PDA

View Full Version : Replace the Valve covers?

Just Say N20
04-26-2009, 02:53 PM
I mentioned that during my initial run, when I opened the hatch, it was smoky.

Last night I pulled the port exhaust manifold. After looking things over, I wonder if I should replace the valve covers? The transom end looks pretty corroded, and feels like it has "bubbled" up, although it feels solid.

Also, how do you "de-rustify" a block that has gotten to this degree, so it can be repainted?

The engine is coming out so I can attend to these things, and clean up the bilge.

MOP
04-26-2009, 04:31 PM
I would pull the engine what you see up top is also happening to the bottom, I would also worry about the pan and flywheel housing shield. Those old 255 valve covers "May" be savable with some work but I would not. You need a lot of cleaning, solvents, wire brushes, primer paint and possibly a few parts.

Phil

MOP
04-26-2009, 04:38 PM
P.S. you should not use a regular wire brush on aluminum, it will cause it to corrode over a fairly short period, it is important use S/S wire brushes on aluminum parts.

Speed Racer
04-27-2009, 10:20 AM
Yea!
That thing looks nearly as ugly as my 302 did when I pulled it! Mine was frozen solid though! :eek:

Valve covers are easy to get your hands on, and cheap, comparatively.

Wire Brush, some of that rust removing jelly stuff, and a pressure washer will do some good toward getting the block and heads prepped for paint..

Fun Stuff!!
GG

Just Say N20
04-27-2009, 11:27 AM
This runs, but I don't like things rusted to the point where chunks are falling off.

Figure I might as well do it now.

"Rust removing Jelly." I've never heard of that either. You are just filled with helpful information. Thanks!

Rodger
04-27-2009, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=Just Say N20;509886]
"Rust removing Jelly." I've never heard of that either.
It is called "Naval Jelly"

Speed Racer
04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
That's the stuff! I forgot the name, and Navel Jelly just sounds sorta gross.. Lint, ok, jelly, no way!

Conquistador_del_mar
04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
That's the stuff! I forgot the name, and Navel Jelly just sounds sorta gross.. Lint, ok, jelly, no way!

Garry,
That second picture shows a man who really loves his boat! Great shot. Bill

Just Say N20
04-28-2009, 11:43 AM
Speed Racer. Your boat is gorgeous!

I'm hoping you post some videos on You Tube for us all to enjoy when you get in running. :popcorn:

Just Say N20
04-28-2009, 11:45 AM
By the way, just curious what it costs to get the grab rail supports re-chromed?

I'm seriously thinking of having a local canvas shop bend me a new grab rail out of stainless. By the time you polished out all the nicks, it would be about as strong as a drinking straw.

Speed Racer
04-28-2009, 01:56 PM
Thank you for the kind words!!
It is finally done!! Put the registration numbers on it and bought dock lines, fenders and life jackets yesterday.. Tomorrow after work, it goes in the water for the first time!!
Hopefully photos and a video if I can get my hands on a camera!

On the chrome.. I think it was a package deal. I had him polish the aluminum rail, and do all of the fittings for about $300 or so?
I am still looking for my spare fittings for you.... The garage is a mess, as the final push has been on to finish in time for the Opening day parade here in Seattle.
GG

jl1962
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Garry -
WOW!
Looks awesome. Right up there w/ Magical Bill and Jason.

Bill-
You'll get there too!

One day, if we could only get them all together.......Count me in....

Peace/Out
Jay

Just Say N20
04-28-2009, 07:28 PM
I met Magical Bill and Jason last summer at Portage Lake.

Beautiful Boats. I watched them run, and had the sense that there was more to them than met the eye, in terms of performance. You can tell when the engine sounds a little different, and the rpms vs. speed seems a little above normal.

Jay, your boat is spectacular too!

It would be fun to get a bunch of 16s together. And then there is Parnell's 16 :eek: .

Speed Racer
04-29-2009, 10:55 AM
...Agreed!
I really would like to make the AOTH.. But the tow from Seattle would KILL my vacation time.... Perhaps next year?!

Sweet Cheekz
04-29-2009, 02:13 PM
It would be fun to get a bunch of 16s together. And then there is Parnell's 16 :eek: .

Motor is back in next week and I am ready for AOTH Can't wait.

MDonziM
04-29-2009, 06:00 PM
Bill,

FYI if you look at the Warlock pis in the "other boats" section, that prop looks like the one I used to run.

Marshall

Just Say N20
04-29-2009, 08:36 PM
Marshall, I ran one of those on a 1970 17' Switzer on a straight 6 150 Merc. I always heard them referred to as a "chopper." They blew out nicely when planing off on an outboard that exhausted through the lower unit.