PDA

View Full Version : Looking for info on 7.4 starter

gonzojessie
04-25-2009, 03:08 PM
I have a problem, was out on the water a few days ago and shut the engine down to enjoy the calm weather in western oklahoma, well I went to start the motor and heard a loun clunk-bang, felt it in the bottom of the seat, anyway pulled the engine cover checked the starter made sure it was tight, it was, so i hit the key again starter just spun but would not engage the 454, so I thought the starter drive went out, got my buddy to pull me back to the slip, next day pulled the starter could not see any visable damage to the starter drive, a little wear on the teeth, I took it down had it rebuilt, while starter was out pulled the plugs and turned the engine with with a breakover and socket to check teeth on flywheel.
there was none missing or damaged, so put the starter back in, it still just spins and will not engage the engine, there were no shims on the starter like you might find on a car/truck starter, this is a 7.4 bravo 1 in an 88 Regazza, I am new to boating, but decent with a set of wrenchs and enjoy working on my on stuff, thanks for any help, sorry if the answer is posted elsewhere in the fourum, and I couldn't find it

MOP
04-25-2009, 03:52 PM
Did the rebuilder install a new bendix? The loud bang felt in the seat is pretty odd!

Phil

gonzojessie
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
yes he completely rebuilt the entire thing, the sound i felt was really a hard knock, i am at a dead end short of taking it to the shop

mrfixxall
04-25-2009, 05:17 PM
yes he completely rebuilt the entire thing, the sound i felt was really a hard knock, i am at a dead end short of taking it to the shop

try bench testing it to see if the bendix kicks out,,,starter solenoid? or mabe you sheered the flywheel bolts and the starter is just turning the flywheel..see if you can turn the flywheel bt hand when the starter is removed...

gonzojessie
04-25-2009, 08:17 PM
thanks for the tips i'm going to pull the starter back out in the morning, i'll see if its the bendix or the flywheel bolts

gonzojessie
04-27-2009, 02:00 PM
pulled it out and the bendix isn't moving out when the starter turns over, now back to the rebuild shop to have a "talk" on what a pain it is to pull a starter out of a big block!

MOP
04-27-2009, 03:15 PM
pulled it out and the bendix isn't moving out when the starter turns over, now back to the rebuild shop to have a "talk" on what a pain it is to pull a starter out of a big block!

Is that a regular GM with the solenoid on top? If so the armature energizes when the solenoids contact washer hit the contacts inside. Are you sure you are hooking it up right, you must use the solenoid. Yes you can spin it by hooking to the tang going to the inside of the casing but that will not through the bendix out.

gonzojessie
04-30-2009, 10:59 AM
I hooked it up like it is in the boat, yep its a typical GM starter, sol. is on top. hooked up battery cable to same post as the one from my battery selector switch in the boat then bolted a wire to the small post on the sol. and used a push button starter, like you would use on a ford starter, starter spins, but sol. will not pull on the mechanical lever that moves the starter gear out

mrfixxall
04-30-2009, 11:14 AM
I hooked it up like it is in the boat, yep its a typical GM starter, sol. is on top. hooked up battery cable to same post as the one from my battery selector switch in the boat then bolted a wire to the small post on the sol. and used a push button starter, like you would use on a ford starter, starter spins, but sol. will not pull on the mechanical lever that moves the starter gear out

The solenoid is bad,when started is enguaged see if the side of the solenoid gets magnitised..

f_inscreenname
04-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Under a hundred on eBay for a mini starter. Totally marine legal and will turn over the biggest motor. Have one on my 454 for a year now. Even like the way it sounds when starting.:yes:

gonzojessie
04-30-2009, 09:20 PM
got the new starter in this afternoon, turned over started on the first try, when I took the starter old one ,back to him, the rebuilder, sol. was bad, he put a new one on now i got a back up if the new one ever gives me trouble....thanks for all the help!