to do when out here was ski and snowmobile, not work on the Critter, imagine that?

How can you blame me, I was like a kid in a candy store out there!

Now when your young ones arrive and Tex's hand heals, we will BOTH be out there to work on the Critter! Or maybe Tex will do the work and I will look important!

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 09:35 AM
How about Tex do the work and you and I drink beer, have safety meetings and supervise?

Last Real Texan
04-30-2009, 09:47 AM
How about Tex do the work and you and I drink beer, have safety meetings and supervise?
I'm good with that.....

But it will require a trip to the hot springs when completed....

Another thing that will be required is some running around Jackson lake with beer on ice and Elk burgers on the grill...

And another thing Hedge is not aware of I signed the X-18 up front when it was apart and wrote some pretty funny things for some poor soul to find when it comes apart again in 75 years....I put the dates and what was done as well as some other privaledged things....Bet you did'nt know that did you Hedge???

I am up for anything that has to do with boats and beer and Titties..big ones....little ones .....fake ones....real ones.....I just love the boobies......
now I better get to work!:smileybo:

Tex

Carl C
04-30-2009, 09:48 AM
If he lives in Georgia, wouldn't he be called, "George"? That would only confuse the George that lives in Florida...... he'd have to be called "Flo"!!! :confused:

No wonder he doesn't know who he is. :nilly::nilly::nilly:

Mick is from Michigan..............

The Hedgehog
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM

I am all about making sure that we are safe:yes:. Supervision and looking important is a good thing. Heck, Tex's son Carter picked up on the looking important. Tex, Eddie Young and I were looking at something on Tex's motor. Eddie said something profound about the engine and Carter agreed.

The Hedgehog
04-30-2009, 10:20 AM
I'm good with that.....

But it will require a trip to the hot springs when completed....

Another thing that will be required is some running around Jackson lake with beer on ice and Elk burgers on the grill...

And another thing Hedge is not aware of I signed the X-18 up front when it was apart and wrote some pretty funny things for some poor soul to find when it comes apart again in 75 years....I put the dates and what was done as well as some other privaledged things....Bet you did'nt know that did you Hedge???

I am up for anything that has to do with boats and beer and Titties..big ones....little ones .....fake ones....real ones.....I just love the boobies......
now I better get to work!:smileybo:

Tex

I am not surprised that you left your mark. Kind of like the rental car in JH!

Carl C
04-30-2009, 10:25 AM
Tex, Hedge, nevermind. I just got off the phone with Brett. He agrees with me that a 30p Bravo 1 should get me where I want to be. This is up from my present 28p Mercury Racing Bravo 1. I am also shooting for 200 more RPM on top (5,200). I expect to see 83-84 mph:yippie:. Anyway I wouldn't feel right picking Brett's brain just to buy my prop here so I ordered up one of Brett's special in house labbed 30p Bravo 1s.

Last Real Texan
04-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Tex, Hedge, nevermind. I just got off the phone with Brett. He agrees with me that a 30p Bravo 1 should get me where I want to be. This is up from my present 28p Mercury Racing Bravo 1. I am also shooting for 200 more RPM on top (5,200). I expect to see 83-84 mph:yippie:. Anyway I wouldn't feel right picking Brett's brain just to buy my prop here so I ordered up one of Brett's special in house labbed 30p Bravo 1s.
so .... Spend a grand on a prop that may be the right prop and forgo the $$$$$$ on hydraulic steering, sounds good to me....

Tex
And by the way the 30 is still available for anyone who wishes at AOTH

The Hedgehog
04-30-2009, 11:51 AM

No problem, you don't have enough power to spin mine anyway. It would take a good bit more than stock power.

It is always a good idea to buy an expensive prop from someone that has not tried your setup before you see how it is going to react.

I think that you should step up to the plate and throw on a Whipple. It would be cool to see how fast a 22 will go without full hydraulic steering.

I am still confused about the whole Bravo I vs the "Mercury Racing" Bravo I:nilly:

Air 22
04-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Carl...I just hit 80.0GPS today for the first time....and lemme tell ta...you need hyd steering before you venture any faster than u are now..

IMO..Brett knows his stuff:wink:....the prop he just tuned for me is sweet(Labbed 28P Mecury Racing Bravo One). He reduced my slip 4.5% and increased my top speed 3mph and cruising speed increased 3mph...all for under $200.00..I went from 77-78@ 5400RPM to 80.0@ 5275RPM
72@5000RPM to 75.5@5000RPM
56@4000RPM to 60@4000RPM
22@2000RPM to 25.5@2000RPM

There are many fine prop shops out there..but I can speak from experience BBLades does very nice work. For under $200.00 a 3mph gain...not to shabby:wink:

Carl C
04-30-2009, 12:08 PM
Mercury Racing is labbed. Since "labbed" means different things to different folks I just call it the Mercury Racing version:). The prop has to be part of the power package. I didn't spend $20,000 on a motor upgrade to go out and run with the same prop. Ask Dwight (sorry, Dwight) how that worked out for him:). The 30 will get me close and, if need be, Brett can tweak it.

