PDA

View Full Version : New owner... not a turn-key.

rbarna
04-21-2009, 12:52 PM
Seller said this, that and the other thing, but my fault for not putting it in the water first. Engine runs great, but boat sinks. Was taking on water 2" per 30 minutes.

Took it out of the water and had a local mechanic take a look. He says:

1) Bellows are rotten, not leaking but rotten
2) Block off plate where exhaust would be routed if it went to the prop is rusted and leaking
3) Engine needs to be pulled

He's going to give an estimate tomorrow but he said at least $700 just to pull the engine.

Some questions:

1) Anyone know someone who I should use who's familiar with Donzi's near Nyack, NY?

2) Do I really need to pull the engine?

3) How much should this cost to do near Nyack, NY?

4) How long should this take?

5) Anyone want to loan me their Donzi while I wait? :wink:

I'm wondering if I should put in a captain's choice exhaust system while I'm at it... where do I get those parts?

Thanks!

-Ross

VetteLT193
04-21-2009, 01:14 PM
Seller said this, that and the other thing, but my fault for not putting it in the water first. Engine runs great, but boat sinks. Was taking on water 2" per 30 minutes.

Took it out of the water and had a local mechanic take a look. He says:

1) Bellows are rotten, not leaking but rotten
2) Block off plate where exhaust would be routed if it went to the prop is rusted and leaking
3) Engine needs to be pulled

He's going to give an estimate tomorrow but he said at least $700 just to pull the engine.

Some questions:

1) Anyone know someone who I should use who's familiar with Donzi's near Nyack, NY?

2) Do I really need to pull the engine?

3) How much should this cost to do near Nyack, NY?

4) How long should this take?

5) Anyone want to loan me their Donzi while I wait? :wink:

I'm wondering if I should put in a captain's choice exhaust system while I'm at it... where do I get those parts?

Thanks!

-Ross

I think the block off plate is aluminum, so kinda hard to rust. I'll do some searching though to double check. if you don't have to pull that, you don't have to pull the engine... you might be able to do that with the engine in, but I am not sure. if you want captains call, check eBay, good deals there. you have to pull the engine to do that.

If it's leaking, you can count on the bellows, both shifter and main. The job sucks. It will cost you $$$$$ to have it done. Or, you can do it yourself. I just did mine.... you will also want to replace the bearing and the trim limit / trim sensors while you are there (unless the sensors just look fantastic)

Parts:
Grease gun
Slide hammer
bearing re-seat tool
gimbal pin tool (I used an allen wrench, worked fine)
Bellows glue ($10-12)
Bellows kit with bearing($80 from sterndrive.cc)
trim sensor kit ($80 is as low as you will find this)
Beer (15 12 packs)
help from a friend (add another 20 12 packs, especially if your friend is my brother)
2 weekends of your life (add another X amount of favorite beverage for your wife so she doesn't kill you)

VetteLT193
04-21-2009, 01:22 PM
regarding the block off plate, it looks like the old ones are aluminum, new ones stainless.

MOP posted this on another site as a fix that doesn't require a bajillion dollars.

A fix that I originally though temporary is to clean the hole zinc chromate it then tape it about 2/3's the way up. Then mix a coffee cup full of foam pour it in hold a piece of cardboard over it just long enough for the foam to kick, once kicked the cardboard and tape will be sticking out a few inches trim it off and shoot some black on it. I did this as a temp years back, it worked so well I have done it on two others since. The beauty is you can get away without pulling the drive.

rbarna
04-21-2009, 01:33 PM
If I'm not routing the exhaust through the prop, it doesn't really matter how rotten the bellows are, right?

Just Say N20
04-21-2009, 01:36 PM
Yes, it does matter. The bellows seal a very large hole below the water line. Exhaust can go through it, but so can water. :yes:

I believe the post above describes a way you can also seal off that opening, if you never plan to use it for exhaust.

rbarna
04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
anyone have a good diagram of the alpha internals that shows the bellows and the block off plate?

