PDA

View Full Version : Coosa Board......

Donziweasel
04-22-2009, 04:52 PM
First, I hope this stuff is worth it. I ordered from Fishery Supply in Oregon. Guy said he could not ship it UPS because it was too big (4x8). Then we agreed to have it cut in half to 2 4x4 and shipped UPS. This was Friday. Today he called back and said it was still too big for UPS. He wanted 150.00 to ship it. I said hell no.

So, I then spent 45 minuted on the phone with Coosa Composites looking for a distirbuter. Everyone I called was out of the Bluewater 26 in 3/4 inch 4x8 sheets. Would then call back Coosa. Poor Tamara was beside herself trying to find a distributer.

Finally I found one. This is the reason for the post. www.hamiltonmarine.com. Located in Maine. The price for the board was cheaper and the shipping on UPS ground was only 9.50! Not cut, a full 4x8 sheet. They are 2500 miles from me and 140.00 cheaper than some idiot in Oregon who thinks UPS won't ship a 4x8 piece of board (sorry, but I ordered this last Firday and he calls with his revelation today. I am fairly pissed with this company, plus trying to rip me off on shipping).

I think Hamilton Marine is a good source for this stuff. My 4x8 sheet cost 250.00. So after 1 1/2 hours, I finally got it taken care of. Man, I hope it is good stuff because getting it is almost as aggravating as grinding the bildge!!!!!!:bonk::)

zelatore
04-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Fisheries is a weird place to deal with. They mostly cater to the commercial fishing market, and they sort of have this attitude of 'we don't work with amateurs'. They do carry a lot of hard to find stuff, but you almost have to know they have it beforehand because they don't go out of their way to be helpful.

Donziweasel
04-22-2009, 05:46 PM
That about wraps it up with them Don. My thought when I got off the phone with them was "local shop that doesn't deal with shipping much".

Oh well, ordered my stuff online from Hamilton and it took a few minutes. Even calculated the shipping.

gcarter
04-22-2009, 05:50 PM
If you do have to cut it, I'd suggest two 2' X 8' sections. Ya don't want to have too many joints.

Good luck.

MOP
04-22-2009, 05:50 PM
Quote: Man, I hope it is good stuff because getting it is almost as aggravating as grinding the bildge!!!!!!:bonk::)

Except for the price my glass guy really likes it, says that he does not think anything else matches it. His only gripe was using it where the panel had to have a radius, in that type app he said you need to use a few layers of their thinner stuff pulled into place while laminating. Don you will end up with a very nice product when done! Quit Bioching about the nice white dust!!!

BUIZILLA
04-22-2009, 06:21 PM
Finally I found one. This is the reason for the post. www.hamiltonmarine.com (http://www.hamiltonmarine.com). Located in Maine. The price for the board was cheaper and the shipping on UPS ground was only 9.50! Not cut, a full 4x8 sheet. somebody's about to lose thier a$$ :nilly: :nilly:

mrfixxall
04-22-2009, 06:56 PM
If were me and the rest of my stringers were wood and lasted for 30 years then i would try to replace it with whats their, just make sure you cut the stringer in a 45 deg angle going twards the back of the boat so whatever your uning is under the exhisting stringers:)

MOP
04-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Er! Was the decimal misplaced? $950.00:pimp:

BigGrizzly
04-23-2009, 08:05 AM
Be CAREFUL, There are several kinds. you WANT BLUE WATER 26 not nautical or the others, they are weaker and lighter I spent an hour with the manufacturer and discussed this whole issue. I have been working with the stuff every day since Friday and it is really strong and light, easy to work with. the only issue is screwing in the end center it is not as strong as wood, it will NOT split, and I have been truing. Glue and epoxy, resin and JB weld stick to it with a vengeance. I would get 3/4 and laminate it because it is easier. The cheaper price is for the nautica. Composite ONE is a very large distributor of the stuff. I paid $180.53 for the 4X8 Blue water plus tax. I drove 20 miles over to comp1 and then had lunch with a friend. By 5:00 I was screwing around with the stuff and playing what will stick to it games. If I was going to do transom or stringers I would go this route. I have aluminum stringer sisters so I don't need any at this time. IT is great stuff.

Donziweasel
04-24-2009, 06:48 AM
I ordered the Buewater 26 in 3/4 inch. Thnaks.

gcarter
04-24-2009, 06:50 AM
I ordered the Buewater 26 in 3/4 inch. Thnaks.
It's almost 5:00 AM there.
Time to get up, huh?
How was your shower?

Donziweasel
04-24-2009, 07:08 AM
George, Boo Boo is very sick, going to have to take her to the hospital. Plus, she is only 2 1/2 weeks out from delivering the twins. I am very worried.....haven't slept all night. We are getting ready to go as I type this......

BigGrizzly
04-24-2009, 07:32 AM
This is the same thing and time frame that my sister had with her twins. It is never bad to be careful especially with the first birth. Good luck, She and the children are more important than any boat. Good about the board wait until you get it its amazing the strength it has for the weight.

MOP
04-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Saying a prayer as I type for things to go well for you!

CHACHI
04-24-2009, 07:51 AM
John, I hope all is well.

Ken

gcarter
04-24-2009, 08:12 AM
John, Elaine and I are praying for Boo Boo, the twins, and you.

Ghost
04-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Just saw this--hope all of you are well.

BigGrizzly
04-24-2009, 08:44 AM
John, Be careful, Low key this to Mom or she will be on the next flight out if she isn't already in the air. Lets not get two women in the hospital.

Donziweasel
04-24-2009, 10:29 AM
Thanks everyone, she is in the hospital and doing ok. I just ran home to switch cars and take care of the dogs.

widowmaker
04-26-2009, 07:08 AM
John,
I also just saw this. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.