PDA

View Full Version : POL. My government thinks I'm a threat!!!!!

gcarter
04-15-2009, 04:30 PM
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/16/napolitano-stands-rightwing-extremism/

http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/logo_print.gif (http://www.washingtontimes.com/) http://media.washingtontimes.com/media/img/close_icon.gif (javascript:window.close();)http://media.washingtontimes.com/media//img/print_icon.gif (javascript:print();)

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Napolitano stands by 'extremism' report

Audrey Hudson (http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/audrey-hudson/) (Contact (http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/audrey-hudson/contact)) and Eli Lake (http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/eli-lake/) (Contact (http://www.washingtontimes.com/staff/eli-lake/contact))

Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said she was briefed before the release of a controversial intelligence assessment and that she stands by the report sent to law enforcement that lists veterans as a terrorist risk to the U.S. and defines "rightwing extremism" as including groups opposed to abortion and immigration.
The outcry resulted in a demand from the head of the American Legion to meet with Ms. Napolitano, a request the DHS chief said she would honor next week when she returns to Washington from her current tour of the U.S.-Mexican border.
"The document on right-wing extremism sent last week by this department´s Office of Intelligence and Analysis is one in an ongoing series of assessments to provide situational awareness to state, local and tribal law enforcement agencies on the phenomenon and trends of violent radicalization in the United States," Ms. Napolitano said in a statement.
• Click here to download a PDF of the report.
"I was briefed on the general topic, which is one that struck a nerve as someone personally involved in the Timothy McVeigh prosecution," Ms. Napolitano said.
"Let me be very clear: we monitor the risks of violent extremism taking root here in the United States. We don´t have the luxury of focusing our efforts on one group; we must protect the country from terrorism whether foreign or homegrown, and regardless of the ideology that motivates its violence," Ms. Napolitano said.
• Related article: Legion objects to vets as terror risk
"We are on the lookout for criminal and terrorist activity but we do not — nor will we ever — monitor ideology or political beliefs. We take seriously our responsibility to protect the civil rights and liberties of the American people, including subjecting our activities to rigorous oversight from numerous internal and external sources," Ms. Napolitano said.
The nine-page document titled "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," has caused an outcry from veterans groups, Republican lawmakers and conservative activists.
"Rightwing extremism," the report defines in a footnote on Page 2, goes beyond religious and racial hate groups and extends to "those that are mainly antigovernment, rejecting federal authority in favor of state or local authority, or rejecting government authority entirely."
"It may include groups and individuals that are dedicated to a single issue, such as opposition to abortion or immigration," said the report, which also listed as suspect gun owners and veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars.
The American Legion on Tuesday criticized the report as unfairly stereotyping veterans.
"I am aware of the letter from American Legion National Commander (David) Rehbein, and my staff has already contacted him to set up a meeting next week once I return from travel. I will tell him face-to-face that we honor veterans at DHS and employ thousands across the department, up to and including the Deputy Secretary," Ms. Napolitano said.
"As the department responsible for protecting the homeland, DHS will continue to work with its state and local partners to prevent and protect against the potential threat to the United States associated with any rise in violent extremist activity," Ms. Napolitano said.

@import url('http://s3.amazonaws.com/getsatisfaction.com/feedback/feedback.css');FEEDBACK (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/apr/16/napolitano-stands-rightwing-extremism/print/#)

olredalert
04-15-2009, 06:31 PM
-----George,,,This (amongst all the other garbage we are hearing these days) is the most disturbing of all. Oh yah, this administration is there for us. They have our back......NOT!!! I am petrified about the coming years.........Bill S

DonziJon
04-15-2009, 07:22 PM
NEGATIVITY on this board will NOT be tolerated. We HAVE PEOPLE here who will Council The Offenders. :yes: :yes: John ...(Totally Right Wing Extremist Hiding Behind his Military Service.)

DonziJon
04-15-2009, 07:32 PM
In case your bored and want to read the 142 page report...

NOPE: Can't Do It. I have Dial Up. :angel: John

roadtrip se
04-15-2009, 08:28 PM
You guys should read it.

It is ten pages, so even the ignorant can download it and skim over it.

Last time I checked, Timothy Mcveigh was a veteran and he blew up a lot of people. I was in Oklahoma City the day he did.
We felt and heard the blast from ten miles away. Are there more impacted veterans out there like him? God, I hope not,
but maybe there are.

Last time I checked, there are groups out there who do go radical on abortion and immigration issues.

