PDA

View Full Version : Through hull side exit exhaust

MJS26
04-14-2009, 04:35 PM
I have recently purchased a set of corsa captains call diverters and side exit exhaust tips for my 89 Donzi Regazza. I wanted to start this project and hopefully get it done before the start of the season. This past weekend i went to my local mechanic to just confirm what i knew about the amount of work that was going to go into this project. I told him i purchased the diverters, tips, hoses and clamps. And before i even finished he started lists parts that i didnt have and that it was needed to pull the engine to complete this job (this I was unaware of due to my inexperience). Can some one with more experience then me please clarify any other parts i may need for this project, and give me a general outline of the steps it really requires to complete this project. This is my first real major project done to the boat, and i dont want to get screwed by some one who sees me as a potential walking dollar sign walking into the shop (even if i really am). any imput would be helpful. Thank You.

mrfixxall
04-14-2009, 05:51 PM
I have recently purchased a set of corsa captains call diverters and side exit exhaust tips for my 89 Donzi Regazza. I wanted to start this project and hopefully get it done before the start of the season. This past weekend i went to my local mechanic to just confirm what i knew about the amount of work that was going to go into this project. I told him i purchased the diverters, tips, hoses and clamps. And before i even finished he started lists parts that i didnt have and that it was needed to pull the engine to complete this job (this I was unaware of due to my inexperience). Can some one with more experience then me please clarify any other parts i may need for this project, and give me a general outline of the steps it really requires to complete this project. This is my first real major project done to the boat, and i dont want to get screwed by some one who sees me as a potential walking dollar sign walking into the shop (even if i really am). any imput would be helpful. Thank You.

I have done several and never needed to pull the engine unless their wasnt a though prop y-pipe that needed to be installed..take some pics of your boat with the engine cover off and the back seat out of the boat.. and pics of what you bought..
Heres a pic of the last one i did and did it with a 4 1/2'' grinder to cut the 90 deg elbos and some hokey tools my friend had supplyed,took a totat of 6 hr and that was with installing a set of emi manifolds and risers.

also the boat in the pic hit a brake wall on lake michigan outside of chicago so from front hatch on the top deck forward i made new with fiberglass etc etc etc..

MOP
04-14-2009, 06:09 PM
If you have like Mike says through prop exhaust now your 4 FOOT chain has just gotten to be 8 FOOT, also if the above is true he would no longer be my mechanic as it would seem he has no HEART!

mrfixxall
04-14-2009, 06:21 PM
Also the hose has to be agcled downward for the water to drain,so try to install the tips as low as possible without interfering with your assorys..

MJS26
04-14-2009, 08:21 PM
why would you have to pull the engine if there was no y-pipes installed previously? The block off plate would have to be removed correct? My boat is in storage at our summer home so i currently do not have access to take pictures of the engine. i will post pictures of the diverters and tips tomorrow when i can

Trueser
04-14-2009, 09:01 PM
Yes you will need to pull the motor to install the y-pipe.

Why are adding silent choice?

mrfixxall
04-14-2009, 09:24 PM
why would you have to pull the engine if there was no y-pipes installed previously? The block off plate would have to be removed correct? My boat is in storage at our summer home so i currently do not have access to take pictures of the engine. i will post pictures of the diverters and tips tomorrow when i can

So now im confused,do you have through transm exhaust or is it through the prop? if you do do you want to run the exhaust out the side of the boat?

MJS26
04-15-2009, 05:40 AM
I am also confused....from my exhaust manifolds there are pipes that connect to what i believe are the y-pipes. So i assume this is through the prop exhaust that i am currently running. i purchased the diverters so i can have the option to switch the exhaust from through prop(around my dock) to through hull (further out on the water). The reason i purchased the side exhaust was because i have a integrated swim platform and could not put tips straight out the transom. I ask about the block off plate because that is the reason i was given to pull the engine. However (with my feeble understanding) there shouldn’t be one installed currently, and if i go switchable i should need to have one installed...I uploaded pictures of the tips I purchased.

mrfixxall
04-15-2009, 09:43 AM
I am also confused....from my exhaust manifolds there are pipes that connect to what i believe are the y-pipes. So i assume this is through the prop exhaust that i am currently running. i purchased the diverters so i can have the option to switch the exhaust from through prop(around my dock) to through hull (further out on the water). The reason i purchased the side exhaust was because i have a integrated swim platform and could not put tips straight out the transom. I ask about the block off plate because that is the reason i was given to pull the engine. However (with my feeble understanding) there shouldn’t be one installed currently, and if i go switchable i should need to have one installed...I uploaded pictures of the tips I purchased.

ok thats better,you have a y-pipe then if your boat is quiet..with the diverters you need the y-pipe. did you purchase 90 deg elbos to direct the exhaust out the side of the boat, i had to trim them in order to get them for fit rite..i get them from emi. http://eddiemarine.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=11623&c=58

i was in california at the time and went to eddie to purchase everything..
Get thease style clamps for the exhaust and it will never come apart.
http://www.murraycorp.com/index.pl/tb_t-bolt.htm

HOWARD O
04-15-2009, 02:43 PM
You might want to PM onesubdvr. As I recall, he had a Regazza and installed side exhaust on his.

On edit: I searched and found his old boat in the For Sale.

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=42360&highlight=regazza

onesubdrvr
04-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Yeah, I can't be of too much help,

I didn't use the diverters at all, I just ran strait through hull,... loud all the time,..... worse than any 18 or 22 I've been in :shocking: I did pm him with how I did mine, but it'll be different for him as he's elected to keep the through hub.

All that being said, if you are currently using through hub (where the prop is), then the y pipe is there, and you don't need a block off plate (if you are using the selector valve). Which it seems to me to be the scenario. You only need the block off plate if you are going through hull all of the time.

Anyway, if I can be of any help, shoot me a P/M.

Wayne

fegettes
04-19-2009, 07:19 AM
How does the sound of side exhaust compare to exhaust out the transom?

I have a Donzi Sport and I have a stroker motor to put in it, but the cam duration/vacuum is too great and I will not be able to exhaust thru the prop. And there is an interference at the transom, the steering is mounted in front of the transom, to prevent me from running the exhaust thru the transom. My next option is to run the exhaust out the side and I am concerned about the sound. Also, are mufflers available for thru hull exhaust?

Steve

onesubdrvr
04-19-2009, 11:06 AM
How does the sound of side exhaust compare to exhaust out the transom?

I have a Donzi Sport and I have a stroker motor to put in it, but the cam duration/vacuum is too great and I will not be able to exhaust thru the prop. And there is an interference at the transom, the steering is mounted in front of the transom, to prevent me from running the exhaust thru the transom. My next option is to run the exhaust thru the transom and I am concerned about the sound. Also, are mufflers available for thru hull exhaust?

Steve
It may have been the way mine was set up, but it was INCREDIBLY loud! Even at idle it sounded like a top fuel dragster or something, and while cool, when idling in the Manatee zones, it would get annoying. At 60, probably didn't notice it so much because of the wind noise, but there is a lot to be said about going through transom, the direction of the exhaust seems to quiet it down (for the boater at least) quite a bit.

Wayne