PDA

View Full Version : Tsat housing

KerrLake
04-18-2009, 08:07 PM
"Are you running the Tstat housing that has the nylon balls on the spring shaft? They can cause the difference in flow and do restrict flow, if so get rid of if it for a by pass type."

Ran across this in another post. What happens if you take the balls and shaft out? I looking at this very thing the other day thinking it must restrict flow.

jimishooch
04-19-2009, 05:45 PM
i'm looking for an answer as well............

techspecial
04-20-2009, 06:47 PM
Boy did I go through it with this!!! I don't know how to do it but search my threads. I was overheating RAPIDLY at low RPM. Tried everything...Leak check...New Alpha pump...New circ pump...Manifold and riser inspection...New thermostat...Went to my local mechanic and he said "It's your balls" After a very long blank stare he explained to me that the ball checks are essential. They divert all of the cooling water to the engine because the manifolds don't need it at putt-putt. He replaced my springs for $10.00 including labor and I was good to go. He said that with low pressure/flow ALL of the water will blow through the manifolds without a good strong set of balls.

MOP
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
He was 100% correct about your balls!

But when that housing finally goes bad replace with the type with the bypass port and leave your worries behind about flow, the ball type have always been a pain as an old boat mech I was glad to see them go! So when your balls finally let you down swap to this: http://shop.sailnet.com/product_info.php/products_id/15917

Phil