PDA

View Full Version : Old Style Grab Rail Supports

Just Say N20
04-26-2009, 11:04 AM
The grab rail supports on my 1967 Ski-Sporter are badly pitted and one is broken (picture is of my broken support). I inquired here about a source, and was given the news that they are no longer available. My grab rail is 7/8" OD.

After some searching, I came across a guy who replied via e-mail to me that he had close to 100 of these. I have pasted copies of a couple of the short e-mail exchanges.

Regarding their condition, he said, "They are close to 40 years old and are not like new. They will have scratches from being in a bin. They will need to be plated for show."

He sells them for $25 each.

Below is his contact information.

Joel Lemanski
Classic Boat Hardware
Specializing in Antique and Classic Boat hardware
7340 Manning Ave North
Stillwater, MN 55082
651-248-7314
www.Classicboathardware.com <http://www.classicboathardware.com/>

Conquistador_del_mar
04-26-2009, 11:12 AM
Bill,
Thanks for the great source. Out of curiosity, are your stanchions angled forward or backwards on your boat? On my 1971 they were angled forward. Bill

Just Say N20
04-26-2009, 11:29 AM
Bill,
Thanks for the great source. Out of curiosity, are your stantions angled forward or backwards on your boat? On my 1971 they were angled forward. Bill

Forward.

He also has the end pieces in stock. $50/each.

rustnrot
04-26-2009, 02:23 PM
Before you buy any end pieces, my supplier supposedly has 8 in stock and they are new and perfect and I can sell for less than $50 each! BTW, this is the same supplier that can no longer get the center pieces so this may very well be the last new 8 end pieces around. Let me know.

Just Say N20
04-26-2009, 02:31 PM
Thank you. I will let you know.

I hadn't planned on buying new ends, as mine look great.

But,. . . .

Then I tried to get them off the existing aluminum tubing . . . :bonk::bonk:

They seemed to be mightily corroded into place.

Any suggestions on how to get them off without destroying them in the process?

Speed Racer
04-27-2009, 10:35 AM
Make sure that the set screw on the bottom of the end is out, get some Kroil, spray , repeat, twist, spray repeat..

Kriol is really, really good stuff for restoration, dealing with corrosion, frozen parts, etc..

http://www.kanolabs.com/

GG

Just Say N20
04-27-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the information and the link.

Bill