PDA

View Full Version : It's running again...

VetteLT193
04-16-2009, 08:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2pNTpX4iR0

BUIZILLA
04-16-2009, 08:08 PM
that's not a lot of water...

gcarter
04-16-2009, 08:13 PM
Maybe it's only a 5/8" hose.

VetteLT193
04-16-2009, 08:13 PM

It's always been like that... actually, it was worse before. I thought I was doing good.

JustMercMe
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Sounds good!, Water looks normal to me....:yes:

RedDog
04-16-2009, 09:26 PM
Maybe it's only a 5/8" hose.

Does it have Silent Choice - if so, some of the water trickles down to the prop

VetteLT193
04-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Does it have Silent Choice - if so, some of the water trickles down to the prop

nope, EMI long tails. The water dumps into the pipes only a few inches from the transom.

mrfixxall
04-16-2009, 09:42 PM
nope, EMI long tails. The water dumps into the pipes only a few inches from the transom.

so what was the problem with the water issue?

VetteLT193
04-16-2009, 09:57 PM
so what was the problem with the water issue?

I think I need a positive pressure on the nose cone. I took the line that runs from the nose cone to the water pump off, dunked that in water, life is good

I don't think the Alpha has enough suction to fill up the cavity of the nose cone unless it's under water or running with pressure on it.

VetteLT193
04-16-2009, 09:58 PM
here is another close up at idle... It is on a huge hill right now, with the left side being significantly higher than the right so that probably explains the flow difference. I'll try it again after I adjust it to a level spot like normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSRFNpxVfQU

BUIZILLA
04-17-2009, 06:16 AM
AFAIAC....

you still have an issue...

VetteLT193
04-17-2009, 06:46 AM
IFAIAC....

you still have an issue...

Thanks, that's why I posted the vids... wanted opinions. Another break-down is needed.

I need to hook up the water pressure gauge too, need to find a spot for that. Then I can be sure.

The Hedgehog
04-17-2009, 07:43 AM
Positive pressure at the cone will make a pretty big difference in water pressure all around.

You definately need to pay attention to this one though.

Pismo
04-17-2009, 07:44 AM
Thanks, that's why I posted the vids... wanted opinions. Another break-down is needed.
I need to hook up the water pressure gauge too, need to find a spot for that. Then I can be sure.

Good water pressure does not automatically mean good water flow. For example if a system had an outlet obstruction you would have nice high water pressure and low flow so overheating. You need flow not necessarily pressure.

VetteLT193
04-17-2009, 08:24 AM
Good water pressure does not automatically mean good water flow. For example if a system had an outlet obstruction you would have nice high water pressure and low flow so overheating. You need flow not necessarily pressure.

I hear you, but at least from inside the boat I can monitor it and see what is going on to an extent Vs. not knowing anything.

Cuda
04-17-2009, 08:26 AM
It will never push pressure past the impeller. Every Alpha I've owned has had weak water stream at idle, and there isn't an overabundance of wp when running hard. They seem to steam more out of one bank (I forget which side) than the other. As long as there is any positive pressure, it will never pump more water than it already is. Get that flush unit from Bob's, and you will know for sure. I'd have given you the one I used on it, but it was so old, it had just rotted.

VetteLT193
04-17-2009, 08:27 AM
I think I'll put it back on the hose again today after work and run it @ 1000 RPM and see the flow. It always pumped better right around 1000 than it did at anything less than that.

I really want to make sure everything is right.

BUIZILLA
04-17-2009, 08:28 AM
last time I was at West Marine, they had the nose cone flushers... you need a Bob's cone for upper nostrils not the black cone for lower front nose pickup, Lenny can post a pic of the correct needed cone if your 2 nostrils are just above the leading edge of the drive...

also, using the cone gives you a false sense of security since it is pressurized to an extent, with the drive in the water dockside you rely strictly on suction, i've had my SS actually lose water volume during a long reverse procedure.... you will also have noticeably less volume with the SS because you draw from 2 small nostrils vs multi hull side drive feeds...

VetteLT193
04-17-2009, 08:43 AM
last time I was at West Marine, they had the nose cone flushers... you need a Bob's cone for upper nostrils not the black cone for lower front nose pickup, Lenny can post a pic of the correct needed cone if your 2 nostrils are just above the leading edge of the drive...

also, using the cone gives you a false sense of security since it is pressurized to an extent, with the drive in the water dockside you rely strictly on suction, i've had my SS actually lose water volume during a long reverse procedure.... you will also have noticeably less volume with the SS because you draw from 2 small nostrils vs multi hull side drive feeds...

It has 4 holes in the very front of the cone, just below the tip of the cone. I can see exactly what you mean by the suction because it's a long and difficult path from those 4 holes to the impeller.

I'll check west this weekend. Boaters world didn't have it up here, but they never have anything I need.

BUIZILLA
04-17-2009, 08:55 AM
my flusher was a lower entry cone.... kinda hard to find, Bob's sells the side entry for his nose cones..... I like the lower entry design better and mine hugged the case better to feed the upper nostrils, the black cone on an SS covers the upper nostrils starving it for water... this black one may work fine for you...

Bob's Machine Shop Boating Marine Performance Products and Boating Accessories,Outboard Jack Plates,Outboard jackplates, Hydr... (http://www.bobsmachine.com/)

MOP
04-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Are you running the Tstat housing that has the nylon balls on the spring shaft? They can cause the difference in flow and do restrict flow, if so get rid of if it for a by pass type. Keep an ey on your tails, the Alpha does not supply enough water to keep them full at low speeds. A few guys up here have had the lower dump holes welded shut ti help with the problem. You can burn the paint on the hatch idling for long periods. If you need it I have a good by pass Tstat ousing in the garage you are welcomed to for cheap and postage, they run about $50 new.

VetteLT193
04-17-2009, 11:43 AM
I am running a Stainless Marine crossover.

The holes on the EMI's look to be threaded. I'll see if I can put a bolt in the bottom one on each side when I get a chance. The good news is the Minx has a deep engine compartment and the exhaust isn't really near anything... The Trident hose you suggested I use makes me feel better too.

MOP
04-17-2009, 12:34 PM
Time to quit working and to go and have some fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

donzi2287
04-17-2009, 01:13 PM
I don't know why it sounds so much like a big block. It's a good thing!!!:biggrin:

Cuda
04-17-2009, 10:18 PM
That picture of the flush unit on Bob's site, is the exact same one that was on that drive. If I'm not mistaken, the nose cone that was expoxied on there, only had the lower intakes. I never had a problem running on the hose, that I didn't have running it in the river. I've had several Alpha drives, and have run with a bunch of other Alpha drives, and I've come to the conclusion they just don't pump a whole lot of water, but they WILL pump enough that the enigne will never overheat due to lack of water. They may steam from that one bank in particular, but if your engine overheats, I doubt it's due to not having enough water, but they surely don't have TOO much. :)

BUIZILLA
04-18-2009, 09:39 AM
Buiz, I thought I ordered in the Merc flusher for yours? you only got me the one for the BIII with the securing pin thru the middle...

VetteLT193
04-18-2009, 08:11 PM
1 more try at 1000 RPM.

West by me had no low water flush kits... gotta order the Bob's one, which I keep putting off for some reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoanVKfSt6A