PDA

View Full Version : Ebay,2006 Shelby????

k01harley
04-25-2009, 12:00 PM
Thought the Shelby's were all 07's,and the 06's were x22's?
Did they build any Shelby's in 06.Has a different engine hatch.

yeller
04-25-2009, 12:09 PM
Not a Shelby. It's a GT, but someone put the Shelby name on the scoop.

Mr X
04-25-2009, 04:46 PM
Not so fast guys.....I seem to remember ONE that left the factory with that type of scoop, that WAS a Shelby......I will check on it.
If so it is the only one, and way cool!

yeller
04-25-2009, 05:26 PM
Well you would know better than I. It has the standard throttle though, that's why I labeled it as a GT.

naplesdonzi
04-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Nice boat ... but if you look close it does not have the raised x dimension that the 07 Shelby's have.

k01harley
04-25-2009, 08:14 PM
I questioned the guy listing it,he say it's #7,of 9 built that way,out of a total of 50???He's saying he verified it with Donzi???The interior doesn't have the Shelby embroidery either???

boldts
04-26-2009, 02:14 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/06-DONZI-22-CLASSIC-SHELBY-LOW-HRS-PERFECT-496MAG-HO_W0QQitemZ160330653141QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPower_M otorboats?hash=item160330653141&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=72%3A317|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Beautiful 22 no matter what the x dimension is, but that is coming from a guy who loves blue Donzis no matter what make they are. To steep for my pockets though and maybe for anyone in this economy? Free trailer with Buy It Now price? For $60 grand trailer should be included with any sale. Not offen you find a FL Donzi with fresh water use only. Hope it ends up with a Registry or future Registry member and maybe one day finds it's way to Lake Cumberland in MAy.

olredalert
04-26-2009, 08:22 AM
------This is not a knock on the boat at all but I seem to remember that all these Shelbys are painted boats. There is a bunch of talk in the add about gellcoat though. Can someone jump in here and tell me whats correct??? I sure would like to see one on Lake St.Clair.........Bill S

Carl C
04-26-2009, 09:09 AM
$60,000.........right..........still nice though

A lot of 22s are painted. The yellow on mine is all paint over solid white gel.

k01harley
04-26-2009, 09:48 AM
All the Shelby's I've seen,with colored hulls have been a metalic color,not sure if they were painted,or if that's in the gel?This ones a solid color,like the x22's,that year.I know Pier 57,been advertising a grey Shelby for a while.They also had an x22 advertised there,but I don't see it on their site now.It was the same color as the ebay boat.
Believe the Shelby's were close to $80k,when new.

Very curious bout this,lot of scammers out there.

Carl C
04-26-2009, 10:07 AM
Donzi has flooded the market with various "special editions". That reduces the collectability factor and therefore the value. It is still a 496 boat with standard "X". The aluminum fairing can be ordered on any 22, see my sig pic.

joefitness123
04-26-2009, 12:06 PM
Just posted a couple of pics of my old boat on the thread...take a look and compare...06 shelby..Nice boats

VetteLT193
04-27-2009, 07:55 AM
The eBay boat: Standard X. GT stripe dimensions, no external steering, smooth seat material Vs. carbon fiber.

Nice boat though!!

k01harley
04-28-2009, 03:30 PM
How much are the plain 22's goin for,new?

Schaf
04-28-2009, 08:00 PM
looks just like that REPO in Ohio about a month ago. Its a good lookin boat.

JustMercMe
04-29-2009, 08:01 AM
Not a Shelby. It's a GT, but someone put the Shelby name on the scoop.

