PDA

View Full Version : Now this is different...!!!!

fogducker III
04-26-2009, 11:05 AM
Went out yesterday for a few hours, sunshine and calm all day....:yes:

Up near a place called Maple Bay we shut down and were just floating in the bay, heard the distinctive sound of a big block running hard..........around the corner came a sight I can not explain....:eek:

This thing was (I found out later talking to the owner/builder) built by Craig Lawrence based on a Donzi 33 hull, I believe he said he modified it to a step hull and enclosed it.......running a 572 motor....:confused:

I didn't have a long time to talk to him and would have liked to peak inside, perhaps another day.

When he saw my boat he said, "So do you know Lenny?" ...:bonk:

I think Lenny will be able to shed some more light on this boat.....:wink:

Ghost
04-26-2009, 11:17 AM
VERY cool! If we're trying to figure out what to call it, I'm putting the "Donzi Venetian" into the ring. (Although the fastback reminds me of a Plymouth Cuda.)

McGary911
04-26-2009, 11:26 AM
That's pretty cool for sure. I like the 007 on the side :shades:

zelatore
04-27-2009, 10:56 AM
Practical? Not so much. (at least in terms of getting in/out/line handling/etc...but it would be nice for those chilly NW days)

Cool as hell? oh yeah!

Craig S
04-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Really nice!!

zelatore
04-27-2009, 11:10 AM
VERY cool! If we're trying to figure out what to call it, I'm putting the "Donzi Venetian" into the ring. (Although the fastback reminds me of a Plymouth Cuda.)

Cuda just doesn't have the pizzaz needed, even though it does look like one!

In sticking with the Italian theme, may I suggest 'Donzi Mangusta"
http://bringatrailer.com/2008/02/27/ready-to-drive-1979-detomaso-mangusta/

(btw, I love the website name)

chappy
04-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Very cool and unique.

Ghost
04-27-2009, 11:28 AM

Funny, I was big on the Pantera until I saw THAT very site, maybe a year ago. Can only think Mangusta now. That's some gorgeous sheet metal.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-27-2009, 12:20 PM
That is one of the coolest looking boats from a visual aspect I have seen, but I don't believe the closed in feeling would work too well in most warmer climates. Still a very unusual boat! Thanks for the pictures. Bill

Ghost
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
The closed nature intrigues me, and strikes me as a feature for one of a couple specific purposes.

Any feel for whether it is some islander's fast commuter or other personal ride to the mainland, versus a high-speed-streamlining enclosure? I would think the former is far more likely.

Lenny
04-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Back from Hawaii. :( :( :( Got used to the mid 80's for sure :yes: Anyways , at least it is clear and sunny here. Time to get back to habitual posting and boating again.

Jeremy, about 4 years ago, in a small town ... far far away, ...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37552

;)

fogducker III
04-27-2009, 12:48 PM
The closed nature intrigues me, and strikes me as a feature for one of a couple specific purposes.

Any feel for whether it is some islander's fast commuter or other personal ride to the mainland, versus a high-speed-streamlining enclosure? I would think the former is far more likely.

I think your right on both counts, I spoke briefly with the owner and from what I know about West coast weather, the enclosed aspect is perfect for what he uses it for. They live on a remote point and keep the boat on a dock and travel to other islands and Vancouver. The inside area is VERY spacious with great seating. I did not get a chance to look at the engine or drive unit, but it sounds REALLY friggin tough.............:yes:

The back hatches are great and there is actually a lot of deck "walking" area on the deck with well placed hand rails.......

fogducker III
04-27-2009, 12:50 PM
Back from Hawaii. :( :( :( Got used to the mid 80's for sure :yes: Anyways , at least it is clear and sunny here. Time to get back to habitual posting and boating again.

Jeremy, about 4 years ago, in a small town ... far far away, ...
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37552

;)

Welcome back Lenny, I knew you would know this boat, Craig said to say hi............:wink:

Ghost
04-27-2009, 12:53 PM
Too cool. You guys should twist some arms and get some newer pictures.

zelatore
04-27-2009, 02:09 PM
Too cool. You guys should twist some arms and get some newer pictures.

abso - freekin' - lutely!

justleft
04-27-2009, 02:32 PM
Sweet. Here's a scarab. Anyone know anything about it.

The side windows are electric, it had Innovation 468 blower motors and TRS drives. Interior was bare. No roof on the c)ckpit.

Was told that it was made for a James Bond movie (never used) or that it was a styling boat for some show.

Craig S
04-29-2009, 11:19 AM

My favorite car of all time. No bumpers, no mirrors, exempt from the federales.
btw, that would be a '68-'69. The '70 had popup single headlamps.