PDA

View Full Version : Boat name design is finished!

JustMercMe
04-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Well being without the girl for a while gave me some time to design the name to go on her. I played hell trying to find a "Shelby" font but I got as close as I could.....I'm hoping the red will make it stand out a bit being thats the only red on the boat.....The black letters will actually be the darker grey thats on the boat.

Tell me what you guys think now! Give me your thoughts!
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/DonziName.jpg
http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l195/itchysnrvous/Donzi/DSC00008.jpg

BUIZILLA
04-23-2009, 07:49 PM
don't do it...

BigGrizzly
04-23-2009, 07:52 PM
I like it a lot. I want to rename my boat but I just have no imagination, every thing I come up with nobody in the family likes, and i am trying to get more politically correct, befor The secretary of the treasury Githner taxes me for it:boggled:

Carl C
04-23-2009, 08:51 PM
don't do it...

It's a personal decision but.....I agree. Save the names for the bigger boats. JMO, you asked for it.:wink:

Donzi Vol
04-23-2009, 09:50 PM
I think the design looks good. To each his own on whether or not to name a 22' Donzi, but if you're going to, I think you've done well with the design.

Ghost
04-24-2009, 12:19 AM
Agree with all of the above.

RedDog
04-24-2009, 07:29 AM
I like it, but then I did name mine putting it on both sides - about 4" in diameter:

glashole
04-24-2009, 07:32 AM
+ 1

don't do it

BigGrizzly
04-24-2009, 07:35 AM
Names are a personal touch. All the boats in my family have names except the Corsican has not been put on yet because we are still arguing about it for 15 years.

JustMercMe
04-24-2009, 07:47 AM
10-4 on the "don't do it".....Nothin's in stone yet so we may leave it be for a while and see how that goes. Donzi called yesterday and said she was ready for pickup so I'm off to get her next sunday.:yes:

Thanks for the opinions guys!

Barry Eller
04-24-2009, 07:54 AM
I vote to name it...everyone that sees the "YIPPY-KAI-YAY" on my transom smiles and finishes the name for me, "M......F....."

Carl C
04-24-2009, 07:55 AM
If you really must name it I think RedDog's little 4" logo on the side is a more tasteful option. I was going to do a little "Suck My Wake" thing ala "The Great Outdoors" but figured it wouldn't be a good idea since I piss off some people as it is and they would take it literally. That's a beautiful boat; Leave it appearing just like it came from the factory except for possible performance upgrades on the transom.

VetteLT193
04-24-2009, 07:57 AM
It is REALLY hard to get the name to look ok with the racing stripes.

I agree, don't do it.

Mr X
04-24-2009, 08:04 AM
I like the name and "get it" but I do not like names the the smaller boats.
Don't do it.

VetteLT193
04-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Oh... I think the shelby font is just Arial, but it's squashed down and has the inside stripe on all the letters.

hot shot
04-24-2009, 08:11 AM
I find all the don't it's hard to believe... i think its a nice look and makes that boat yours and not the same oh same oh, but it seems when an opinion is asked for on the site all the negativity... I find it hard to sit in a little box and do all my thinking just my 2 cents

gold-n-rod
04-24-2009, 08:57 AM
I find all the don't it's hard to believe... i think its a nice look and makes that boat yours and not the same oh same oh, but it seems when an opinion is asked for on the site all the negativity... I find it hard to sit in a little box and do all my thinking just my 2 cents

I'm with Mick on this one. Merc4Me asked for opinions on the design. I don't recall him asking for 2 cents about whether or not to do it. For christsakes, it's not like that huge ass Alan Jackson full side abortion. Give the guy some slack.

I don't think freaks should put those 1.5" circles of plastic in their ear lobes, but you didn't see me posting it to Merc's resquest. :nilly::nilly::nilly:

Merc, I'm really glad you got your boat back. Do to it what you wish and enjoy the hell out of it. Happy boating. :wink:

Rob M
04-24-2009, 09:04 AM
Mr. "Mojo Risin" would approve of the name...and he even drove a Shelby GT-500 back in the day. Go for it.

BUIZILLA
04-24-2009, 09:22 AM
but it seems when an opinion is asked for on the site all the negativity my opinion was based on the fact it already
has a name.... it's a Shelby GT, renaming it only takes away from the established character around which it was designed in the first place..

don't shoot the playa..

VetteLT193
04-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I also was saying not to do it based on the design. It is a real PITA to make any name look good with the stripe(s) on the boat.

gcarter
04-24-2009, 09:45 AM
I personally like the design, as a design.
Whether or not to put it on your GT is a personal choice.
I would probably do something smaller at the upper port side of the transom that couldn't be seedn from a great distance.
I think Jim's opinion is fine for a lot of things.
Large yachts have manufacturers and model names too, but they almost always have a boat name which personalizes it to the owner.
Where's the determining size that determines whether or not it gets a full blown name on the transom?
I sure don't know.

JustMercMe
04-24-2009, 09:48 AM
If you really must name it I think RedDog's little 4" logo on the side is a more tasteful option. I was going to do a little "Suck My Wake" thing ala "The Great Outdoors" but figured it wouldn't be a good idea since I piss off some people as it is and they would take it literally. That's a beautiful boat; Leave it appearing just like it came from the factory except for possible performance upgrades on the transom.

Love that movie......Got the DVD...."A pontoon boat?!, What the hell ya gonna do on a pontoon boat?.....Retake Omaha beach?"

JustMercMe
04-24-2009, 09:56 AM
I also was saying not to do it based on the design. It is a real PITA to make any name look good with the stripe(s) on the boat.

Fully agree....Played hell getting something that I thought would look good on the stripes. Still don't know if I can get the exact vinyl to match the colors....My registration numbers are a lil off color but nobody notices.

As far as the the small circular name on the side at the rear....I have the stainless letters so I think they might interfere there.

No arguments fellas! This was the purpose of the thread and was meant to be a feeler for people thoughts on the idea. Seeing theres not another like it (Cobra grey with the Aronow scoop) I think I might hold off on the name for now....We'll see.

joseph m. hahnl
04-24-2009, 10:08 AM
Looks good to me:shades: boat names come into play when they break free from there mooring. Usually tells you the name and the harbor she's from.It is also good for reporting for safety or break down issues. For instance there is a guy with a Donzi 22 Shelby jumping my wake and he almost jumped into and over me. Or you could say a Donzi 22 Shelby with the named Blah Blah etc. etc.
I guess if you doing things Illegally then a name isn't a good Idea:eek:
I think the most important aspects though, are for recovery and recognition. Some one stole my boat, the boats name is Blah Blah Blah , My boat came unmoored the boats name is Blah Blah Blah. May day May day this is Blah Blah Blah I.m stuck out here in the middle of the ocean .:yes:
Or it becomes Legendary like " Mighty Mouse":shades::shades::shades:.

DonziJon
04-24-2009, 10:57 AM
One of the problems with dark colored (Gelled) hulls is they fade quickly. Fading gracefully is fine but IF you cover up part of the hull that catches the sun, by Shielding the new gell underneath with the lettering, you will have a ghost left over after the lettering is removed a couple of years down the road.

The potential buyer may not like Your name on HIS new boat, or You might not want Your name on HIS boat, but he will have to get over it...or pass on the boat. It's a personal thing I guess. Just lookin ahead to when you want to step up to the next boat. John