Copy that...Mine's hull #8 and considered a GT. I think this is the one from Pier 57 in December of last year. It was labeled hull #7 then. It's not of 50 made either. I think there were 9 made and out of the 9, (3) were considered GT's and (6) were considered Aronow editions

chrisc2
04-30-2009, 11:30 AM
Schaf, If that is the same one then it sure cleaned up well.

boatracer81
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
Seeing as how everyone had something different to say about my Donzi Shelby/Arronow so I decided to call Pier 57 were it came from and ask them some question about the boat. Then I called Donzi and asked them about the boat again to clear up some things they told me the first time I called them as the first time I called when I was buying the boat they said the CX007 is definitely a Shelby. They also said the C-stands for classic and the X-stands for limited edition and the 007 stands for #7 built. So here is what I found out. First of all to clear up the X- dimension it definitely has the raised X-dimension as per Pier 57 and Donzi. The boat goes just under 80mph on the GPS speedo and Donzi and Pier 57 says if it didn't have the raised X-dimension it would only go 67 mph at best. By the way all the new 22' have the raised X-demension now according to Frankie at Pier 57. Now about the boat and the interior, you can go to www.boaterlife.com (http://www.boaterlife.com) and type in Donzi Shelby in the search box to the right what pops up is a picture of the first Donzi Shelby they put out of the factory it looks just like mine, same rear deck lid. Now to clear up the Arronow/Shelby part, the Arronow's were suppose to be Shelbys right off the bat but they were stopped from putting the Shelby name on the boat by Carroll Shelby until they were given the rights to do so, so Donzi went with the Arronow GT Limited Edition untill the Shelby rights were cleared. According to Donzi The first few Shelby's did leave the factory with "NO SHELBY" sticker on them as did the one I have. After the rights were cleared they mailed the sticker from Donzi to the customers that ordered there boats as Shelby's, and that is why my boat has the Shelby stickers on it. Now about the interior embroidery, The Shelby embroidery was left off almost all of 2006 interiors even the ones with the carbon fiber interior. There are quite a few 2006 newer style Shelby boats out there with the newer rear deck lid, carbon fiber interior with no embroidery and the racing controls which I was told the racing controls were an option and not on the list of standard features. All this info came from Donzi sales and Frankie at Pier 57. I will tell you it is a great boat and has some features that are not found on the newer Donzi Shelby boats.

Mr X
05-01-2009, 05:19 AM
Seeing as how everyone had something different to say about my Donzi Shelby/Arronow so I decided to call Pier 57 were it came from and ask them some question about the boat. Then I called Donzi and asked them about the boat again to clear up some things they told me the first time I called them as the first time I called when I was buying the boat they said the CX007 is definitely a Shelby. They also said the C-stands for classic and the X-stands for limited edition and the 007 stands for #7 built. So here is what I found out. First of all to clear up the X- dimension it definitely has the raised X-dimension as per Pier 57 and Donzi. The boat goes just under 80mph on the GPS speedo and Donzi and Pier 57 says if it didn't have the raised X-dimension it would only go 67 mph at best. By the way all the new 22' have the raised X-demension now according to Frankie at Pier 57. Now about the boat and the interior, you can go to www.boaterlife.com (http://www.boaterlife.com) and type in Donzi Shelby in the search box to the right what pops up is a picture of the first Donzi Shelby they put out of the factory it looks just like mine, same rear deck lid. Now to clear up the Arronow/Shelby part, the Arronow's were suppose to be Shelbys right off the bat but they were stopped from putting the Shelby name on the boat by Carroll Shelby until they were given the rights to do so, so Donzi went with the Arronow GT Limited Edition untill the Shelby rights were cleared. According to Donzi The first few Shelby's did leave the factory with "NO SHELBY" sticker on them as did the one I have. After the rights were cleared they mailed the sticker from Donzi to the customers that ordered there boats as Shelby's, and that is why my boat has the Shelby stickers on it. Now about the interior embroidery, The Shelby embroidery was left off almost all of 2006 interiors even the ones with the carbon fiber interior. There are quite a few 2006 newer style Shelby boats out there with the newer rear deck lid, carbon fiber interior with no embroidery and the racing controls which I was told the racing controls were an option and not on the list of standard features. All this info came from Donzi sales and Frankie at Pier 57. I will tell you it is a great boat and has some features that are not found on the newer Donzi Shelby boats.

