PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Gasket

MinxRaider77
04-29-2009, 08:30 AM
I have recently redone my 1986 Minx windshield because the old one was cracked. However I am having some trouble trying to find a new windshield gasket or weatherstripping and it seems that donzi does not carry it. I have attached pictures of the rubber gasket that was used to seal the
acrylic windshield in the stainless steal frame. I also included a picture
of the boat so you can see what the windshield looks like. The boat is a
1986 20ft Donzi Minx. The measurements of the rubber gasket is
approximately 5/8" on the flat side and 1/4" on the edge. If anyone can tell me where to buy a new one I would really appreciate it because without it I cant put the windshield back on the boat. Thanks.

txtaz
04-29-2009, 09:23 AM
You might try a glass shop. I have found odd stripping there before.

VetteLT193
04-29-2009, 11:07 AM
I have recently redone my 1986 Minx windshield because the old one was cracked. However I am having some trouble trying to find a new windshield gasket or weatherstripping and it seems that donzi does not carry it. I have attached pictures of the rubber gasket that was used to seal the
acrylic windshield in the stainless steal frame. I also included a picture
of the boat so you can see what the windshield looks like. The boat is a
1986 20ft Donzi Minx. The measurements of the rubber gasket is
approximately 5/8" on the flat side and 1/4" on the edge. If anyone can tell me where to buy a new one I would really appreciate it because without it I cant put the windshield back on the boat. Thanks.

Who redid the plexi, and (if you don't mind) how much did it cost? I have the same windshield and it's one of the only things original on the boat... ready to be re-done.

My rubber stuff is coming out in a couple spots too so I'm curious about the answer. I am guessing they used the same stuff on the older Z21, and all the other boats from that era with the stainless framed shield.

MinxRaider77
04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
Hey Vette, we have the mold made up if your interested. We are in the southern NY area not sure where your located. We tried calling a bunch of glass and plastic places that do windshields and most people dont seem to carry this seal which is a real pain.

MinxRaider77
04-29-2009, 08:27 PM
As for price it would be around 850 for the entire windshield which is the front and two side pieces. If you had the mold made it would have been 200 more than that. Plus shipping if necessary.

VetteLT193
04-30-2009, 07:24 AM
I think there are more than one of us that need them. Can't do it now financially, but will be in contact later this year.

Someone has to know the seal... you may want to put a post up in the performance section, it gets more views.

jimishooch
04-30-2009, 07:52 AM
i doubt you'll find an exact replacement. i replaced the windshield on my minx and the installer said he found the seal at an automotive parts store. he sealed front and back for a tight fit. call around..........take the old seal w/ you.
i highly recommend a local company for replacement of the windshield unless your very handy.
i used a plastic fabricator who came out to the boat took off the windshield and took it back to his shop. next weekend he came back out with new windshield and did the install for $750 right in the slip. the warranty on the windshield and install is 5 years. i doubt an out of state guy will do that.
since i'm not looking thru the windshield i went with plexi #2370 bronze. it's a deep tint used alot in arizona, florida and texas because of heat. gave the boat a whole new retro look.
i found this guy by calling around the boat yards (shops)
good luck
jim

forabeer
04-30-2009, 12:25 PM
Hello minxraider77,

I work for a company that manufactures rubber parts for antique & collector cars. Its hard to tell without seeing a cross section of your rubber but we have something that might work.

Kind of pricey @ $5.10 per foot but I might be able to get you some sort of a discount.

Attached is a pic of the cross section. I realize that this is too wide but it can be easily trimmed.

Ben
Lake Norman, NC

MinxRaider77
04-30-2009, 12:34 PM
That looks pretty similar, heres another couple pics to show you what it looks like from a different angle. Let me know if you think it will work and let me know. Its a little different cause it seems like the donzi one is more of a T shape and the one you have is more of a P. Not sure but let me know what you think.

forabeer
04-30-2009, 12:43 PM
Did someone mention "T" Rubber :)

MinxRaider77
04-30-2009, 12:47 PM
Very cool is there anyway i could get a sample or two cause i dont want to buy 20 ft of it and have it be the wrong thing.

forabeer
04-30-2009, 12:52 PM
No problem at all. Please send your mailing address to . . .

bplunket@steelerubber.com

and I will hook you up with a sample of each.

MinxRaider77
04-30-2009, 12:56 PM
Sent you the address. Thank you.

forabeer
04-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Package shipped :)

fogducker III
04-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Package shipped :)

Now that is how to do business and help out a guy, well done.......:yes:

This is one of the many reasons I enjoy this site, people that actually care about other people and enjoy a similar hobby/addiction.....:wink:

Sorry for the hi-jack but I think "cudos" are needed at certain times.............

MinxRaider77
04-30-2009, 03:09 PM
agreed, i appreciate the help

jimishooch
04-30-2009, 04:38 PM
please keep us informed if this is an exact replacement.
thx
jim

MinxRaider77
04-30-2009, 04:39 PM
will do

Trueser
04-30-2009, 05:06 PM
I may have some left from my 22.

I can bring it along to AOTH.

forabeer
05-04-2009, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the compliment FogDucker III,

Was glad to help him out. I hope one of those extrusions works for him.
Thanks again.