PDA

View Full Version : Gordie Howe .....

boxy
04-20-2009, 09:57 PM
Two questions for you Hockey guys.

The first one should be easy....

If a player is said to have scored a Gordie Howe in a game what did he do ?

How many Gordie Howe's did Gordie have in his 5 decade long NHL career?

Ghost
04-20-2009, 10:38 PM
Two questions for you Hockey guys.

The first one should be easy....

If a player is said to have scored a Gordie Howe in a game what did he do ?

How many Gordie Howe's did Gordie have in his 5 decade long NHL career?

Given how much he camped out in front, I'd say it's either having one go in ricocheting off you, or more likely, just being credited with a goal you didn't score, as the closest man.

30?

boxy
04-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Those answers would be incorrect, well thought out, but still incorrect.

The first question involves three distinct things happening in a game....

yeller
04-21-2009, 12:29 AM
Wow...been a loonnnng time since I've heard that one.

Is it a goal, an assist, and a fight?

How many? Don't have a clue.

chappy
04-21-2009, 07:18 AM
I think it's a goal, an assist, and a fight in the same game as well.

I really would have liked to see Mr. Howe play. I only started watching Hockey during the Islander years of the late 70's, and have enjoyed the sport ever since.

Seems like he was a man among men.:superman:

boxy
04-21-2009, 07:27 AM
Yeller and Chappy are correct....

A goal, an assist, and a fighting major penalty in one game is known as the Gordie Howe Hat Trick.

Any guess as to how many he had over his lengthy career?

Ghost
04-21-2009, 07:31 AM
Now that I know what it is, I'm putting my over/under at 11.

EDIT: Just saw goatee's post below. If it's one PERIOD and not a GAME, I'm dropping my estimate to 4.

goatee
04-21-2009, 07:34 AM
gordie howe hat trick is a goal, assist, and a fight in one period. not game.
as for how many times this happened??
once?
thats my guess

boxy
04-21-2009, 07:41 AM
Goat, I'm pretty sure it is in a game, not a period.

Ghost
04-21-2009, 07:45 AM
I just Googled, Wikipedia thinks it is a game, not a period.

"Wikipedia is the best thing ever. Anyone in the world can write anything they want about any subject. So you know you are getting the best possible information." -Michael Scott, "The Office"

goatee
04-21-2009, 07:45 AM
im only going by what i heard, as im sure we all are.
only question is:
"who heard right"?
wishing i could upload pix from cell right now. id show pix of howe at the joe.:mad:

goatee
04-21-2009, 07:47 AM
ghost, nice first sentence.
and oh yeah,,, nice second sentance.

goatee
04-21-2009, 07:55 AM
Although Howe was the most feared physical force and best fighter in his era after he took down Lou Fontinato in 1959, he actually only recorded one Gordie Howe Hat Trick during his 26-season NHL career. That came Oct. 11, 1953 at Detroit's Olympia Stadium when he fought Fern Flaman and recorded a goal and two assists in a 4-0 triumph against the Toronto Maple Leafs.

wow! EVERYTHING I READ SAYS "GAME"
but it looks like i got the number right. only 1....

Ghost
04-21-2009, 08:04 AM
http://www.cbc.ca/sports/blogs/2008/10/the_mystique_of_the_gordie_how.html

claims a second one against the Leafs in '54.

Whatever the real answer, apparently it's pretty flippin rare. Given that the guy scored 800+ goals. I figure maybe those occured in 600-650 games. If he got an assist in one out of 4 games on average, maybe that's 150-162 possible games. I figured a fight in 1 of 30 games, but on reflection, I suppose that's WAY too high.

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 09:22 AM
my guess and it would be a guess would have been blocked shots not fights by the time I saw howe play he was in his 40's and did not have the rep as a fighter but anyone who has success in the game knows how to have a go of it . gretsky had the same rep more of a scorer than a fighter but i am sure he could handle himself once they came off

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 09:24 AM
i would have thought someone like shanahan or messier even mellon head lindros would have a fight an assist and a goal in a game

gcarter
04-21-2009, 09:29 AM
I saw Howe and his two sons play in the early '70's when he was in Houston.
I went to two or three games. That's been my only exposure to hockey.
BTW, he wasn't playing much then but his boys did.
That era was a real novelty for Houston. Most folks there, like me, had never seen it played before.

boxy
04-21-2009, 09:33 AM
The best reason as to why Gordie didn't record more "Gordies" was that after he took apart Fontinato he had a really tough time finding a willing dance partner.

Matty, Rick Tocchett held the record for awhile, and I believe Shanny is the current Gordie Hat Trick leader......

Wikipedia does seem to have the correct answer this time, but in all things hockey trivia related I differ to my good buddy Liam Maguire.... :D :D

http://www.liam.ca/

This picture of Liam, and the Cup was taken in a friend of mine's backyard....

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 10:13 AM
i was a big mark howe fan when he came to the flyers ,

but in my house gordie was good bobby hull was king ;)

roadtrip se
04-21-2009, 10:33 AM
Prime time for Howe was right here in Detroit baby...

I'd like to think that maybe a few of the passports might put a little more Gordie love on the folks from Columbus tonight.

Badda bing, badda boom.

Tony
04-21-2009, 03:49 PM
Prime time for Howe was right here in Detroit baby...

Definitely. All his other years were filler; to play with his sons, and later to set longevity records.

The "Gordie Howe Hat Trick" topic came up a few years back, but not with this much detail...i.e, how many times did it occur. It seems to me that if it was as infrequent as some are mentioning, then why did the feat get "named", or "memorialized"?

Matty is right in that very few dared to drop 'em with Gordie. I do remember a young punk with the Blackhawks, name of Keith Magnuson, who thought he was pretty cool. He fought Gordie Howe kind of as a statement, Howe was older by then, and Magnuson got his rookie a$$ handed to him...bad!

Howe was very dirty in the corners, too, his elbows were legendary and often not noticed by the officials. Not to mention much of Howe's career was spent on the same line as Terrible Ted Lindsey, who would KILL you if you looked at him cross-eyed.

Coupled with Steve Yzerman, the longest-serving captain of any sport, ever, Detroit's got two of my all-time favorite athletes.

:beer:

Tony
04-21-2009, 03:55 PM
i was a big mark howe fan when he came to the flyers ,

but in my house gordie was good bobby hull was king ;)

Bobby Hull, The Golden Jet, was awesome. They had no curved sticks at the time, and thus no rules against them, so Bobby Hull would heat and steam his blade so much that it looked like a banana, or a hai-alai pelota! (totally mis-spelled!) He would rip slapshots and no one knew where the puck was going. Goalies started wearing masks shortly thereafter, and the league also started to limit curve rules.

Ghost
04-21-2009, 04:26 PM
...if it was as infrequent as some are mentioning, then why did the feat get "named", or "memorialized"?

Seems like a good question to me. I have a theory--if the stuff we ran into today is correct. As rare as it was, he did it in October of '53 and March of '54. So, my guess is it was this twice-in-one-season flurry that put his name on it.

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 06:33 PM
Tony,

all the great hockey players have a little dirty streak in them, gordie, messier, clarke, all worked people over in the corners

i went to a game at the garden way back when early 70's and saw hull play for winniepeg i think and it was the WHA at the time

well think about it with only 6 teams playing i would say the knew each other quite well so Gordie's was even bigger nowadays teams don't even see some other teams in the league

later on when he was older i bet some would drop em for respect for the man or for his rep

yeller
04-21-2009, 07:36 PM
Tony,
all the great hockey players have a little dirty streak in them, gordie, messier, clarke, ...In the original Canada vs Russia series in 72, there was a Russian player that was destroying the Canadians. Can't remember his name, but Clarke went out and intentionally slashed the guy across the ankle so hard it broke his ankle and put him out of the series. Canada went on to win the series.

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 09:53 PM
In the original Canada vs Russia series in 72, there was a Russian player that was destroying the Canadians. Can't remember his name, but Clarke went out and intentionally slashed the guy across the ankle so hard it broke his ankle and put him out of the series. Canada went on to win the series.

then on then way home he taught the Czecks a lesson :eek:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bHJj7avd4

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 09:59 PM
another good clip

u go ESPO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJlyxe2LC7o

Tony
04-21-2009, 10:01 PM
Matty, that is some Bobby Clarke clip...now THAT was a nasty shot.
Nothin' worse than a good butt-end to the jaw!
Easy to see why the were called the Broad Street Bullies.

yeller
04-21-2009, 11:00 PM
then on then way home he taught the Czecks a lesson :eek:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2bHJj7avd4Not a pretty site. I've never approved of stickwork. It's a cowardly act. If you've got a problem, drop the gloves.

Tony
04-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Reminiscing about the olden days makes me think about an old Boston Bruin named Derek Sanderson.
I used to think he was pretty cool...kind of like the Joe Namath of hockey.

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 12:45 PM
clarke was one of my favorite flyers and I will admit he was overly aggressive with the stick, i more admired him for his tenacity and the fact that he was small and a diebetic but still played the game.

the flyer game that the russians walked off the ice was a chippy game but most of the hits were clean and not called penatlies. I remember watching that game with my brother and father. My father was a Major in the Army at the time, he was a baseball football fan and didn't watch basketball or hockey. he was amazed that the red didn't fight back and he said that he thought some one called and told the coach to pull them as to not embarass the red army ( one of those you will coach the siberian kiddy league for the rest of your life calls). when you think about it after the ass kicking they put on the nhl for a team of boys from college to beat them at their own game was truely an upset of worldly proportions

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 12:57 PM
here is the clip from that game and I have to tell ya those hits don't look all that natsy or hard, I mean the hit stevens used to put on anyone moving east to west over the blue line would have caused WWIII. Lindros is still hearing bells and footsteps ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQ5YKQrEqRk

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 01:04 PM
even this doesn't look that bad but would be a penalty with the new rules

Scott Stevens was like a great white shark when you are trying to cross the blue line you know he is out there some where and if you had the puck you might has well be a bleeding seal cause he was gonna get you

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Z7-XRPcrw

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 01:12 PM
hey Box,

I forgot about Rich Tocchet

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJiRfC06n4E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFciWDNH8Co

hands of stone

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IXASyW7HuoA

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 08:29 PM
got a question guys, how long do you think gordie would have put up with a guy like avery before he knocked him out cold??

boxy
04-22-2009, 09:00 PM
He may still come back and kick his ass.....

The better question is .... How long will Torts but up with him?

Tony
04-22-2009, 10:08 PM
Avery slugged a guy the other night, and the guy just took the punch and looked at him. Roughing penalty to Avery.

Tonight, with two minutes left in the third and his team up 2-1, he takes a stupid high sticking penalty after a whistle.
Tortorella was shaking his head big-time...I bet we don't see "Sloppy Seconds Sean" for the rest of the series.

goatee
04-22-2009, 10:25 PM
got a question guys, how long do you think gordie would have put up with a guy like avery before he knocked him out cold??
when is sean scheduled to come to the joe next?

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
when is sean scheduled to come to the joe next?

Goat

we didn't play ( our division) your division last year, but this year you guys came out to us not sure how the schedules will work out if next year we come to you or not.

the only way that will happen this year if the rangers make the finals against you guys That would be the only thing that would make me route for the wings ;)

Torts looked like he was gonna call uncle vinnie and have avery knee capped in the parking lot .

he is an emotional player and some times he is the spark to get things going but then sometimes he gets going too much and he flames his team

Tony
04-23-2009, 09:06 AM
That would be the only thing that would make me route for the wings ;)

Yeah, I understand, lots of people usually cheer for the underdogs. :wink:

goatee
04-23-2009, 09:13 AM
it was just a joke, cuz gordie is at the joe every now and again. (like he would do it today):yes:
but while we are on that topic, i do like the idea of playing every team in the league at least once every season. i dont know if it was just a rumor, or something the league was actually considering but,, im all for it.

avery was a spark plug when he was here, pretty much the same or worse at kings. him pim went through he roof. 250-260 pim
but its been more about his antics. he does things you just dont do.
causing the league the make new rules, "the avery rule" about blocking goalie view with your stick. the "sloppy seconds", the roughing call the other night was unreal. theres just no need for that. he has no place in the sport. in any league! it to bad too, because he can skate well, and score, make plays, hes a good instagator. if he wanted,, he could be an exeptional hockey player!!

this "sitting alone" thing on the bench is not new. i have heard thru grape vine he showers in a seperate room. at least when he was on dallas.. maybe now too??? idk. players want nothing to do with him.

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 09:55 AM
Goat,
that hit the nail on the head

funny NY fans are very "what have you done for me lately" and there is such a thing as a NY minute.

my Rangers fan friends are up and down like a roller coaster on this guy he is the best thing since sliced bread or not worthy of the air that surrounds him.

he'll make a big hit or play "that a boy" the next minute he takes a bad penalty or does something stoopid "oh $hit"

what is the old saying one oh $hit wipes out 5 that a boys

plus the rangers fans thinks it's 1994 all over again I told them they are on a 50 year time frame

if the flyers can't stay alive tonight it's on golf , baseball, boating and barbeques for me

goatee
04-23-2009, 10:18 AM
if, you get a chance to see a wings game,, tune in!
#13 is my fav. player ever! from the moment i first saw him play.
i honestly believe he is the best stick handler to ever play the game!!!!
he is barry sanders on ice, and a total thrill to watch.

someone tell me how to post utube videos.
id love to share some with you.

goatee
04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5KkwRXN_lM

goatee
04-23-2009, 10:31 AM
half way thru 1 guy says "any canadian can do that"
i know it was j/k but,,,it gos with what i said on stanley thread

goatee
04-23-2009, 10:33 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAZ8ixke4wY
heres a real quick one