WOW! very informative, what features does yours have, not found on the newer Shelby's?
I do agree with most of that....
What most don't realise, Donzi's are one of the very last totally hand built products made in America. Almost every one I saw leave the factory had something (or several things) unique
about it. All Donzi's are truly custom boats, it is almost impossible to say "all Shelby's
left the factory with this or that"......or any model Donzi for that matter.

I see threads where people hypothisize page after page about ...it must be this.... or it cant be that because it has this on it, or does not have that on it....
or the X-dimension is not correct for this model.
Trust me gang........all that for the most part means nothing.

Yours COULD be the first one to leave the factory with the Shelby name on it....

By the way NICE BOAT!!!

yeller
05-02-2009, 12:29 AM
They also said the C-stands for classic and the X-stands for limited edition and the 007 stands for #7 built.

All Donzi's are truly custom boats, it is almost impossible to say "all Shelby's left the factory with this or that"......
So there is nothing in the VIN # that specifically identifies a Shelby (from a GT/Aronow)?

MrX, if this may be the 1st boat to leave the factory with the Shelby name, do you think this would also be the 1st boat with the raised X?

boatracer81, congrats on the purchase.

Mr X
05-02-2009, 03:00 AM
So there is nothing in the VIN # that specifically identifies a Shelby (from a GT/Aronow)?
Thats correct.
MrX, if this may be the 1st boat to leave the factory with the Shelby name, do you think this would also be the 1st boat with the raised X?
boatracer81, congrats on the purchase.
It's possible, but no real way to confirm.

Carl C
05-02-2009, 06:10 AM
Then the exhaust tip location isn't a fool proof indicator of whether a 22C has the raised X. If this boat runs near 80 then it must indeed have the raised X.

Ted, you are so right about the variations on these boats. I don't think I've ever seen two just the same. My main special feature is the fairing.

Mr X
05-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Well the exhaust tip location IS a way to tell, but what I ment is that
the records usually will not indicate the X-dim. And for a multitude of reasons..the X-dims may change from boat to boat at any time.

k01harley
05-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Think all my questions were answered.Thanks guys.So much knowledge on this site.Most of you are very helpful.

Price isn't that bad,for an 80mph boat.Try buying an 06 standard 22,and make it go 80,for $60k.Indeed don't forget the "FAIRING",on top of the engine and drive mods.Plus the cool factor of owning something Shelby was involved with.

Beautiful boat,good luck with the sale.

boatracer81
05-06-2009, 10:30 AM
You guy's are right about every Donzi being different even the guy's at Donzi don't know all the changes made to the Shelbys since they started making them. I was told that all the 2006 "CX" boats had the raised X-demension but the options and standard features changed rapidly. Mine has more diamond plating in the engine compartment and has some hatches that allow you to get under the diamond plating. It has the carbon fiber Livorsi gauges which donzi said was only in the Shelby boats (but who knows for sure) and mine also has a very high tech Rockford Fosgate stereo with a large Subwoofer under the deck on the left side and a very powerful amp under the right side of the deck and some other high tech stereo componet under the deck and it also came with a wireless remote for the stereo. They sent me a list of all the options that a dealer could put on the boat and there are a lot of them. The Shelby boats are not all made the same. Even the dual ram trim tabs and the silent choice exhust was an option. Anyway it is a great boat I do have it up for sale at The Boat Connection in West Palm Beach, Fl I have recently lowered the price but believe me I am in no rush to sell it. I use it on lake Ida behind my house and get a lot of looks from passer buyers.

bizpoop.com
10-07-2010, 02:25 PM
I think I just purchased this boat described. CX007 solid blue, etc. I've been boating for many years (currently have other boats) but don't know jack about go fasts or Donzi's. I'm looking forward to learning from all you experienced guys. Boat is being shipped from Lake Norman to my lakehouse in central Florida. The bass fisherman have no idea what I have in store for them. See pics. 172 hours. Boat seemed very clean inside and out. No cracks, rust, etc. Anyone have any other info on this boat to share? boatracer81 appears to have been the original owner and it was always a fresh water boat (Lake Ida and Norman I know both lakes well).

boogie
10-07-2010, 03:39 PM
Damn so you are the guy that out bidded me on that boat!! LOL nice boat wish I would have won that sucker :)

bizpoop.com
10-07-2010, 08:03 PM
Yup. I guess so. They'll be others. I've been hunting for one for six months. Like you, I lost out on several before this one.

