PDA

View Full Version : 350 build advice

lee
04-19-2009, 01:33 AM
i have 81 classic 18 and want to make sure i dont deal with anymore boat problems i have been in boating my whole life and have done to much wrenching i have a perfect backup drive for my boat and i also have a sea ray sunsport with 502's and want to make my donzi 1 day away from running great my stroker has had some problems and i want to build a back up engine have a 4 bolt 350 and a set of factory iron heads want to build a bullet proof engine what is the best internal set up for reliability dont want to go crazy want to be around 300-350hp block is going to be 30 over and short block heads are just heads striped down what should i use dont want to spendmore than $1500-2g is my budget oil pan to valve covers which i have need carb thinking holley ,intake, valves ,roller lifters and cam,roller rockers,cam,oil pump please if you give me advice can you give me the manufacter and part number sugested there are just too many smart guys out here for me to just buy a bunch of parts and hope got smart friends might as well use them thanks in advance

BigGrizzly
04-19-2009, 09:27 AM
I am sorry to tell you this but the $$$ you stated is not enough. A cam and maybe some rockers, and that is if you are capable and the rest of the engine does not have a problem. And that is just the beginning. If that is all you have to spend. Go with a stock 350 mag type set up. It is obvious that you havn't built anything in a while because of the Dollars you posted. There is a lot of cheap stuff out there, but good and cheap are two different thing.

RedDog
04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
Lee - try using some "periods." They are cheap.

lee
04-19-2009, 11:21 AM
Lee - try using some "periods." They are cheap.is this a boating site or spelling class

BUIZILLA
04-19-2009, 11:31 AM
both... :cool:

fogducker III
04-19-2009, 11:31 AM
is this a boating site or spelling class

I "think" what he is saying is if you are asking for some advice/info, at least take the effort to write something people can understand.............:confused:

lee
04-19-2009, 12:03 PM
I "think" what he is saying is if you are asking for some advice/info, at least take the effort to write something people can understand.............:confused:got it wont be asking for advise again sorry

Just Say N20
04-19-2009, 12:16 PM
got it wont be asking for advise again sorry

I don't understand this reaction. At least not from an adult.

People writing something know what they are trying to say, so generally when they re-read what they have written, their mind automatically fills in missing information, like punctuation, so it makes sense to them.

Other people reading the same thing don't know what the author is trying to say, so they rely on stuff like punctuation to help clarify what is being said.

No one here said anything about not being willing to help, they were saying that in order to be able to provide accurate help, it would be beneficial if a little more care was given to the request, so it could be correctly understood by those ready, willing, and able to provide the information requested.

VetteLT193
04-19-2009, 03:09 PM
i have 81 classic 18 and want to make sure i dont deal with anymore boat problems i have been in boating my whole life and have done to much wrenching i have a perfect backup drive for my boat and i also have a sea ray sunsport with 502's and want to make my donzi 1 day away from running great my stroker has had some problems and i want to build a back up engine have a 4 bolt 350 and a set of factory iron heads want to build a bullet proof engine what is the best internal set up for reliability dont want to go crazy want to be around 300-350hp block is going to be 30 over and short block heads are just heads striped down what should i use dont want to spendmore than $1500-2g is my budget oil pan to valve covers which i have need carb thinking holley ,intake, valves ,roller lifters and cam,roller rockers,cam,oil pump please if you give me advice can you give me the manufacter and part number sugested there are just too many smart guys out here for me to just buy a bunch of parts and hope got smart friends might as well use them thanks in advance

back to the subject at hand...

I agree with Grizz. that money is tight.

If you are already going 30 over, run a 400 crank then do basic components from there. low compression stuff. with that, you'll be at a 383 and be more likely to be within budget (the high end) and the HP range (the low end).

if you really shop, figure a mild 383 @ 300 HP will be 2k with the stuff you already have.