The steering is coming ASAP. It is the next piece of the puzzle. The final piece for a while actually. I just might have to run it this season without though:nilly:. It's a four year old boat and I checked all bolts and parts while the motor is out. The steering is tight. I will try to plan to make AOTH next summer with this rig complete and dialed in and ready to run near the front of the pack:).

Of course if y'all are that concerned and someone wanted to donate a steering system to a very worthy boat............:).

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 12:09 PM
I expect to see 83-84 mph

The steering is coming ASAP. It is the next piece of the puzzle. The final piece for a while actually. I just might have to run it this season without though

Spend a grand on a prop that may be the right prop and forgo the $$$$$$ on hydraulic steering, sounds good to me....

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/thiswillnotendwell.png

Carl, I like the work you are doing and the engine you are installing. That being said, it is time someone took a fricken hammer to that impossibly thick skull of yours and POUND in the fact that you NEED steering. I know, all you say is "next year" "got to boat" "you don't know how bad boating means to me", etc.... Well, keep it up numbskull and you won't be boating any more. You will be in the hospital or 6ft under.

Besides all the other crap of drugs, drinking, operating in foreign water, waterver, wanting advice you never take, and other things you have posted in the past, etc.....this is getting ridiculous. You run a 22 ft boat with a shorty and a 525 at almost 85 mph in big water, you will, never mind......since you don't care, I give up.

Carl C
04-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Dwight, sounds like you got it dialed in. Sweet. Brett said that he could maybe work my 28 to get me near where I need to be but that a new prop in 30p would be a better choice for top end. With the shorty and 25 more hp than you are running I am shooting for 83-84 mph. Stay tuned.

Steering is coming. I am really stretching myself thin financially to get this far. I promise steering is next. I need to sell some stuff.

gcarter
04-30-2009, 12:16 PM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/thiswillnotendwell.png

carl, i like the work you are doing and the engine you are installing. That being said, it is time someone took a fricken hammer to that impossibly thick skull of yours and pound in the fact that you need steering. I know, all you say is "next year" "got to boat" "you don't know how bad boating means to me", etc.... Well, keep it up numbskull and you won't be boating any more. You will be in the hospital or 6ft under.

Besides all the other crap of drugs, drinking, operating in foreign water, waterver, wanting advice you never take, and other things you have posted in the past, etc.....this is getting ridiculous. You run a 22 ft boat with a shorty and a 525 at almost 85 mph in big water, you will, never mind......since you don't care, i give up.

not gonna happen.......

never!!!!!

Carl C
04-30-2009, 12:27 PM
Steering is coming.

It will be part of the package.

I know of at least 2 22 Classics much older than mine that have been running in the 80s for years without external hydraulic steering.

Regardless I will be installing it ASAP.

Enough said.

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 12:41 PM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/catwatermelon.jpg

Air 22
04-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Dwight, sounds like you got it dialed in. Sweet. Brett said that he could maybe work my 28 to get me near where I need to be but that a new prop in 30p would be a better choice for top end. With the shorty and 25 more hp than you are running I am shooting for 83-84 mph. Stay tuned.

Steering is coming. I am really stretching myself thin financially to get this far. I promise steering is next. I need to sell some stuff.

Carl...You still have time...you cant put a price on SAFETY...:eek:
Get the steering even if its a partial hyd steering sys vs a full. Your safety and others with and around you need be addressed.:bighug:

please call Bill at Diamond Performance.(302-521-0123)..let him know I suggested you call him... he will walk you through a nice system and has great prices.:yes::wink:

http://www.diamondperformanceparts.com

Last Real Texan
04-30-2009, 01:49 PM
Carl...You still have time...you cant put a price on SAFETY...:eek:
Get the steering even if its a partial hyd steering sys vs a full. Your safety and others with and around you need be addressed.:bighug:

please call Bill at Diamond Performance.(302-521-0123)..let him know I suggested you call him... he will walk you through a nice system and has great prices.:yes::wink:

http://www.diamondperformanceparts.com
Amen Brother.........

Tex

CJmike
04-30-2009, 02:34 PM
So excuse my ignorance but don't classics like Carls have the mini hydraulic bravo 1 steering set up? I have never seen one in person so I got no idea.

The Hedgehog
04-30-2009, 02:43 PM
So excuse my ignorance but don't classics like Carls have the mini hydraulic bravo 1 steering set up? I have never seen one in person so I got no idea.

