PDA

View Full Version : Pol - always interesting how news is reported

Ghost
04-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I was down in Lafayette Park today for 3 hours or so, across from the White House, in a cold, windy rain, with about 3000 people. Pretty tame for political protests. Lots of irritated people, sure, but not the sorts who tip cars over mob-fashion. Lots of good signs. "Legalize Capitalism" struck me, among others.

But at one point we were all quickly ushered out of the park. Lots of suspicious grumbling from the crowd (there was an unexplained change of venue earlier in the day--that didn't help much). But no unruly behavior. I went up to the two guys with megaphones who were griping about their rights after being pushed out of the park, and suggested they take a different tone (aka, find out what is going on before griping. Security details have protocols they must follow, and time may be needed to sort something out. Several others joined me after I did this, and it at least stopped the stupid use of the megaphone at that point.)

Some snide comments were directed at the police, not a whole lot. I made a point of chatting a few of them up, being friendly, and letting them know I disagreed with the few who'd made obnoxious comments to them, and thanked them for serving as police. Most seemed like good guys. A couple seemed like jerks. The big mistake was communication. All the police needed to do was say there was a security issue, and it was vital to clear the park, and they'd keep us posted to get us back in ASAP. This would have disarmed most of the suspicion and ill will on both sides.

A few minutes after being ushered to the sidewalks out of the park, word got out that "something" had been thrown on the White House lawn. Maybe half an hour later we were re-admitted to the park, and we got an announcement that it was some sort of package, a Secret Service robot had been called out to deal with it, and that no one knew the contents.

Now on to the fun part. I listened VERY closely, and by the time we were rushed out for the incident, the 3000+ who were there had whittled down to less than half of that or fewer. And nobody seemed to have seen the incident at all. There were a few people who appeared to be plants, designed as disruptors, throughout the day. Maybe 3 or 4 that I saw. And people seemed to understand not to engage them, which was what I think they wanted, to no avail.

So, the big question was, who threw the package? I made some rounds and nobody seemed to even know anything, and people all over were pissed that it had happened. Nobody saw it, and even if it was one of the protesters, the protesting crowd was NOT happy about it.

Also interesting was the low profile on any press that were about. Nobody was making himself very known as being press. There were some folks there I believe were, mostly still cameras, one videocam, but they were lying pretty low.

Well, low and behold, when I got home and googled it, we have the answer. Despite nobody who was there seeming to know who had thrown the package (or even seeing it happen, including all the police lined up along the White House fence), and what I would call universal condemnation by the crowd, somehow the AP magically figured it out. Furthermore, the park where the real crowd gathered was all the way across WIDE Pennsylvania Avenue from the White House lawn, plus at least 75 feet of park, so it would not have come from the main group even if it was from real protesters. It would have been from a group of 30 or fewer across the street. But the AP somehow knows.

Protesters throw apparent tea bags at White House
2 hours ago
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Secret Service says a suspicious package thrown over the fence and onto the White House's North Lawn was not dangerous.
Tax protesters threw what appeared to be a box of tea bags toward the White House on Wednesday, prompting officials to lockdown the compound. The Secret Service also used a robot to inspect the package thrown in an apparent act of defiance meant to echo the rebellion of the Boston Tea Party.
Demonstrators said they disapproved of government spending since President Barack Obama took office. They organized protests across the country, including outside the White House.

One other thing. I listened all day, and demonstrators complained mostly about government spending, Republican and Democrat alike, as well as both parties trampling the Constitution. A very few seemed focused on Obama, per se. Yet another creation of the AP bit. Not surprising, but worth noting in my opinion.

I never saw a tea bag all day. I did hear one person say she'd seen exactly one, in a puddle, and there were people with cameras taking pictures of it. The implication being it was perhaps a plant. Apparently there had been some boxes of tea bags that were supposed to get there, but they had been interdicted. Like I say, I never saw a single one all day. Curious if I see a prominent picture of one show up, but who knows.

HOWARD O
04-15-2009, 07:13 PM
I've been to a couple political rallies many years ago, but today was my 1st rally/protest! I even made up a pretty ghetto looking sign out of the pizza boxes from last night's supper!

Good turnout for our small town. It was good to see younger, high school aged kids there too and the speakers did a great job.

This won't be my last one...... :shades:

RedDog
04-16-2009, 08:14 AM
I went to the one in Knoxville - 2000+ people. Pretty good for a smallish city. The same here - the message was primarily on excess spending and a trampling of rights. There were exceptions - which the the media focused on (anti-Obama and taxes)

zelatore
04-16-2009, 10:50 AM
The reporting is interesting.