VetteLT193
04-21-2009, 01:39 PM
If I'm not routing the exhaust through the prop, it doesn't really matter how rotten the bellows are, right?

The term 'bellows' is generic. you shouldn't have the exhaust bellows installed at all. that's the lowest one. what you should see when the drive trimmed up all the way is an oval opening at the very bottom, that would normally be exhaust bellows.
Above that is a bigger one, round. that is the main bellows for the drive shaft, U-joints, and bearing. if that leaks, it is NOT GOOD. The last one you will see is on the right side, a small rubber one, for the shift cable. That will let water in the easiest in my opinion... you can see it dumping in if that is bad.

You can feel/see the big bellows and shift bellows. use a flashlight and poke around with your finger. Also look at the main water line. The water line is a 'tell' on age. if that is cracked, re-do it all.

VetteLT193
04-21-2009, 01:41 PM
anyone have a good diagram of the alpha internals that shows the bellows and the block off plate?

Read this entire thing. it's humorous, but pretty true to form. it's not as hard as they make it out to be, but it is a total PITA. I'll look for a diagram now.

http://www.sterndrives.com/replace_alphaone_bellows.html

VetteLT193
04-21-2009, 01:45 PM
In this pic, #7 is the shift bellows. it goes into the round hole on the right. the lower oval port is the exhaust... again, yours should be open. the top large round opening is where the bearing goes

http://www.sterndrive.info/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/W-Mercruiser-Alpha-One-gimbal-housing-parts.jpg

VetteLT193
04-21-2009, 01:48 PM
In this diagram, #1's and the rubber thing between it is the main bellows for U-joint (I think "U-Joint Bellows" is the official name). #2 is exhaust bellows (again, you shouldn't have that).

http://www.sterndrive.info/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/BW-Mercruiser-parts-drawing-bell-housing-10-thru-20.jpg

rbarna
04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
So I could do the foam fix on the exhaust bellows and then put the boat in the water and check for leaks in the main and shift bellows?

If I needed to replace the main and/or shift bellows, then I need to pull the engine or just pull the outdrive?

VetteLT193
04-21-2009, 01:52 PM
So I could do the foam fix on the exhaust bellows and then put the boat in the water and check for leaks in the main and shift bellows?

If I needed to replace the main and/or shift bellows, then I need to pull the engine or just pull the outdrive?

Step one is to inspect the heck out of everything back there. the U-joint bellows, shift bellows, and cooling hose. If any of them are torn, cut, ripped, cracking, you need to replace ASAP because if you let the main U joint bellows stay torn things will get really bad really fast (think $$$$$$$$)

To do the work, the engine stays in place. For a first timer, it is a full weekend job. You'll probably also want to replace the impeller just to get everything up to 'new' and have peace of mind.

rbarna
04-21-2009, 02:00 PM
This would be the parts kit?
http://www.sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9A-108&Category_Code=106TA

I'll take a good hard look at the bellows this afternoon.

If they look good, I'm very tempted to do the foam fix and see how things go.

gcarter
04-21-2009, 02:05 PM
I wouold strongly suggest you buy a manual for Mercruiser outdrives, Clymer is good but not the only one. It will take you step by step through the whole process.
The Clymer manual is about $25.00 and is available at most any major bookstore and also your local Merc dealer.
Everyone needs a manual.

gcarter
04-21-2009, 02:06 PM
http://www.sterndrive.cc/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=9A-108&Category_Code=106TA

Before you go this route, be sure and pay up your Boat US so that when it sinks, you'll have someone to recover it.

VetteLT193
04-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Yes, that is the parts kit. When you are inspecting look long and hard at everything, this is THE area between you having fun and you having a miserable day.

Also inspect the wires coming out of the trim stop and trim indicator pucks. if you see green, add them to the list because you aren't going to want to replace them later.