Some classics had internal hydraulic as an option.

Pm me your address. I lost it.

fogducker III
04-30-2009, 02:48 PM

Bravos and Alphas I believe both have a power steering "ram" run off a power steering pump on the engine. Works well for stock power but when engine power is upped, additional steering is needed. Also where the steering connections are at various places, there is slight movement that is amplified at higher speeds, I learnt this personally. Although I only added an "add-on" system, it makes a world of difference and in certain applications, hydraulic steering is a MUST................

Carl C
04-30-2009, 02:50 PM
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w190/johnnyalltrans/catwatermelon.jpg(quote)Took a break yesterday, too nice out and did some fishin'.

Alright, first, don't worry about blowers and steering right now. My current stock steering has 18 hours on it. Compensated for altitude, my Critter will only have around 490 hp. Should push it to around 70. Blower, steering and new drive are at least a year out.

Going to further de-rig the boat before proceeding. Might get to play with it today, but have a pretty full schedule.

I will be strengthening the transom. (end quote)

It's one thing to have a legitimate concern for someone and quite another to pretend so just to stir the pot. I suggest you take your own advice before you start ragging on me.

CJMike, it has power steering but a cable to the back, kind of a hybrid steering system.

Dwight, when I do the steering it will be a full hydraulic dual ram system.

DonziJon
04-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Can a full hydraulic steering system be installed in Carls boat while the engine is in place? If the transom needs to be beefed up for the rams, wouldn't the engine being in place make the job a PITA? Just wondering. :bonk: John

zelatore
04-30-2009, 03:29 PM
Can a full hydraulic steering system be installed in Carls boat while the engine is in place? If the transom needs to be beefed up for the rams, wouldn't the engine being in place make the job a PITA? Just wondering. :bonk: John

No problem installing it with the engine in place. I did a dual ram Zieger over the winter. Sure, there's more room to work with it out but it's no big deal.

Depending on what system you chose, you can get different length rams which put the ends at different places on the transom. Aside from that, I think (?) Carl's boat has a fully cored transom anyway.

Carl, I'll make you a deal. You come out here and help me 'Carlize' my bow, and I'll go back to Michigan and help you install steering.
(I think I'll come out ahead on that deal)

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 05:11 PM
It's one thing to have a legitimate concern for someone and quite another to pretend so just to stir the pot. I suggest you take your own advice before you start ragging on me.

Carl, before you go trying to misplace this on me my midly retarded idiot friend, why don't you re-read that post. It says I will have a 70 mph boat, not one going 83-84. A stock steering with 18 hours on it is perfectly safe at 70 mph.

Why do you think Donzi sells 22 w/out it? Why do you think they added it to the Shelby and 009? Becuase they raised the X and got those models close to 80 mph. But oh the humanity of it all. Donzi, the manufacturer you chose to purchase a boat from, decides this is safety factor, but you in you infinite wisdom do not and have decided it can wait a season.

Next, my seriously delusional mentally challenged buddy, why do you think I posted this thread-

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=56872

Why? Because, unlike you, 70 mph is my limit without steering, and that is where I think I will be. You think you will be at 83-84. Now, read this closely, you are running MUCH faster than me.

Now, I will tell you what happens next, because I have seen a pattern. 1. Carl posts something stupid. 2. People bash him 3. Carl states that dozens of members PM him with support so it is ok. ( who are these mystery people that they won't support you openly? Are they embarrased?)

But, we all know that no one in there right mind is going to PM him and tell him steering isn't necessary, are they Carl? Or have they already?

Finally, I think you know very well that this board tends to be very safety oriented as Donzi's are high performance boats. Safety seems to be around 4th or 5th in your priorities. They seem to be 1.the boat look good (fairing, engine accents), 2. the boat go fast (Imco, 525) 3. The boat hold more gear and be sleepable(under deck mod), 4. the boat be loud and lighter(CMI's). How much have you spent on all this? I count around 30,000.00 plus. How much have you spent on safety? 0.00.

So, do what you want. Dwight dropped his blue motor in and won't run without it. Jeremy is running 72-73 ish and needed it. Your running 11 mph faster, but don't need it until next year, if ever. But hey, what is a year? Maybe your life, thats all.

I am thinking of starting a poll. Maybe when you see the results, you will GET it.

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 05:23 PM

Oh yeah, I pm'd someone about this and what I said exactly was "While I am not a fan of Carl, I do not want to see him hurt or killed"

BigGrizzly
04-30-2009, 07:28 PM
All I can say is WOW, you would think that Silverback is back. A chop busting on TEX becomes a free for all. Are all you guys having PMS.

Donziweasel
04-30-2009, 07:32 PM
Randy, you are running 86 mph, two miles an hour faster than Carl's goal. Running steering?:yes: