PDA

View Full Version : truck lighting

BUIZILLA
04-19-2009, 04:05 PM
every day I leave for work in the dark, almost every day I drive home in the dark... I never liked the factory headlamps, I can easily outdrive them, so I found these HID kits on Craigslist, called the local guy this morning and he delivered to my house within an hour, I bought 3 kits, one for this truck, my A4 Audi Quattro, and Jaclyn's new C300 Benz... the difference is really amazing, I was sooooo impressed, I called him back and bought 2 more, for a Trailblazer and Janice's X3.... i'm going to get a set for the coach also. $80 for each kit, including 2 bulbs, 2 harnesses, and 2 transformers per kit... such a deal...

check it out >

BlownCrewCab
04-19-2009, 05:33 PM
With just 2 diodes you can have you headlights/high beams/Fog lights all on at the same time when you hit the brights..It's like turning on the sun in front of your car.

Also, take the bulbs from your high beams and put them in your fog lights, that helps a bunch also.

zelatore
04-19-2009, 06:12 PM
Interesting. Got a link? I could use something like that in the 'ol Dodge.

I've had HID lights in the last two cars (A4, 335) and they are great. Most of the aftermarket stuff I've seen has been little more than 'white' bulbs...looked neat but didn't actually put any more light down the road.

zelatore
04-19-2009, 06:13 PM
BTW, I thought HID was standard on the Audi, Benz, and Merc ??

BUIZILLA
04-19-2009, 07:56 PM
Also, take the bulbs from your high beams and put them in your fog lights, that helps a bunch also.didn't know they would fit...... hmmmmmmmmmmm

Hmm, Doghouse model available? don't see why not, should be the same as my coach setup...

Interesting. Got a link? I could use something like that in the 'ol Dodge. no link, I found this guy on Craigslist, box just says Xenon HID, I can PM you his phone number though.. nice kid..

BTW, I thought HID was standard on the Audi, Benz, and Merc ?? my Audi is a 99.5 and the factory low beams are just scary poor.. the new C300 Benz Sport had Halogens as did the new X3, the new 328I has Xenon's..... for the $80 a kit I spent these are every bit as good as the factory Xenons in the new 328I and the 335I cars that are in the driveway...

Ed Donnelly
04-19-2009, 10:08 PM
Can you PM me his # too?............Ed

CHACHI
04-20-2009, 05:52 AM
Jim, I am also interested, could you please PM me his number also.

Thanks,

Ken

mrfixxall
04-20-2009, 09:17 AM
6k 8k 12k ? looks like you got the 6k's jim did they come with a relay to hard wire to the battery? ive been finding on the gm's the rt side headlamp wont come on somtimes and need to be hardwired wirh a relay..some cars with the automatic power down (if the lights are left) on feature (mostly dodge) they wont work! they will come on for a few moments and shut off

Jim is rite their unbelieveable,all the reflectors on the highway are lit up for about a 1/2 mile..their like driving in daylight!!!!:)

BUIZILLA
04-20-2009, 09:34 AM

funny you mention that about the right side won't stay on..... :nilly:

fegettes
04-20-2009, 11:44 AM
I found these HID kits on Craigslist, called the local guy this morning and he delivered to my house within an hour

Jim,

About a year ago, when I was still down in Homestead, I bought a set of headlamps for my Tahoe off of miamicraigslist from a guy called Ismael and like you, he was quick to deliver. They did not fit, and we spent about six months trying to make a connection for him to either replace them with another set, let him install them like he said they would, or get a refund. Because of a multiple of excuses he was not able to meet when I could, and never did get the issue resolved.

Steve

BUIZILLA
04-20-2009, 11:46 AM
this guy is Mike.... red Miata? anyways, so far he has been on the ball... so far anyway... he's never taken more than 15 minutes to return any call so far, and he's coming here in a few minutes to confirm on the coach stuff and help with the right side deal on my truck...

mrfixxall
04-20-2009, 12:33 PM

funny you mention that about the right side won't stay on..... :nilly:

Its because the wire is farther from the light switch then the dr side,dont ask me whe but i think it has to do with the amount of currant that goes through the wire at the ballast..this is what i do to all of the hid now..

ok some people dont know how to wire a relay so here it goes!!

Bosch relays only!! others are crap..

take the factory wire where the pplug goes into the harness,cut the wire on the ballast side + and not the factory plug.that wire goes to terminal 87, the wire that goes to the factory plug goes to 85, terminal 30 goes to a fused battery source and 86 goes to ground..

reason for doing this is the + wire gets a direct 12.8 +volts from the battery and the ;ihghts wont flicker..

mrfixxall
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
FYI,,also if your going to install the 9005 kit on your high beams i would suggest to hardwire them to a switch ..When you go from brights to low beams
it takes a whyle for the low beams to brighten up and your in the dark for the first 5 seconds..plus they somtimes just go out and have to cool off before they can restart the ballast..if you run them to a switch its really frickin bright:wink:

i replaced my headlights with thease diamond style headlights which light up as much as the side of the roads as whats in front of you..

BUIZILLA
04-20-2009, 01:50 PM
i'm told I need a relay with capacitor..