PDA

View Full Version : Question for the pilots

The Hedgehog
04-25-2009, 02:09 PM
I figure that Air22 or someone like that will know this.

During my Skater ride I really liked the intercom system. After digging around, I have learned that a number of the marine systems are borrowed from the aviation industry. After looking around on the Sporty's sight I have found a bunch of options. My question is where is the bang for the buck on headsets and intercoms? I have flown with a set of the $1,000 Bose headsets. I loved them but don't see spending that kind of money. I have had good luck with David Clark but they have a number of choices too. I am looking for a 4 person system that will also work good in stereo. Any ideas?

DonziJon
04-25-2009, 03:17 PM
Sporty's is the place to look. There are ADD On intercom systems that are enclosed in a Self Contained (portable) box...you park it on the floor between the seats. Powered by 2 Nine Volt batterys. I have one that accepts 4 avaition headsets. The brand is "Pilot". Pretty good quality and they make headsets as well. They were designed to be used in planes (Like Rentals) that didn't have a built in intercom system. They also have Push To Talk so the pilot can use the COM radio. Back in 1988 the intercom was $100. The intercom had pigtails that plugged into the dash panel where the headset would normally be plugged in.

Back when I first started flying in 1988, a David Clark headset was about $250. The Pilot brand looked just like a DC but was only $100 at that time. I used the DC myself and I bought a "Pilot" headset for my wife.

BTW: The $1000 Bose you mentioned was probably a "Noise Cancelling" headset. Most avaition headset Mfg. make them today. They were rare back in 1988. Still Pricey. John

EDIT: If you want, I'll post a picture of the intercom box.

EDIT-2: (7:53PM) I'm pretty sure the unit is functional..as an intercom..even if it's not plugged into the panel.

apollo24
04-27-2009, 01:10 PM
I have the Bose with ANR (active noise reduction) and have used them on plane and boat. They were pricey they completely tune out the sound of an engine. Literally, it's like talking to someone in a quiet room when the NR is engaged. I think the Pilot brand would suffice- at least you won't feel so bad if they go overboard.

The Hedgehog
04-27-2009, 02:03 PM
Sporty's is the place to look. There are ADD On intercom systems that are enclosed in a Self Contained (portable) box...you park it on the floor between the seats. Powered by 2 Nine Volt batterys. I have one that accepts 4 avaition headsets. The brand is "Pilot". Pretty good quality and they make headsets as well. They were designed to be used in planes (Like Rentals) that didn't have a built in intercom system. They also have Push To Talk so the pilot can use the COM radio. Back in 1988 the intercom was $100. The intercom had pigtails that plugged into the dash panel where the headset would normally be plugged in.
Back when I first started flying in 1988, a David Clark headset was about $250. The Pilot brand looked just like a DC but was only $100 at that time. I used the DC myself and I bought a "Pilot" headset for my wife.
BTW: The $1000 Bose you mentioned was probably a "Noise Cancelling" headset. Most avaition headset Mfg. make them today. They were rare back in 1988. Still Pricey. John
EDIT: If you want, I'll post a picture of the intercom box.
EDIT-2: (7:53PM) I'm pretty sure the unit is functional..as an intercom..even if it's not plugged into the panel.

Any noticeable difference between the Pilot brand and the DC?