PDA

View Full Version : do you feel a vibration?

zelatore
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Actually, I didn't (!!) Probably because although I drove the boat about 30 miles, I did most of it at about 8 knots getting the holy snot pounded out of me in 40+ mph winds.

Sweet Cheekz
04-27-2009, 02:25 PM
That's a big prop for a 22 Donzi!

gcarter
04-27-2009, 02:57 PM
Actually, I didn't (!!) Probably because although I drove the boat about 30 miles, I did most of it at about 8 knots getting the holy snot pounded out of me in 40+ mph winds.
Picky
Picky
Picky!

zelatore
04-27-2009, 03:09 PM
Picky
Picky
Picky!

Tell me about it!

This was a 38 Carver we were selling through the brokerage. It went to survey Friday and this came up. Can you believe the buyer actually asked for a new prop?

Crazy, huh?

I mean, I could see if he wanted the seller to maybe true, pitch, and balance it, but a whole new prop?

If it was me, I'd say just take a 2x4 and a 3 lb hammer and knock it back in shape. That should be fine.

You just can't please some people.....

MOP
04-27-2009, 03:09 PM
That's a big prop for a 22 Donzi!

Heck that is just half of it, two sides to that story!!

Ghost
04-27-2009, 03:25 PM
You should at least pro-rate it at 25%--I think I can see one good blade in the picture. ;)

Just Say N20
04-27-2009, 03:57 PM
I wouldn't have guessed there was enough metal left in that prop to push the boat. I surprised the blades didn't just snap off.

So. . . . something is not grounded properly?

VetteLT193
04-27-2009, 04:08 PM
I can't imagine what that was like...

My dad ran the 45 Viking aground in a mucky bottom one day while out alone...

we pulled the props off, which had zero damage to the naked eye, and we thought we were screwed because the boat wouldn't plane with them and actually shook so badly the bow rail was bouncing around like it was a rubber band. We thought for sure there was more damage to the running gear....

Put the spare props on and all was good again. It was a good learning experience.

We never went out that cut again, which really sucked because the only other way out where we lived we had to go through a draw bridge.

zelatore
04-27-2009, 05:08 PM
I can't imagine what that was like...
My dad ran the 45 Viking aground in a mucky bottom one day while out alone...
we pulled the props off, which had zero damage to the naked eye, and we thought we were screwed because the boat wouldn't plane with them and actually shook so badly the bow rail was bouncing around like it was a rubber band. We thought for sure there was more damage to the running gear....
Put the spare props on and all was good again. It was a good learning experience.
We never went out that cut again, which really sucked because the only other way out where we lived we had to go through a draw bridge.

Surprisingly, it wasn't that bad.

Like I said, I ran the boat pretty far but very slow and in very rough water so I couldn't tell anything about it during the delivery. I did later take it about 1/2 mile to put fuel in it, but that was all in no wake zones. I did feel some shaking but I was only running about 1000-1200 rpm (it's a gas boat)

Funny you should bring up the soft mud bottom. The harbor where this boat lived is well known for being very shallow at low or minus tides. As in you simply can't get in/out...only 2-3' of water. Luckily it's all soft, sticky mud, but as you said that can still bend up a prop...it just does it smoothly.

I have to wonder if this boat didn't do a little plowing once or twice. Still, this looks largely like an electrolisys problem. He had a diver clean and zinc it not long before I picked it up, so although there was zinc on the shaft I don't know what it was like before.

BigGrizzly
04-27-2009, 07:10 PM
Gee, I though that was Merc's new racing prop.

Lenny
04-28-2009, 09:48 AM
Kinda a 25% Cleaver. :)

zelatore
04-28-2009, 12:27 PM
It's actually a cleaver self-correcting design. As the engines age and loose performance, the props wear down maintaining your ideal WOT rpm.

It works on the highly scientific 'bar of soap' principal.

BigGrizzly
04-29-2009, 08:07 AM
Be acreful Zel, that almost seems logical, kind like planed obsolescence.