PDA

View Full Version : Formula 233

tangent70
04-21-2009, 09:35 AM
While checking the hull on my formula it was discovered that the fiberglass had pulled away from the stringers. The guy that glassed them obviously did a poor job. (4 years ago). I decided to redo the entire boat. so far the stringers are removed and the hull cleaned up.

rustnrot
04-22-2009, 02:46 PM
This is very interesting. What were the stringers made out of? Did the glass work that was done 4 years ago simply not stick very well and peeled away from the hull bottom?

tangent70
04-22-2009, 03:15 PM
When the stringers were removed it seemed as if he used 2x12's. I don't know if it was treated wood or not. Whatever he used the glass did not bond to the wood very well.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-23-2009, 10:53 AM
When the stringers were removed it seemed as if he used 2x12's. I don't know if it was treated wood or not. Whatever he used the glass did not bond to the wood very well.

Just a guess, but treated wood will usually come wet. It needs to be left out to totally dry or the fiberglass will not bond to it. This takes quite a bit of time to dry it out so many shops will not wait long enough. Again, just a guess as to why it did not bond. Bill

MOP
04-23-2009, 01:55 PM
I am with you on the moisture, I learned from a boss a long time ago how to check plywood that has stood me well. When you think a sheet of plywood is dry it is probably not, he would order plywood and put it away where it was warm and dry for at least three months. When he was pretty sure it was good to go he would mark a 3/16" bit to only go through the first few layers but not out making a pocket. He would take little resin which was always cooking someplace in the shop and fill the hole, if the resin was fully sucked into the wood after 30 minutes then and only was it ready to use.