PDA

View Full Version : Airdock Boat Lift?? Comments please

FISHIN SUCKS
04-15-2009, 10:35 PM
I am considering buying one of these things, does anyone have any comments....good, bad, or indifferent? This would be for our 28zx and the things that are attractive about it are: any depth water, air pump can run from boat battery, price. We had a traditional type lift (midwestern standards, a Hewitt) that we had Little problems with on our old Blackwidow, but to buy the right size lift like that for this boat is almost $18k, not an option. Thanx in advance for your input,

tom

VetteLT193
04-15-2009, 10:41 PM
they get heavy when crap grows on them and don't work as well. I assume it's not as bad in fresh as in salt.

They are harsh on the hull in my opinion but fine for gelcoat on a non-show boat.

in the end the boat is out of the water and you have convenience so it's all good. save the dough to fill up the boat's tank and go for it. just clean the crap out of it every once in a while.

The Hedgehog
04-16-2009, 08:57 AM
I dunno but I bought an 8,800 lb Hyrdohoist for around 1/2 that price and an very happy with it. I did have one problem with a tank leaking. It was a 4 year old tank and had been moved 3x. Hydrohoist came out and installed a new tank for free.

zelatore
04-16-2009, 09:58 AM
I haven't had an airdock personally, but I've had a couple in the marinas I've worked at. I was just never comfortable with them having no structure. I saw one guy nearly loose a boat because he wasn't centered correctly on the pillows and it got pretty shaky on him. I've also seen more of these things with a dead pillow (and thus a badly listing boat) than I've seen bad hydrohoist or other's with bad tanks.

I think we have 4 hydrohoists currently (some may be generic versions) and we've had a couple hose-to-tank fittings start to leak on one of the older ones in salt water. Due to all the rust it wasn't going to be easy to change them, so we just sealed them up with 5200. That jury-rigged fix has held up for about 3 years now.

Just my 2 cents - I'd go with something ridged unless you don't have the water depth.

FISHIN SUCKS
04-16-2009, 11:08 PM
Thank you everyone for your responses. The Hydro hoist may require more depth than I have available at my dock. Keep comments comin if ya got'em. thanx again,

tom