PDA

View Full Version : Any one know what this is.

BigGrizzly
04-25-2009, 08:17 AM
what is this. Not Poodle:cool:

chappy
04-25-2009, 08:23 AM
I hope that's not for Onesubdrvr's Chicken.

:shades: :wrench:

MOP
04-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Looks like it a BB that been Hemized, the oil filter location has me a little stumped. Can it be a Chrysler!

gcarter
04-25-2009, 08:59 AM
I remember this engine, but not a lot of details.
It's a Ford follow on to the 427 cammer.......it's all a bit vague, but it's in the same family.

BUIZILLA
04-25-2009, 09:14 AM
why the 10* intake for a car engine?

The Hedgehog
04-25-2009, 10:42 AM
Boss 429?

Whatever it is...it looks cool

zelatore
04-25-2009, 10:50 AM
OK, I'm a little confuses too. At first glance I thought it was a cammer as well, but on closer inspection changed my mind.

So fill us in already!

zelatore
04-25-2009, 10:51 AM
Boss 429?

I thought that was too easy. I figured the logo on the valve cover was just a disguise. :wink:

The Hedgehog
04-25-2009, 11:05 AM
I thought that was too easy. I figured the logo on the valve cover was just a disguise. :wink:

Now that I see the logo...hmmm, well

The heads look Boss 429

olredalert
04-25-2009, 11:19 AM
-----Boss 429, also known as "The Shotgun".........Bill S

Carl C
04-25-2009, 11:26 AM
For sure, a Boss 429 hemi :)

gcarter
04-25-2009, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys for refreshing my memory.
I think I remember this engine coming out after the demise of the cammer, to replace it. I sort of remembered "429" but otherwise I drew a blank.

Cuda
04-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Boss 429?
The 429 was also known as the twisted hemi.

Cuda
04-25-2009, 11:54 AM
Is a "cammer" the same as a 427 side oiler?

Cuda
04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
You know it's a Ford, because Ford knew where to place the distributor. Something that GM never figured out. :shocking:

BigGrizzly
04-25-2009, 12:08 PM
OK this is a hand built all aluminum Boss 429 Built to 600 CID. which is the smallest it can actually go. It was made from special castings then machined to what you see here. the carbs you see are not carbs but an injection system. At this point there are over 2,000 hours in the machining and assembly. This engine is a replacement for the Mustang 4.6. The engine was designed to bolt in a new style Mustang. Everything from the Mustang is used ECU, Air conditioning and is a direct bolt in. Garry had the block and heads cast from an origional still in the crate 429 that he got from Ford when he raced for them. The really cool part is it actually is lighter then the stock engine, by only a couple of pounds. Garry started building it for his Daily driver. However he has orders for several more. It is amazing that it actually fits with only a slight bump in the hood, but that issue is going to be rectified. The base HP is 650HP. Here are some more shots. Yes it runs on pump gas:yes:

The Hedgehog
04-25-2009, 12:31 PM
The 429 was also known as the twisted hemi.

I knew that it has a hemi head. Why the "twisted hemi" moniker?

The Hedgehog
04-25-2009, 12:32 PM
OK this is a hand built all aluminum Boss 429 Built to 600 CID. which is the smallest it can actually go. It was made from special castings then machined to what you see here. the carbs you see are not carbs but an injection system. At this point there are over 2,000 hours in the machining and assembly. This engine is a replacement for the Mustang 4.6. The engine was designed to bolt in a new style Mustang. Everything from the Mustang is used ECU, Air conditioning and is a direct bolt in. Garry had the block and heads cast from an origional still in the crate 429 that he got from Ford when he raced for them. The really cool part is it actually is lighter then the stock engine, by only a couple of pounds. Garry started building it for his Daily driver. However he has orders for several more. It is amazing that it actually fits with only a slight bump in the hood, but that issue is going to be rectified. The base HP is 650HP. Here are some more shots. Yes it runs on pump gas:yes:

That is so unbelievably bad ass!

What is even cooler is that it bolts in. I would imagine that it will surprise lots of folks.

Carl C
04-25-2009, 12:47 PM

I've seen fully streetable 5.4 DOHC SC Mustangs running 8 second 1/4 mile.

Cuda
04-25-2009, 01:18 PM
I knew that it has a hemi head. Why the "twisted hemi" moniker?
I don't really know, but I assume the valves aren't directly across from each other.

Cuda
04-25-2009, 01:20 PM
On a Ford, you can remove the intake without removing the distributor.
Try that with a Chebby. :)

CHACHI
04-25-2009, 01:44 PM
On a Ford, you can remove the intake without removing the distributor.
Try that with a Chebby. :)

Not on a FE motor.

On a Chevy you can remove the intake without taking the push rods out.

Cuda a "cammer" is a type of side oiler.

All side oilers aren't cammers, but all cammers are side oilers
Ken

gcarter
04-25-2009, 01:51 PM

Randy, that sounds expensive!:eek:

onesubdrvr
04-25-2009, 02:53 PM
I hope that's not for Onesubdrvr's Chicken.

:shades: :wrench:
Cylinder count isn't right for the Chicken,... HP may be close, but cylinder count is wrong :D

Wayne

BigGrizzly
04-25-2009, 09:12 PM
The Valves are canted Like the Clevland, but they were not side oilers. The intake can be removed without removing the push rods and this is NOT a FE series, not even close. As for the super charged 5.4. funny you should mention that. Remember I said Base HP was 650, and a daily driver. Well George that particular one is the first and won't be for sale it goes into his personal fleet with all the camaros one for the first ten years of production. He has not put a price on the others yet.

Cuda
04-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Not on a FE motor.