JustMercMe
10-13-2010, 03:25 PM
Congrats on the purchase! We have boat #008 & love it. The Shelby paint stripes and windscreen gets a ton of attention! Up the road from ya a ways in the southeastern corner of AL.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/donzi3.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/DSC00008.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/donzi1.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/donzi2.jpg

Ghost
10-13-2010, 03:57 PM
Donzi has flooded the market with various "special editions".

What's the old joke about books? "The unsigned ones are more valuable" or something?

That said for laughs, the silver looks GREAT on that boat.

bizpoop.com
10-13-2010, 08:28 PM
That is one BEAUTIFUL boat. I hope you'll be my mentor for a short while until I get my arms around what I have. Been boater for many years so it comes easy but I know little about Donzi's and go fasts other than what I've read here. Offshore big game boats is where I've been.

For instance, I've read where these boat have have stringer problems. Know anything about that? :confused:

JustMercMe
10-18-2010, 11:12 AM
That is one BEAUTIFUL boat. I hope you'll be my mentor for a short while until I get my arms around what I have. Been boater for many years so it comes easy but I know little about Donzi's and go fasts other than what I've read here. Offshore big game boats is where I've been.

For instance, I've read where these boat have have stringer problems. Know anything about that? :confused:

Thanks! I'll try to help ya what I can, so shoot questions anytime and I'll see what I can do.
As far as the stringers.....look under the engine close to the motor mounts and check for stress cracks @ the stringer connection. Also check the bottom along the inside strakes. If yours has them contact Donzi and they will fix the problem. Mine has had the repair and everything has been great since. They are excellent to deal with also. Might wanna check and let them know here soon b/c the hull warranty is only good for 5 years.

Hope this helps.:wink:

bizpoop.com
10-18-2010, 01:30 PM
I checked the boat and from what I could see it's solid. I could not see up under the engine but looked along the strings as far back as I could.

yeller
10-18-2010, 07:11 PM
I checked the boat and from what I could see it's solid. I could not see up under the engine but looked along the strings as far back as I could.Get a bright light and look at the underside of the boat at the tail end of the inside strake for cracks.

I looked with a flashlight the first time and didn't notice anything. After rechecking closer with a brighter light, I noticed the cracking. Looked just like pencil marks drawn on the gel.

Nice boat btw. Congrats.

bizpoop.com
10-18-2010, 08:29 PM
the underside of the boat? What's involved with the repair? probably have to pull the engine?

JustMercMe
10-19-2010, 03:22 PM
the underside of the boat? What's involved with the repair? probably have to pull the engine?

They did have to pull my engine for the repair. Theres a couple of threads going on what the fix is for it. I had mine fixed March/April '09 and have not seen any recurring cracks or problems with the fix. I've put a pretty got bit of hours on since also....Here are a couple of photos of mine pre-fix to give you an idea what to look for and locations to check.
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/bay4.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/bay2.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/bay1.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/bottom2.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/bottom1.jpg

bizpoop.com
10-22-2010, 08:11 PM
my engine room has that diamond plating on each side of the engine with an access plate of only 8" diameter. its also painted in the shelby blue so its hard to see any of these stress cracks. I'll look more closely now that I know what to look for. I called the factory last week and spoke to a fellow by the name of "Chuck" who pulled the file on the boat etc. I asked him about the hull warranty and he was very hesitant about it saying something like " well........I don't know if the hull warranty is valid since the boat has had a couple of owners but we will work with you to keep your cost down in case you do have this problem". My 5 year warranty is up April '11. Donzi is going through changes and I'm sure they are trying to run from warranty issues. Anyway, I still haven't found anything.

gcarter
10-23-2010, 05:41 AM
I ran into the same problem w/my '88 TR, even though it wasn't in the same series of 22 hulls. There were dramatic differences in the hull configuration pre and post AMH ownership in '94.
Here's a thread about the problems and the solutions for it.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=4
You can read through the next 10 or so pages. I think you'll find it pretty educational.

