PDA

View Full Version : E-Z Oil Drain Kit

RedDog
01-06-2004, 02:55 PM
Does anyone have experience / knowledge about the use of an oil drain kit like this - http://www.cpperformance.com/detail.asp?product_id=620-242179

Doesn't the new Merc 496 come standard with a similar drain?

Is this worthwhile or should I save my time and money and continue to just pump out the dipstick?

Thanks

mikev
01-06-2004, 03:09 PM
good idea my problem isnt drainning the oil it is the mess changing the oil filter.

MOP
01-06-2004, 03:25 PM
If you have the typical Merc or OMC dip stick with the garden hose fitting and use that style pump you will not gain anything. But if you are sucking through the trim tab sized tube that kit is much better, some guys depending on room snake the hose out the transom drain which is real sweet.

mjpcowboy
01-06-2004, 04:40 PM
Knock a few holes in filter to allow oil to drain out several minutes before you remove it. Very little oil to deal with after it drains down.

Sam
01-06-2004, 04:48 PM
I have one and love it, let it drain over night and you get all the crap out.

Sam
:D

Barry Phillips
01-06-2004, 05:27 PM
I have the drain kit on my 496, but it’s tight along side the motor so it can be a pain to snake it out the drain hole. I still use my electric pump and pump it out through the dipstick into 5-gallon can, which sits along side the motor. As per the oil filter, I just crack it lose, but I don't take it off, this releases the vacuum and allows the oil in the filter to drain back into the oil pan as I am pumping. I never have mess on less the hose slips out of the can, so it’s a good idea to secure it. One note the line supplied with the pump was to short so I rigged a longer one.

SO-SLO

Tidbart
01-06-2004, 06:57 PM
Scott,
Get ahold of some of these. I use the white ones all the time. Not sure if this is manufacturer of the ones I have.
Your bilge will never see another drop of oil.
:D
Bob
Oil absorbant pads (http://hippoindustries.com/absorbents.html)

BLACKIE
01-06-2004, 08:09 PM
:confused: Hey RedDog, would one of those oil drain kits work on Nervous Energy????? I can't remember if you told me if there is a drain plug on the engine or not.

Blackie

Ranman
01-06-2004, 09:21 PM
A friend of mine has an old Tiara with twin 350 Volvos. The drain plugs are so hard to get at so he set up a pretty slick oil change deal while he had the engines out.

HE used Aeroquip hoses from the pans to an electric pump. All he'd have to do is put the discharge hose from the pump in a bucket and mash a button to get the oil out.

I still use the garden hose sucker. BTW, has anyone figured out how much is left behind on average using the garden hose sucker? I think it's upwards of 1/4 to 1/2 quart. Change it often.

RedDog
01-06-2004, 09:27 PM
Blackie - with the tight clearances due to the big block, to either install this type of drain or to back out a drain plug you would first have to pull the engine - or find some mechanically trained chipmunks.

To remove your oil get one of the pumps (hand or drill powered) that connects to the male hose pipe thread on the dipstick - warm it up first to make the pumping easier

RedDog
01-06-2004, 10:07 PM
MadPoodle:
Or, do like RedDog, sell it when it needs an oil change :D :D :D
you insult me - I only drove her to church on Sundays so she wasn't due for a change yet :p

Barry Phillips
01-07-2004, 11:30 AM
My little oil pump cost $29 at West Marine and sucks like crazy. With the longer tube it's takes more time to prime, but once it dose it works great. Just don't let the tube slip out, I found out the hard way. Again just crack the inverted filter lose and open the oil fill and the oil will drain out of the filter, keep a shop towel under it as you take it off, no mess.

SO-SLO

HyperDonzi
01-07-2004, 06:56 PM
I have to reccoment "Kimberly" to you.

There is a story around the name also.... Blue air pressure pump, sucks 5qt out it about 20 seconds. Air powered.

As for the name... The local shop named it after a prostitute (Kimberly) who often visited there. If anyones interested, Ill post the guys name and number.

RedDog
01-07-2004, 08:02 PM
wouldn't need the guy's number, but do you have Kimberly's?

HyperDonzi
01-07-2004, 08:03 PM
I dont have her number, she just disappeared one day.