Ken
I mostly tore apart 289's. Mom's 64 Galaxie station wagon had a 390 4V. I think that was an FE engine.

I've never seen a Ford with the distributor in the back. It wasn't like we never had to get to the points. That was the first thing I would check, when there was such a thing as points. No feeler gauge, just use a matchbook to set the points. :)

Cuda
04-25-2009, 10:01 PM
The Valves are canted Like the Clevland, but they were not side oilers. The intake can be removed without removing the push rods and this is NOT a FE series, not even close. As for the super charged 5.4. funny you should mention that. Remember I said Base HP was 650, and a daily driver. Well George that particular one is the first and won't be for sale it goes into his personal fleet with all the camaros one for the first ten years of production. He has not put a price on the others yet.
Never seen a stock Cleveland that ran worth a crap. I think the valves were too big for the CID (2.19 intakes if I recall correctl), amd you could drop a crescent wrench down those ports.

Cuda
04-25-2009, 10:03 PM
Not on a FE motor.

Ken
So was the 427/425 horse a side oiler?

CHACHI
04-26-2009, 05:51 AM
So was the 427/425 horse a side oiler?

Joe, I can't honestly answer that question.

Ken

gcarter
04-26-2009, 05:54 AM
Never seen a stock Cleveland that ran worth a crap. I think the valves were too big for the CID (2.19 intakes if I recall correctl), amd you could drop a crescent wrench down those ports.
Speaking of large intake valves, I think I remember the 429 Boss having 2.4" intakes.

Cuda
04-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Speaking of large intake valves, I think I remember the 429 Boss having 2.4" intakes.
I think you are right, but they were too that was 429 CID, rather than 351 CID.

CHACHI
04-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Ya have to suck it into the cylinder before you push it out.

Ken

BigGrizzly
04-26-2009, 09:08 AM
Well Cuda, The statement that Cleavland s run LIKE crap is another area we disagree on. Yes the intake valve is 2.19 on 0ne version V4 and 2.08 on another V2. My Corsican has the H&M Cleavland in it. and runs very well for a 350 unit. The big valve was designed for the Lamans 24 hour in a stock body Ford. The project didn't get finished so the Panthera got there engine as well as some units. The main problem was the cam and combustion chamber on the lower compression models. The Q4 had the good one. There were two boss engines , the Cleavland and the 429. Both could benefit from bigger displacement. In drag racing the 512 cube 429 was common place. My 351 Cleavland with a Volvo drive, runs every bit as good as a 18 classic with a 350 mag in it. Back in its day a V4 Cleavland equipped mustang, would out run a comparable Camaro. BTW I still have a 1971 Cleavland equipped MACH I in my garage. DO NOT even try to compere this hand built engine to thoes of yesteryear. This boy will twist a 3 inch drive shaft in a hurry. Un fortunately some brackets for this new engine have been removed so dropping it into the MACH I will take a little work, about another hour or two:lookaroun:

BigGrizzly
05-22-2009, 08:01 AM
Well, wile I was in Cumberland and the engine got its final dynoing. Now there was a glitch. It seems that 650HP start was understated. The Dyno sheet I just saw was 802HP and the darn thing idles at 750 RPMS. This is suppose to be a daily driver. The other thing that is odd is the fuel usage is less than a 454 truck engine(stock) at 3000 rpms. It puts out good power from 2,400 to 7,200. This is really weird. so much so they took it off the Dyno and put it back on after checking the dyno with the mule. Came out the same. It is in the car now being fitted. How is that for a daily driver. Pictures do later.

BlownCrewCab
05-22-2009, 09:37 PM
A Bit OT (off topic) from this motor But, Brownie and another guy, Bill Roper ( a north Miami sr hi auto shop teacher) worked for H/M, Brownie was the GM. When Chevy came out with the 454ci, ford only had the 429 as a big motor, Brownie and Bill built the 460ci, Bill told me of stories where they built and ran a 460 on the dyno until it blew up, they took it apart and rebuilt it, ran it wide open again until it let go, rebuilt it again until they had something they could litteraly run the "F" out of that wouldn't blow up, and thats the ford 460 you have today. I couldn't use Bills actual verbage, but I'm assuming it was a fun time:yes: along with a hard time, that brought whats available today....

mrfixxall
05-23-2009, 01:29 PM
Well, wile I was in Cumberland and the engine got its final dynoing. Now there was a glitch. It seems that 650HP start was understated. The Dyno sheet I just saw was 802HP and the darn thing idles at 750 RPMS. This is suppose to be a daily driver. The other thing that is odd is the fuel usage is less than a 454 truck engine(stock) at 3000 rpms. It puts out good power from 2,400 to 7,200. This is really weird. so much so they took it off the Dyno and put it back on after checking the dyno with the mule. Came out the same. It is in the car now being fitted. How is that for a daily driver. Pictures do later.

So GRIZ! when is the critter going to see this new power plant:)

BigGrizzly
05-23-2009, 05:55 PM
B Cab that is not off the topic at all. All these stories if not told will be lost for ever. Garry and his dad did the same stuff when they were racing for Ford, then Chrystler then Chevy. I asked him which he prefered and he said the fast ones. He said they were all good it was the Techs were the down fall, Stuff happens if you don't do it right.
M Fix, I hope I did not misleads you, This engine is not going in the Criterion, at least for a while, quite a while. I am freshining up the 502 with a bigger intercooler and blower. The object is to get the same HP out of the engine on regular grade, not high test gas. By running cooler with a higher volume bower the air chatge cam be cooler and hopefully run regular. With 800 hours it was time to look see before IT told me to in a loud voice. It should have its last dyno run on Thursday or Friday:)