Do I agree with all of the content? No. Is most of it relevant? Yep. Over-hyped? Very much.

Does this have any business on a boat hobby site? No, not really.

gcarter
04-15-2009, 08:52 PM
OK Todd, I read the report.
It's all about perceived noise that even the government says is nothing more than rhetorical, yet they call it "trends of violent radicallization".

This new "open" and "caring" administration has to have been monitoring my emails and phone calls.

I guess I'll have to be watching out for suspicious helicopters here in Central Florida. All of us retirement age white Conservatives just have to be a threat.

Why haven't we seen threatening papers like this about Green Weenies that spike trees that kill lumberjacks, or those that burn down truck dealerships?
Isn't that where all the action is?

roadtrip se
04-15-2009, 08:58 PM
Nothing new here, that our lovely Government hasn't been watching for years, including under the Bush and Clinton administrations.

New stuff? Black President. People worried about their gun rights.

Everything else is old news...

Maybe I should stuff some ammo in the front of the 22... just in case.

gcarter
04-15-2009, 09:06 PM
I guess the media is really enjoying the release of this.

Just imagine if Bob Barr had won (yeah, just imagine that!), and there was a lot of grumbling on the Left.......
Do ya think there would have been the HYPE this has received in the news?

ChromeGorilla
04-15-2009, 09:14 PM
To sum it up, it's only a poorly veiled threat against conservatives as well as an insult to vets.... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Just Say N20
04-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Last time I checked, Timothy Mcveigh was a veteran and he blew up a lot of people. I was in Oklahoma City the day he did. We felt and heard the blast from ten miles away. Are there more impacted veterans out there like him? God, I hope not, but maybe there are.

Statistically, I wonder how that works out. Take the number of veterans in the USA, and then divide that number into the number of Veterans who have blown up a Federal Building (or anything else for that matter). I don't think my computer has that many zeros to the right of the decimal point.

It is horrific that he did what he did, but to make the conclusion that this is something we should be worried about on a national security level? I don't think this is the gist of what they are concerned about about. It is a smoke screen using an example that is so over the top that "no one in their right mind" would argue the point.

Did I mention that I visited Parnell today, and saw that AWESOME 16 he has done? That boat is spectacular! A mechanical work of art.

roadtrip se
04-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I guess the media is really enjoying the release of this.

Just imagine if Bob Barr had won (yeah, just imagine that!), and there was a lot of grumbling on the Left.......
Do ya think there would have been the HYPE this has received in the news?

Nope... Are you really surprised? It isn't newsworthy to begin with...

Rootsy
04-16-2009, 09:36 AM
Nothing new here, that our lovely Government hasn't been watching for years, including under the Bush and Clinton administrations.
New stuff? Black President. People worried about their gun rights.
Everything else is old news...
Maybe I should stuff some ammo in the front of the 22... just in case.

Nah... It won't plane well... You can give it to me and I'll make sure to keep the powder dry....

roadtrip se
04-16-2009, 11:04 AM
Nah... It won't plane well... You can give it to me and I'll make sure to keep the powder dry....

It's that fuse that I'm worried about...:cool!:

Rootsy
04-16-2009, 03:30 PM
It's that fuse that I'm worried about...:cool!:

Get rid of the cannon balls and get into the present... sheesh.. mercury fulminate was a wonderful invention...

gcarter
05-14-2009, 02:28 PM
But I'm not convinced they're coinvinced!

Washington Times - DHS Report Citing Extremism is Pulled[/URL] [URL="http://www.aclj.org/ActionCenter/ForwardToFriends.aspx?t=7352856F-DC8C-4805-8FFF-DE7FA4CA9989&r=3317"] (http://www.aclj.org/News/Read.aspx?ID=3317&email=gcarter763@aol.com&guid=149CA36F-1756-4B87-9DAF-5DD80F742815#) May 14, 2009
by Audrey Hudson, Washington Times
A contentious "Rightwing Extremism" report that warned of military veterans as possible recruits for terrorist attacks against the U.S. was not authorized, has been withdrawn and is being rewritten, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano told Capitol Hill lawmakers.
"The wheels came off the wagon because the vetting process was not followed," Ms. Napolitano told the House Homeland Security Committee on Wednesday.
"The report is no longer out there," she said. "An employee sent it out without authorization."
The report was shared with state and local law enforcement officials nationwide via the department's internal Web site on April 7, angering Republican lawmakers and military veterans who said it unfairly stereotyped veterans.
Ms. Napolitano did not say when the report was taken off the "intel Web site" and all Homeland Security Department Web sites, but she said it is in the process of being "replaced or redone in a much more useful and much more precise fashion."
Rep. Christopher Carney, Pennsylvania Democrat, said that as a veteran he "took offense personally," and his constituents were offended by the report as well.
"It really hit home hard to me and in our district," Mr. Carney said. "It's not a good start when I go to town hall meetings and I hear people calling for your resignation."
Ms. Napolitano said the report titled "Rightwing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment," is not the only report she has seen that says veterans are targets for recruitment by racist and other hate groups.
"It was an assessment, not an accusation," Ms. Napolitano said.
"It didn't say that," Mr. Carney interrupted.
"That's right," Ms. Napolitano responded. "That is why it should not have gone out."
Asked whether the person who wrote the report is still employed, Ms. Napolitano said, "Appropriate personnel action is being taken."
Rep. Peter T. King, the ranking Republican on the committee, said the report "made an impression" in his New York district as well.
"I don't think it reflects well on the department, and I know you want to address it," Mr. King said.
David K. Rehbein, commander of the American Legion, said the withdrawal of the report "validates our objections."
"It did not contain any evidence," Mr. Rehbein said. "It was an unfair and unsubstantiated stereotype based on Timothy McVeigh."
The report also said "rightwing extremism" may include groups opposed to abortion and immigration, among several other threat assessments.
In March, the department issued and recalled within hours, a lexicon of key terms and phrases used by Homeland Security analysts "that addresses the nature and scope of the threat that domestic, non-Islamic extremism poses to the United States."
Whites and blacks, Christians and Jews, Cubans and Mexicans, along with tax objectors, were among several political leanings listed in the "Domestic Extremism Lexicon." Both reports were prepared by the department's Office of Intelligence and Analysis.
"Some things in my initial days have gone very well at the department, some things have not. And that was probably the worst thing," Ms. Napolitano told the House Appropriations subcommittee on homeland security on Tuesday.
"It was not authorized to be distributed. It had not even completed its vetting process within the department. It has been taken off of the intel Web sites and the lexicon that went along with it was similarly withdrawn," she said.
"Neither were authorized products, and we have now put in place processes. And it turned out there were really no procedures to govern what went out and what didn't before, and now there are. I do not want to see a replication of that," Ms. Napolitano said.

DonziJon
05-14-2009, 03:30 PM
DAM those incompetent employees: :bonk: :bonk: AGAIN

Our readers should be reminded that Ms. Napolitano is under consideration to be the next Supreme Court Justice. :yes: JOHN

HOWARD O
05-14-2009, 06:16 PM
Does this have any business on a boat hobby site? No, not really.

And yet one continues on to make four posts in the "offending" thread! :hyper:

Sorry, just couldn't help the observation. :lookaroun:

DonziJon
05-14-2009, 06:42 PM
I felt GUILTY Too so I deleted MY offensive post in the spirit of AOTH as well. :) Hope the SUN comes out soon. John

chappy
05-15-2009, 10:05 AM
Chappy, I posted the same thing yesterday, but then deleted it in the spirit of the AOTH.
Tripper will respond in time, it probably won't take him a month, but it will take a few days to stop having fun on the water.
Howard, I thought you were going to the AOTH?

Agreed. I will delete my post in the spirit of AOTH.

Thanks Boxy.

HOWARD O
05-15-2009, 10:39 AM
Howard, I thought you were going to the AOTH?

I wish! I'm hardly ready for anything like that. Boat not ready, need a new trailer for any extended journeys, need some dinero, need some time. etc. etc.

I am going to make next year a definite goal though. :yes:

boxy
05-15-2009, 10:57 AM
I wish! I'm hardly ready for anything like that. Boat not ready, need a new trailer for any extended journeys, need some dinero, need some time. etc. etc.
I am going to make next year a definite goal though. :yes:

Given the single lane hill filled journey, I think the trailer would be number one on the list for the AOTH. It would suck to get stuck in rural KY with a busted trailer.... :)

Lenny
05-15-2009, 12:57 PM
It would suck to get stuck in rural KY with a busted trailer.... :)

Quite literally too I might add :eek:

Ghost
05-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Given the single lane hill filled journey, I think the trailer would be number one on the list for the AOTH. It would suck to get stuck in rural KY with a busted trailer.... :)

FishinSucks might second that...