PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Shortie???

Ranman
09-25-2002, 10:37 AM
After reading the posts on the IMCO shortie lower for Bravos and the Stern Jack thing, I got to thinking. I wonder if there is a market for an "Alpha Shortie"? I'm assuming this hasn't been done due to the reliability issues of the Alpha drives. It seems you can realize a 4-5mph gain on an 18 Classic by running a 2" shortie lower on a Bravo at a cost around $2000. Obviously you have to have the Bravo though. Why can't this be done to the Alpha? Maybe there's just no market since the Alpha is not a performance drive. Would the shorter shaft strengthen the drive at all? Would a 2" shortie lower come out of the water too often? Whatdaya think?

What would happen if I installed a stern jack on my Bravo along with the IMCO 2" shortie all connected to a 12" setback box?

Can you picture how long the external steering rams would have to be? eek! eek!

CDMA
09-25-2002, 11:09 AM
She would FLY and rule the waves...

Woodsy
09-25-2002, 11:48 AM
if she didn't break first.....

Woodsy Von Donzi

harbormaster
09-25-2002, 02:09 PM
Yeah yeah woodsie.

Chris, I think it would be a great idea.

HyperDonzi
09-25-2002, 02:29 PM
a shortie for an alpha is a good idea. look at people with them, if your are happy having under 300hp, it is one last finishing touch.

Ranman
09-25-2002, 02:32 PM
I would think if you are running 300hp or less behind a small runabout (like an 18 Classis) an Alpha shortie would work just fine. Seriously though, Chris, Woodsy, anybody, why wouldn't this work?

CDMA
09-25-2002, 06:42 PM
Woodsy,
According to you what won't break?

Randy,

I think the idea ( imco shorty, bravo, sternjack) has merits. Check my other post about the stern jack.

I really don't see why using all three in tandem wouldn't work and I think the short X would equal more speed and the standoff would increase handling and control. However that being said with the drive hanging that far off the back of the transom you really need to look into transom strength issues. That is one heck of a moment arm back there. I think if I had an unlimted budget a small extension box and a imco shorty would be the nicest set up. I think you would gain a bit of speed and avoid all the issues of having the stern jack being used in tandem. ( Hey if someone wants to pay for this I can be a gineau pig :D :D :D )

Now any of what we are talking about could easily be done with an alpha but IMHO it just is not worth putting the money into an inferior drive system. It is like droping the 1000 hp drag motor into the car with a stock rear eand. The chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

I went there with my alpha and in the end I just didn't think it was worth it to invest money in something that was going to be doing above and beyond what it was capable of.

Now I will be the first to admit that my way of doing things is not the only way or even the right way but these are just my feelings. If you are looking to go faster then the stock 60 mph speed after going from an alpha to a bravo I can tell you that it will be the best $ you ever spent. Anything can happen for sure but if you blow a bravo behind a SBC donzi you are trying really hard.

Chris