PDA

View Full Version : oil coolers

zelatore
04-24-2009, 09:42 AM
Talking with Poodle the other day he mentioned something that I could really use:

A combination oil and PS cooler that mounts across the back of the motor above the bell houseing. (where my stock PS cooler lives)

He was pretty sure it was an HP500 part, but he's not around his office to try to dig up the part number.

So....anybody here have one of these? Or at least know what year/model it would have been on? It would sure make life easier when I try to plumb the cooling system on my 502 if I could find something like this.

<edit>
I'd also be happy to look at aftermarket solutions that combine these two coolers if anybody knows of one.

MOP
04-24-2009, 09:47 AM
Not to sure if this will be of any help, it is the 575 oil cooler. This page shows separate not all in one.

http://216.37.204.206/Shorts/mercruiser_oem/Mercruiser.asp?Type=12&SubType=111&A=142

gcarter
04-24-2009, 09:50 AM
Here ya go Don;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220343786399&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&viewitem=

But I think this is list price. It's a great cooler. I had the single unit oil cooler on the Minx.
I don't know how to get it any cheaper. Maybe someone's a Revolution dealer.

MOP
04-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Carl go up onto http://forums.boatfreaks.org/ do a search there are several discussions on size and also using a thermostat so as not to over cool. Seems over cooling can be as bad as not enough.

zelatore
04-24-2009, 09:55 AM
Wow - less than 8 minutes and you guys have already come up with an answer.

I'm impressed!

George, frankly that looks like a pretty good price. I was figuring closer to $500 in my head for list on a Merc part. I can get a little break on Merc stuff, but since I'm not a dealer I can't get it at wholesale, so this doesn't look bad at all. I'll have to work up some kind of mounting brackets, but I should be able to handle that.

gcarter
04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Wow - less than 8 minutes and you guys have already come up with an answer.

I'm impressed!

George, frankly that looks like a pretty good price. I was figuring closer to $500 in my head for list on a Merc part. I can get a little break on Merc stuff, but since I'm not a dealer I can't get it at wholesale, so this doesn't look bad at all. I'll have to work up some kind of mounting brackets, but I should be able to handle that.
Well, note that it does come w/brackets, ya just gotta do some mating to the engine.
MOP's idea of a thermostat is also a good idea. Where you live it's probably more important than here where the water never gets below 75* and 90*+ in the summer.
It is a GREAT cooler.

zelatore
04-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Cooler ordered!

I'll do some research on thermostats a little later and might try to add something either before or after I get it in. For now I'm just trying to line up some parts for my (hopefully) long weekend next week so I can make some progress on this thing!

handfulz28
04-24-2009, 11:13 AM
While you're in the spending mode, if you don't already have one consider an oil temp gauge. Even if you just rig something temporarily, it's the best way to see what the oil is doing.

VetteLT193
04-24-2009, 11:54 AM
While you're in the spending mode, if you don't already have one consider an oil temp gauge. Even if you just rig something temporarily, it's the best way to see what the oil is doing.

A lot of oil coolers have ports for mechanical gauges. My oil cooler has a mechanical gauge. I also added a regular oil temp gauge, although I haven't bought the sensor yet to make it work :bonk:

gero1
04-24-2009, 09:38 PM
my 95 came with one on it, stock 502. just changed all the oil lines

MDonziM
04-24-2009, 09:53 PM

I agree. I have a stock 94' 502. Put an oil temp guage on 2yrs ago and last yr oil temp started creeping up to 240+. Never would have known. My mechanic thinks that ethanol fools the mefi1 and makes it run lean.

BigGrizzly
04-25-2009, 08:04 AM
The one that Gero1 said was a common merc part and is a really good one. I use it on my motor. It also has tale off ends for cleaning and winterizing.

zelatore
04-29-2009, 09:31 PM
One cooler ordered last week; one cooler installed tonight.

No problems with the water plumbing. I re-used the stock hoses and just trimmed the ends off a bit at the cooler since this one is much wider.

The cooler came with a couple mounting clamps to attach it to a flat surface. I made some simple aluminum channels up and bolted them to the top of the bellhousing, then bolted the supplied clamps to those. It's in the same place as the stock PS cooler; it's just much larger since it does PS and oil.

The smaller hose attached at the left side is the return to the PS pump. The vertical barb sticking up next to it is for the line coming back from the helm. The larger line is coming from the oil filter adapter. I haven't installed the other side yet (which will go to the remote mounted oil filter) because I haven't decided where I'm going to put the filter yet and don't know which way to point it.

The only trouble was that the cooler is set up for 1/2" MPT fittings. While the oil lines are 1/2", the PS lines are 3/8" and I couldn't find any angled barbs from 3/8 to 1/2 so I had to use reducers. The fittings are a little on the ugly side, but they're way in back so I'll live with it. If I was good, I'd have custom lines and fitting made up. I'm not that good. :wink:

BigGrizzly
04-30-2009, 08:48 AM
That is how to do it. This is good nice work, you must be in the marine business.:wink:

JayZ
02-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Curious if you needed to add an oil t-stat to work with the Revolution combo cooler on your 502?

I am rigging mine now and am curious. The mill I am using is a 502 carb that will be stock for the first season then I'll bump the cam but probably not much else.

Thanks!

Jay

gcarter
02-24-2012, 06:48 PM
Jay, it has a lot to do w/the water temp you boat in.
IMHO, here in FL where the water can get quite warm, it's not necessary.

zelatore
02-25-2012, 10:29 AM
Jay, I didn't add one, but I think it would be a good idea. I tend to run in pretty cool water here in the CA delta as it's all Sierra run-off from only a couple hundred miles away.

Of course, not so long after I installed that I pulled the engine down and I'm only now getting around to putting it back together. Life found some obstacles to throw in my way since then, but there's light at the end of the tunnel.