PDA

View Full Version : George Carter........

Donziweasel
04-14-2009, 07:19 PM
Got the book today. Great recommendation. I am definetly learning alot and will be undertaking the stringer reinforcement myself. Get ready for the calls......:biggrin.:

gcarter
04-14-2009, 07:27 PM
I learned a lot from that book too.
I even bought another since I couldn't find my original that I'd had for over 15 years.
Everyone here should have one.
We'd see a lot of different kind of questions if they did.

Donziweasel
04-14-2009, 07:33 PM
Although I am not using gelcoat on this project, man I learned a bunch of things about it for future projects. Putty's, lamination, epoxy, polyester, polyurethane paint, etc.... Great stuff! Pretty much all I need to know and then some. Thanks again for the recommendation.:biggrin.:

Wonder if Carl has a copy of this........if he doesn't, he should, as he is gonna need it.....

Just Say N20
04-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Which reminds me, my copy should be here by now. I will have to check into that.

I'm anxious to be less dumber about fiberglass stuff. :biggrin:

gero1
04-14-2009, 09:04 PM
:shocking::shocking::shocking:

rustnrot
04-15-2009, 08:00 AM
For the record (and for me also) please post the name of this book.

Donziweasel
04-15-2009, 09:08 AM
The Fiberglass Boat Repair Manual-

http://www.amazon.com/Fiberglass-Boat-Repair-Manual/dp/0071569146

Covers everything, not just glass. Reason I like it is that is does not go into the molecular structure of resins, or the chemical analysis of how it works. Keeps it simple and in laymans terms. I don't need to know the chemical formula of resin or polyurethane paint, just need to know how to use it, which the book is VERY thourough on.

gcarter
04-15-2009, 11:57 AM
One of the best features of this book is it covers how to build missing or shattered portions of hulls and decks. How to repair large sections of cored hullls and decks. How to straigten and repair racked hulls. How to repair crushed hulls.
All those things you ever wondered how they were done.
Take a look at the cover photo of the before and after shots of some severe damage to the transom of a cruiser.
I've used this book to good advantage several times. Once when a storm surge took a friends 33' sloop off of some jack stands in a marina yard and when the surge passed, the boat had come down on the stands and the rudder skeg. There were two large holes in the hull each a foot or more in size, a crushed section of hull side where it came to rest on a section of hull with a bulkhead directly behind it, the rudder skeg was sprung badly, and the rudder stock was bent. Working on it only one to two days a week, I was able to repair all the damage, cosmetically refinish the outside, and do a blister job on the bottom.
All except for the blister job, all my guidance came from this book.
I like it and highly reccomend it.