I would imagine anyone who thinks about reporters and the media very much knows or at least suspects what you stated to be true - that they always try to sensationalize whatever they are reporting on.

Case in point:
A small commuter flight from Ft. Wayne, IN to Chicago is hit by lightning en-route and makes an emergency landing. The strike causes a loud BANG, a little smoke from the overhead wiring, and the oxygen masks to deploy, but no actual problems for the plane's flight. The landing is done as a precaution and the only real issue is that the passengers don't get to Chicago on time.

The media is there to cover it and interview passengers upon upon deplaning. All but one passenger are fairly non pulsed over the event. One is panicked and needs a gurney and oxygen upon leaving the plane, while telling a harrowing story about imminent death and thoughts of their loved ones.

I'll give you one guess which passenger was interviewed for the local news.

The real problem as I see it is that even if you know reporting is prone to exaggerations, you don't really know what direction or magnitude those exaggerations take. You can only guess. So unless you were there, it's very difficult to truly know what happened - you have to rely on these 3rd-party reports. And sometimes even if you are there you may not have a full understanding of the big picture.

Additionally, it's just plain hard work to constantly be skeptical of what you hear and see. It's just so much easier to relax and believe.

Here's another example:
How often have you heard/saw a report that covered some topic where you personally were knowledgeable?. Perhaps a local talking head on TV was discussing something related to boating or your particular profession, and they just plain made a stupid mistake. You caught it because you are knowledgeable about that particular topic, but you know the general public won't see the error because they don't know any better. The talking head (who doesn't have a high degree of knowledge about the topic) simply reads the script with authority and looks like they know exactly what they are speaking about (that is what they get paid for, really, looking trustworthy and knowledgeable whether they are or not).

Does this not make you sit back and think 'hmmmm....if they made a stupid mistake on this topic that I caught because I know better, how many mistakes to they make on topics where I am not expert?

Few if any of us are political or economic experts yet we all see and hear these media outlets tell us exactly what happened or what the outcome of X decision will be. And to be honest, most of us simply believe the reporting that most closely aligns with what we already think.

Ghost
04-16-2009, 11:01 AM
How often have you heard/saw a report that covered some topic where you personally were knowledgeable?.

You stole my thunder. I have NEVER seen one gotten right. Never.

zelatore
04-16-2009, 09:58 PM
To give them the benefit of the doubt, occasionally I suppose the errors are really made more by way of over-simplifying a given topic to fit a 3 minute news segment. They may feel they don't have the time, or the public may not have the patience, to give the background needed to fully understand an issue.

But more often than not I just assume they are simply reading what's put in front of them. At least on 'lowbrow' topics such as I am familiar with.

zelatore
04-17-2009, 09:56 AM
If it bleeds, it leads :nilly: :nilly:

yup.

But let's face it, aren't we all guilty of propagating this type of reporting?

Be honest with yourself, don't you tune in when there's some big disaster? Even if it's just a local item? They know it of course, and therefor try to sensationalize every little thing.

MOP
04-17-2009, 01:01 PM
Something I have alway dreamed of was a GOOD new channel, why is it there is extremely little good news reported. It would be nice to come home and be up lifted instead of beaten down with more worries. I watch a lot of news channels, I figure it is the only way to try to get the full picture. A few are pretty spot on but most misconstrue the facts so badly it is sickening, even our president has called for fair news reporting although I think a little more in the parties favor!

Ghost
04-17-2009, 02:39 PM
yup.

But let's face it, aren't we all guilty of propagating this type of reporting?

Be honest with yourself, don't you tune in when there's some big disaster? Even if it's just a local item? They know it of course, and therefor try to sensationalize every little thing.

Agreed. Any of them willl do anything for ratings. If some crazed person thought you could get ratings by having the lead singer of Poison make bimbos jump through hoops for a date, they'd even try to make a show about that. <blink...blink>

Something I have alway dreamed of was a GOOD new channel, why is it there is extremely little good news reported...

Agreed, I know what you mean. (Though, it also makes me think back to when SNL has tinkered with this, like one about some extremely rare and cute endangered baby Emu or something born at a local zoo. Ending in: "One humorous note, the bird was stepped on and crushed by Bubbles, the first baby Elephant born in captivity 3 weeks ago." :) )