PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Replacement-NOT

Kirbyvv
04-27-2009, 10:26 AM
I've been anticipating and dreading replacing the fuel tank this year in the '78 X-18. By the end of the summer I was getting a pretty strong gas odor in the cockpit after when it had been covered and sitting in the sun. But I filled the tank and put it away for the winter in October. I was actually holding off picking it up since I've got too many projects in the works and really didn't want to know I had another project for the list. Finally broke down, picked it up Friday and first thing I did was lift the edge of the cockpit cover and stuff my nose in. NO SMELL. WTF. I figured if the tank was leaking it would reak after 6 months of being covered in storage with a full tank. Looks like Big Griz was correct (as usual). The filler hose has started to break down, but only "breaths" when the boat is sitting in the sun, covered. No actual leaking gas from the hose, just vapors. No deck off this year, a big sigh of relief.

penbroke
04-27-2009, 11:12 AM
YEAH!! :) It's a nice day out there for a shakedown run.
You know you want to...

Frank :cool!:

Kirbyvv
04-27-2009, 11:49 AM
maybe this weekend Frank.
Tipped an IPA to celebrate.

BigGrizzly
04-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Gee dust of that prop and use it ir it will desintigrate id it does not enough water.:wink:

John Benkoczy
04-28-2009, 06:23 AM
Hey Kirby - I stopped by Performance Marine yesterday - isn't that your boat in the yard next to the shop? I had my lower unit painted over the winter --- 'actually was inspired by the outstanding job they did on yours - well I took a look at it yesterday and it looks great - - almost time for the "virgin bath" for the bright and shiny 280T!

Kirbyvv
04-28-2009, 07:19 AM
Yup, that's my X at Performance. Didn't see your's there, but there was a collection of Donzi's.

BigGrizzly
04-28-2009, 08:33 AM
I can see the glow of the shiny props on the horizon:yes::yes::yes: