PDA

View Full Version : I took a Skater ride today

The Hedgehog
04-23-2009, 10:41 PM
I got to be the videographical coordinator of an adventure today. We were going to try to put a Skater 399 V to the test today. The boat ran 135 or so with 1075's. The boat should run 150 or so now (yes, we were sporting lifelines, watching gauges like hawks and talking through intercom). The owner had the 1075's taken out and had Eddie Young Re-rig the boat with a set of his 1,200's. We did not get to break 100 as we had fuel pressure issues early in the run and then ran out of light. All I can say is wow. We made a few 90+ mph passes and the boat was not even working. The sound of 2,400 hp with dry pipes is unreal. The boat has staggered #6's with 41" props. The boat seems to want to jump on plane when you put in in gear.

I will post a few pics later when I retrieve them.

fogducker III
04-23-2009, 10:45 PM
I got to be the videographical coordinator of an adventure today. We were going to try to put a Skater 399 V to the test today. The boat ran 135 or so with 1075's. The boat should run 150 or so now (yes, we were sporting lifelines, watching gauges like hawks and talking through intercom). The owner had the 1075's taken out and had Eddie Young Re-rig the boat with a set of his 1,200's. We did not get to break 100 as we had fuel pressure issues early in the run and then ran out of light. All I can say is wow. We made a few 90+ mph passes and the boat was not even working. The sound of 2,400 hp with dry pipes is unreal. The boat has staggered #6's with 41" props. The boat seems to want to jump on plane when you put in in gear.

Lucky bastard..........:wink::yes:

mrfixxall
04-23-2009, 11:10 PM

I have a friend that has a skater 36 with sterling twin 1500's,i think his cruse speed is 130!! those skater's are sick..max speed i think is 168,,we ran out of water and their was some left in it...hedge,did it have dual helms for steering?

Just Say N20
04-24-2009, 06:34 AM
How long did it take to stop smiling?

Cig35?

Thoughts? :wink:

gcarter
04-24-2009, 06:45 AM
CHACHI has a story about a boat like this, a photo shoot actually. Something about it being boring at 135 MPH.
Maybe he'll tell us about it.

The Hedgehog
04-24-2009, 07:22 AM
I have a friend that has a skater 36 with sterling twin 1500's,i think his cruse speed is 130!! those skater's are sick..max speed i think is 168,,we ran out of water and their was some left in it...hedge,did it have dual helms for steering?

Yes, it had dual helms. It is sick.

The Hedgehog
04-24-2009, 07:26 AM
Here is the stern with those 41" Herrings

DonziFreak
04-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Took a ride in a 21 skater that almost ended my life once.....they scare the s*** out of me.....

CHACHI
04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
I wasn't in a cat but a 43 ZR with twin 1075's is an ok boat.

It was a Powerboat trial in Sarasota a few years ago. Boat ran 115 with 3 people and was just rock solid.

IMO,a 22 at 65 is a lot more fun than this boat at 115.

I also had an opportunity to ride in a Sunsation F-4 with 700's.

Again, a very soild ride with a max speed of 99.

Try as Teauge may, he couldn't break a buck for love nor money.

A helicopter ride, ending up on the cover of Powerboat and seeing the

behind the scenes work that goes into a magazine. It was a good time.

Ken

show-n-go h2o
04-24-2009, 09:19 AM
There's a smoking deal on a red 399v at Lake cumberland Marine. We were looking at it and the O/L. That Skater has great lines.

Hedge we need more pics of this unit.

mrfixxall
04-24-2009, 09:35 AM
Here is the stern with those 41" Herrings

Ahhhh!!outter limits,thats a sweet ride also!

The Hedgehog
04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
There's a smoking deal on a red 399v at Lake cumberland Marine. We were looking at it and the O/L. That Skater has great lines.

Hedge we need more pics of this unit.

Derrick,

I will grab a few off Boatfreaks. There is a detailed thread on the project. Those are as good as any I took. Hopefully I will get to go back to help out for the big ride. I will post some video clips I took when John sends them to me.

The boat is a trip. VERY trim sensitive. We never even went positive. Too much up and it gets squirrely fast. It rides flat a lot like a cat. It just rides higher and higher the faster you go. It takes turns pretty well.

I don't have much experience with boats of this calibre but will be happy to talk to you about the pros and cons of what I saw/experienced. I spent several hours in this boat. Let me know if you want me to give you a shout.

The Hedgehog
04-24-2009, 10:28 AM
Pics,

I thought that these tabs are kind of interesting.

McGary911
04-24-2009, 11:49 AM
Wow. That thing is sweet. Sounds like you had a blast.

show-n-go h2o
04-24-2009, 12:44 PM
Derrick,

I will grab a few off Boatfreaks. There is a detailed thread on the project. Those are as good as any I took. Hopefully I will get to go back to help out for the big ride. I will post some video clips I took when John sends them to me.

The boat is a trip. VERY trim sensitive. We never even went positive. Too much up and it gets squirrely fast. It rides flat a lot like a cat. It just rides higher and higher the faster you go. It takes turns pretty well.

I don't have much experience with boats of this calibre but will be happy to talk to you about the pros and cons of what I saw/experienced. I spent several hours in this boat. Let me know if you want me to give you a shout.

Thats a good looking paint job, out of all the O/L that we looked at they all had dirt in the paint,swirl marks and lot's of other blemishes in the paint which is what turned us off of them, that 399v that we saw was perfect compared to them but still not as flawless as our Donzi paint. I will probly bend your ear a little on it as soon as we start moving forward in the purchase.