rbarna
04-21-2009, 11:19 AM
I'm looking for ways to ensure reliability... so far I've got:

1) A new 350 vortec
2) A new fuel tank
3) regular inspections of the impeller and bellows
4) regular oil and gear oil changes
5) 2nd battery

What else can I do to ensure that I don't break down? All ideas welcome!

Thanks!

-Ross

Ghost
04-21-2009, 11:49 AM
Toward the overkill end of the spectrum (or maybe not, depending on where you boat), putting in two fuel filters/separators, with a selectable y-valve, so if you are out and your filter clogs, you can hot-swap and keep running. Guys who go offshore through nasty inlets, at times NEEDING power to be safe, are the likeliest to opt for this sort of thing I think.

I'll also tack on keeping a spare distributor cap and rotor, and being certain to have tools to swap these onboard at all times. I've had one go once before I pre-emptively replaced it, and it gave almost no warning. (One or two *very* subtlely lukewarm starts at most, and then no start at all.)

And closed cooling.

Maybe spare fuses too, if you don't have breakers.

Just Say N20
04-21-2009, 11:54 AM
Spare prop.

glashole
04-21-2009, 12:12 PM
quick story

had a few issues with a couple of boats that i own or have owned

girlfriend used to get a little upset when it would break down for whatever reason
along the lines of (why don't you get rid of that thing and get a proper boat)
( proper boat being a cabin cruiser like all of our friends have)

anyways I got one (see fiberglass repairs thread)

anyways had a few issues with it as well
and of course it
ruined a few weekends obviously but it was always a good time

anyways, one time In the middle of trying to get something to work while also trying to determine how we were going to get 1) home 2) more beer if #1 was not possible she again begins to question the boat purchase to which I replied

" if i knew it was going to break, i would have fixed it already"

remember you can never fix everything and the one thing that goes you don't have on the boat

however most importantly make sure it is full of fuel whenever you leave the dock

chappy
04-21-2009, 12:32 PM
Good Leatherman.

handfulz28
04-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Use it regularly. Check the oil level before each use. Don't run it aground or shallow enough to suck crap off the bottom. Spray everything with a thin coat of your favorite corrosion blocker and grease up electrical connections. Perform hourly/annual maintenance.

As for what to do in case something isn't working right. Carry a cell phone, VHF and join a tow service. By the time you've packed enough tools and spare parts to cover everything that can go wrong you might as well just bring a spare boat.

Sam
04-21-2009, 06:37 PM
Not knowing the condition of of your boat and what your concerns are keep this in mind.............heat kills :yes:. That said do all you can to keep your engine at the proper temps and that goes for your drive as well. So some of the obvious things would be:
> Proper oil pressure
> Regular oil changes
> Proper engine temps means that you have good water pressure and a good working Tstat. Don't let your impeller go until you have a problem. If you suspect and issue deal with it.
> Check your battery.
> Check all belts regularly.
> Get a drive shower.
> Change drive lube.
At the end of the day there's only so much you can do to protect yourself from a bad day on the water. So you just have to put your money on the table and throw the dice.........oh and don't forget a good tow line :wink:

Planetwarmer
04-22-2009, 01:55 AM
quick story

" if i knew it was going to break, i would have fixed it already"

remember you can never fix everything and the one thing that goes you don't have on the boat

however most importantly make sure it is full of fuel whenever you leave the dock

This is off the thread topic, but it does pertain to women and their occasional irrationalities when it comes to mechanical failures.

Last week my wife and were going out of town. We were on our way with 1 more stop to make (drop the dog off at a friends). She took the dog in and I stayed in the car. She was taking a bit, so I shut the car off to save gas. When she finally came out, I tried to start the car and nothing. She gets in the car and I say "the car wont start". The 1st words out of her mouth was "WHY DID YOU TURN THE CAR OFF!?!":bonk: Now keep in mind this is a 2 year old car with low miles and has never had any issues up until this point.:confused:

Trying to plan for all breakdowns in a boat is impossible. Just maintain what you have and keep a cell and a tow rope. It is like trying to figure where lightning is going to strike. Oh, and pray you don't have a women on board when your boat does "take a dump".:toiletpap:nilly: Somehow, it will be your fault when it does.

Ghost
04-22-2009, 02:18 AM
Always good to have water, beer, and something warm to put on.

mphatc
04-22-2009, 06:17 AM
I'm looking for ways to ensure reliability... so far I've got:

1) A new 350 vortec
2) A new fuel tank
3) regular inspections of the impeller and bellows
4) regular oil and gear oil changes
5) 2nd battery

What else can I do to ensure that I don't break down? All ideas welcome!

Thanks!

-Ross
Ross,

No one can ensure an absolutely 100% reliable boat , , , but preventative maintenance can get you close . . .

Taking your list and editting it with the other suggestions made . . .

1. If your engine runs well mechanically . . service it with oil and belts.
Make sure all engine accessories are in as best possible working order:
Fuel pump, starter, alternator, carburator
2. Fuel Tank, How old is your Donzi? Does it have the old tinned steel tank?
Was it built prior to 1982 ? IRC that is when manufacturers needed to install new matrerial fuel lines that are ethanol compatible. I also like the suggestion for double fuel filters . . that said, I managed to swap fuel filters while running when my Corsican had a bad tank . . I DO NOT advise this :nilly::eek:
3. Water pump . . cooling sytem . . maintenance annually . . .
4. Oil and gear changes . . as needed, 35-50 hours run time
5. Battery . . . I prefer an Optima or gel cell
Electrical system, inspection annually, ensure that you have good connections, clean and secure. Some older Donzis have no fuses or circuit breakers!

Then go boating . . . but know that anything mechanical can and will break. Just be prepared to help and assist yourself.

Mario L.

1968 Magnum 27
1969 Corsican

gero1
04-22-2009, 06:49 AM
2 cases of beer way up under the deck, you wont have time to crawl up under to get it untill u break down.........or run out of fuel

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 08:14 AM
make sure you have the right anchor for the river so you don't have to worry about the boat drifting or getting swept away in the current. this will let you focus on the trouble at hand. the current can be your friend or your worst enemy when disabled

Tony
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Since a towline has been mentioned, I'll suggest this also; boat with friends!

(Been there, done that...)

:beer:

jimishooch
04-22-2009, 09:18 AM
a working bilge pump helps.

bobwpe
04-22-2009, 09:21 AM
Spare belt(s), Boat US towing insurance.

rbarna
04-22-2009, 09:24 AM
Any difference between Sea Tow and Boat US?

BigGrizzly
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Boat tow is boat us. The only other way to insure reliability that was not mentioned were one, drive with a second boat Two leave it on the trailer and don't use it:bonk::bonk: Your good to go, no one can predict the future.

rbarna
04-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Donzi's seem to be like Porsche's, if you don't use them they break.
:convertib::bonk:

mike o
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
After ya fully equiped....dont forget the donzi GIRLS..:party:.