yeller
10-23-2010, 07:44 PM
I called the factory last week and spoke to a fellow by the name of "Chuck" who pulled the file on the boat etc. I asked him about the hull warranty and he was very hesitant about it saying something like " well........I don't know if the hull warranty is valid since the boat has had a couple of owners but we will work with you to keep your cost down in case you do have this problem". My 5 year warranty is up April '11. Donzi is going through changes and I'm sure they are trying to run from warranty issues. Anyway, I still haven't found anything.
Chuck was a pretty nice guy to deal with when I had my issues. He can only go so far though and then you need to go above him. Donzi does advertise their warranty as being transferable so the multiple owners doesn't fly. They do ask for a transfer fee though. I don't know if the required fee to transfer would hold up in court or not. In any case, if you find the hull cracking, I wouldn't stop climbing the ladder until Donzi paid the bill. It's not a one-off. It's a known issue that should have been a recall.

bizpoop.com
10-24-2010, 08:45 AM
I ran into the same problem w/my '88 TR, even though it wasn't in the same series of 22 hulls. There were dramatic differences in the hull configuration pre and post AMH ownership in '94.
Here's a thread about the problems and the solutions for it.
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=50476&page=4
You can read through the next 10 or so pages. I think you'll find it pretty educational.

I read through your threads. I'd like to come by and see your boat next time I'm up at the lake. I don't think you're far from my house there in Leesburg. I wish I had the skills to do that kind of work!

Carl C
10-24-2010, 09:23 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showpost.php?p=481478&postcount=1

Use a BRIGHT light.

BTW, my boat was repaired under warranty and a hull stiffening kit installed. The recurring cracks turned out to be superficial. I did further reinforcing before installing the 525 and the hull is holding up well.

gcarter
10-24-2010, 11:28 AM
I read through your threads. I'd like to come by and see your boat next time I'm up at the lake. I don't think you're far from my house there in Leesburg. I wish I had the skills to do that kind of work!

You're welcome any time. Just give me a call during regular working hours.

bizpoop.com
11-16-2010, 11:16 AM
Congrats on the purchase! We have boat #008 & love it. The Shelby paint stripes and windscreen gets a ton of attention! Up the road from ya a ways in the southeastern corner of AL.

http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/donzi3.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/DSC00008.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/donzi1.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/donzi2.jpg
may sound like a dumb question but the air intake for the engine is just inside the hood scoop. Is there danger of rain being sucked into the engine running away from a downpour?

bizpoop.com
11-16-2010, 11:18 AM
justmercme with #008, I have same boat and was wondering if you have to be concerned with rain being sucked into through the hood scoop into the engine air intake in a rain storm? We get lots of them in central florida

Cuda
11-16-2010, 03:20 PM
I had Howard O's 22's cracks fixed when the deck was off. It was cracked right in front of the rear seat. It was nothing that would affect the strength of the hull. It was a 1982.

JustMercMe
11-24-2010, 03:25 PM
justmercme with #008, I have same boat and was wondering if you have to be concerned with rain being sucked into through the hood scoop into the engine air intake in a rain storm? We get lots of them in central florida

Sorry about the delay bud, Been tied up this month and haven't had a chance to get online in a while. It rains on me everytime I go to the Suwannee now that you mention that. I haven't had a problem with it. The plastic engine cover should hang over the air intake and prevent water from dripping directly on it from the hood scoop/vent.

If I get tied up and don't answer right away anymore just shoot me an email. Goes direct to my phone. :) itchysnrvous@yahoo.com

Jonathan

bizpoop.com
11-25-2010, 08:49 PM
Another question......I noticed today that when I turn off the ignition, it sounds like the trim tab motor is running and then shuts off. When you shut off the ignition, does the bennett tab system retract the tabs automatically?

Carl C
11-25-2010, 08:57 PM
When you shut off the ignition, does the bennett tab system retract the tabs automatically?

Yes :yes: