PDA

View Full Version : Oh Canada!

zelatore
04-27-2009, 09:49 PM
Michele and I are coming to pay you a little visit. The Gulf Islands specifically.

We're chartering out of Bellingham the 9th thru the 15th.

We'd love to get together with some of you BC guys while we're up there. Assuming weekends are the best time for everyone, that pretry much means Sunday the 10th.

We haven't set a cruising schedule, and don't know the Gulf Islands at all. I do plan to spend a day in Victoria but I figure anywhere between there and Nanaimo is fair game.

I'd love to hear any suggestions the locals might have both for potential meeting areas and general cruising destinations. Our prefernce tends toward more isolated anchorages or parks where we can do some hiking or other exploring but I'm open to any ideas or suggestions.

So what do you boys think? Anybody up for a little cruise-in/meet-n-greet?

I know we've got Glenn in Vancouver, and Lenny and Fogducker are somewhere near Victoria. We've also got a couple people in the Seattle area.

So who's in?

Lenny
04-28-2009, 09:54 AM
I can meet ya anywhere with the X-18. The LE is still apart. I am sure we can get a half dozen Donzi-heads out for ya.

May 10th ???

Bring/Buy charts or have a GPS equipped boat for your cruise. There are a LOT of unmarked rocks out here (most actually) but folks here just "know" where they are.

:)

yeller
04-28-2009, 09:58 AM
I see no problem in going...except I might not have the boat running by then. If the boat's not done, I'd still like to go if someone has room.

I can go weekday as well. Just not the 12th.

Lenny
04-28-2009, 10:37 AM
...come to think of it, The 9th, we are hosting a Harley Davidson get together for the entire Island. two bands etc at the local Pub a buddy of mine owns. So, the morale of the story here is, EXPECT one hung-over dude. :yes: :yes: :yes:

chrisc2
04-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Are you planning on spending time in the San Juans or heading right up to the Canadian Gulf Isl? With 7 days it make a big difference from a planning standpoint. The general rule around here is go north as far as you can (Desolation?)...The Canadian Gulf Islands (in my opinion) are the beginning of paradise. Start there and keep going. Lenny,Fog you guys concur?

zelatore
04-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I've spent time in the San Juans before - this time I figured I'd spend the week on the Canadian side.

I've booked a 'fast' boat...meaning it's not a trawler. A 33' Back Cove. She should be able to cruise around 18-20 knots. And yeah, full electronics. Even better, it's the same Raymarine stuff I have on my own boat so I should actually be able to use it!

I'm not planning to do Desolation Sound or Princess Louisa this time out. I figured I'd save them for the next trip - hopefully one I can stretch to 2 weeks with a bigger boat (Grand Banks 42?)

If I take Victoria off the table, I don't need to run that far south and could spend more time headed north. It's not set in stone, but it's the one place Michele actually mentioned by name other than Salt Spring where she visited several years ago by ferry.

You guys are planning a bike party the same time I'm planning a cruise? Oh crap, that's the double-wammy of bad weather juju!

zelatore
04-28-2009, 12:16 PM
I see no problem in going...except I might not have the boat running by then. If the boat's not done, I'd still like to go if someone has room.
I can go weekday as well. Just not the 12th.

The boat we're chartering has a 10' dinghy....we got ya covered man! :wink:

chrisc2
04-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Sounds like a real good setup Don. 18-20 KTS will cut the time & distance down to size. If you head to Pender or Salt Spring and 'start' from there you would be in great shape with a lot of options. Starting in Salt Spring can be good for the girls as they can get a bit of shopping in and you can finish provisioning. It is all good once you get there..Chris

fogducker III
04-28-2009, 12:35 PM
Narrows Inlet...............:wink:

http://maps.live.com/?q=narrows+Inlet+bc&mkt=en-CA&FORM=BYRE

Donziweasel
04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
I wanna go.......:wink:

Don, absolutly amazing area, you guys will have a blast. Lenny is right, there are some ole' rocks around, lucky he knew where they all were.

Titan (Mark) is in Victoria too.....:)

I was supposed to go on a ride with Lenny and Jeremy, next thing I know, we had 6 boats running. It was a great day. Great guys.

chrisc2
04-28-2009, 01:07 PM
What Fog said..

boxy
04-28-2009, 01:08 PM
...come to think of it, The 9th, we are hosting a Harley Davidson get together for the entire Island. two bands etc at the local Pub a buddy of mine owns. So, the morale of the story here is, EXPECT one hung-over dude. :yes: :yes: :yes:

So the morning of the 10th will be different from any other Sunday morning how ???? :nilly::nilly:

Anon.

Lenny
04-28-2009, 02:20 PM
So the morning of the 10th will be different from any other Sunday morning how ???? :nilly::nilly:

Anon.

...good point ... :rolleyes:

:D

Don, Piers Island is a stop :D http://maps.live.com/?q=narrows+Inlet+bc&mkt=en-CA&FORM=BYRE#JndoZXJlMT1waWVycytpc2xhbmQmYmI9NDguNzI5 OTI2Mzk4OTMwOSU3ZS0xMjMuMzY3NTM4NDUyMTQ4JTdlNDguNj c3MDIwNDUzNTA5NyU3ZS0xMjMuNDU0Mzk5MTA4ODg3

You newer 18/22 guys play nice. I have the 1974 25 gallon tank which limits my full throttle runs and distance between "stops" . Also has a govenor on the motor that prohibits it from going over 65 mph :(

yeller
04-29-2009, 12:56 AM
The boat we're chartering has a 10' dinghy....we got ya covered man! :wink:Hmmm....what kinda power. :cool!: