PDA

View Full Version : Diverters and CMI.....

Donziweasel
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
Thinking about putting divertors on CMI's.

Mine are "dry" exhausts. I was thinking the easiest way to do it is to cut the back of the tips the desired length and then putting the diverters in the between where the tips meet the headers. Then, run a longer water hose from the headers, over the diverters, and then connect to the tips. Will this work? Any other ideas?

VetteLT193
04-14-2009, 03:18 PM
Thinking about putting divertors on CMI's.
Mine are "dry" exhausts. I was thinking the easiest way to do it is to cut the back of the tips the desired length and then putting the diverters in the between where the tips meet the headers. Then, run a longer water hose from the headers, over the diverters, and then connect to the tips. Will this work? Any other ideas?

No, this is a bad idea. The exhaust exits the transom and goes through the exhaust bellows before getting to the prop. when running above idle that rubber bellows will not be cooled and will melt. Heck, it might melt anyway even at idle and submerged.

As far as I know you must run the exhaust wet before the diverters. I think the diverters also need some cooling too.

CMI can probably make you a short exhaust pipe that will dump the water in. Reversion will not be as bad on a stock bulldog Vs. regular HP 500... I'm not sure if your updates included a bigger cam though.

roadtrip se
04-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Very bad idea...

Donziweasel
04-14-2009, 04:59 PM
Thanks guys, I think I will call CMI and see if the have a solution.

When asking about mufflers I get dozens of responses saying go with diverters. I ask how to do it and get two responses.......:rolleyes:

roadtrip se
04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
I would think switchable mufflers are about your only choice with those things. You might be able to get away with some inline or insertable types, but if you do this then what is the point of having the dry pipes to begin with?

I would consider a swap and do the divertors. Best of both worlds.

And you will still have your hearing when it's happy hour back at the ranch.

Donziweasel
04-14-2009, 05:22 PM
Todd, you know, I was just looking at those in the CMI catalog. Great minds think alike, huh?

I like em'. The are pnuematic switchable. The only reason I didn't like them or clamp on mufflers before was asthetics. Most I have seem look like 55 gallon drums hangin' off the end of your tips. Fine for a 35 ft off shore boat, but we are talkin' a small 22 ft Critter here.

The CMI ones are smaller and more streamline. Actually look good. I will call and see how much they are tommorrow or if CMI has any ideas for the diverters.

I knew moving to a bigger/ more hp engine, that water reversion is a much bigger PITA. Just want to be careful.

BigGrizzly
04-14-2009, 05:46 PM
I am with Todd, but you could put silent dhoice frpom CMI for a tad more like I did on my Criterion. The corsican Has pips like yours and I like the automattic ones that CMI sells.

Donziweasel
04-14-2009, 06:47 PM
Randy, got a pic or two? Like to see your exhuast setup. Thanks.

CHACHI
04-14-2009, 07:20 PM
John, with two buns in the oven use diverters.
When the babies are on board, you will just hear the water slapping the hull. My .02

Ken

Donziweasel
04-14-2009, 07:45 PM
Ken, I doubt them babies will be in it too soon......

Still have time to add or modify. The clamp on, switchable, CMI mufflers look pretty cool and lower the decibles pretty low....take a look at them...

Page 19, external sound choice system.

http://www.custommarine.com/pdf_docs/2008-CMI-catalog-lo.pdf

On the same page are the internal sound choice system, water jacketed for CMI. Might work as well. Depends on price.

Now, considering I am broke, who is going to buy the Critter when I am done?:biggrin.:

BTW, is the the same Ken as Minxguy?

BigGrizzly
04-15-2009, 07:58 AM
DW, engine is out of the Criterion I could show pictures of the diverters and the Corsican slip on switchable ones. Just remember only the tails destinguish dry pipes from wet ones. Price is the issue. With the air activated ones the pump alone is $400+. I will tru to get some pictures, at this moment I am busy and my back is killing me, but I need to keep going. It looks like the Criterion is staying home from Cumberland, but I never give up.