PDA

View Full Version : Finally

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 03:23 PM
Got enough of the project done to drag it to Florida last week for initial water testing. I got 11 flawless running hours and a whole bunch of fun! What a great boat a 16 is!

From earlier discussions this boat seems like a 1968-69- or 70
I have redone everything, as the pics show, since last October 1

Not traditional by any means

ITTLFLI
04-13-2009, 03:31 PM
WOW! What a wild ride! Very Cool! Got any more details? :biggrin.:

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 03:34 PM
More pics in no particular order

mattyboy
04-13-2009, 03:36 PM
really unique a one of a kind 16 wow :)

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
a few more

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
Thanks to Big Grizzly for a prop to run
Ben at Precision Power who worked his azz off to rig it in a week
Craig at Appearence Products for his crews hard work with no time remaining to finish my interior.
A whole lot of people worked hard on this little thing Who knew that it requires so much work to redo a 16 foot boat
NK

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 03:42 PM
WOW! What a wild ride! Very Cool! Got any more details? :biggrin.:

What do you want to know?NK

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 03:47 PM
really unique a one of a kind 16 wow :)

Thanks Matty
I have a lot of testing left and a lot of details to get done but its running now so its all downhill from here

ITTLFLI
04-13-2009, 03:54 PM
What do you want to know?NK

power?

yeller
04-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Wow! Very nice! So many unique items. Looks very well done. I really like the way the bilge vents were done. I'm curious as to why you kept the rear lifting ring considering you got rid of the front one.

Do you have any more pics of the finished dash/console?

glashole
04-13-2009, 04:09 PM
is the hole at the back of the console for an extra speedo?

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 04:11 PM
383 stroker with Aluminum heads
454 ponies on the dyno a few weeks ago 87 Octane
Alpha ss
Hit 74 with lots left before I saw a bridge rapidly approaching
More testing this week but I am going to push it slowly. I need to continue learning how to drive this boat. It is very different than any other boats I have owned. Caution is the better part of valor for me.
I am not even sure what Big Grizzly sent me for a prop

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Wow! Very nice! So many unique items. Looks very well done. I really like the way the bilge vents were done. I'm curious as to why you kept the rear lifting ring considering you got rid of the front one.

Do you have any more pics of the finished dash/console?

Here is three I just took I will get better ones later this week but it shows the general idea
I kept the rear lifting ring for a ski tow ring for pulling my 9 year old around on a tube.
Thanks for the kind words
The rear of the console has a gps speedo with recall. I did not have room for it in the front with the hydraulic steering hoses and the trim indicators. I am using a handheld garmin gps up front that mounts when running and has a highest speed attained feature now that is very cool. When I was running a few speed runs I just tucked it between my legs and read it when I came off plane. NK

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 04:32 PM
oopps forgot to attach

yeller
04-13-2009, 05:00 PM
That is awesome. I love custom work of any kind, as long as the quality is there.....and it sure looks as if yours is quality.

BigGrizzly
04-13-2009, 05:09 PM
It is better then you described, Little boats are fun:yes::yes::yes: For those of you who don't know this guy is from a long line of go faster boats. He has been around for years and is one of the people who really help others on OSO. I remember him from the 2000 years. This guy has bough every option for a boat that there is at one time or other. This 16 was a wreck when he got it. The people he uses are fairly well known. But damm I am still impressed. We got another Ted and Mick here.:yes::yes:

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 05:13 PM
That is awesome. I love custom work of any kind, as long as the quality is there.....and it sure looks as if yours is quality.

Thanks for the kind words
I had two guys doing all the tricky stuff who both have over twenty years experience making boats. This thing is never coming apart I had it in big waves this past weekend and there are no rattles or shuddering. I am very happy about that. The trick for the fit and finish is that since we did everything custom without any molds or really any other previous examples it is really hard to make all the corners and little details look perfect. I have a few details to redo now that I have seen how everything works and a few do overs that I didn't like I have some work to finish. By cumberland I hope to have it complete for the summer.

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 05:15 PM
It is better then you described, Little boats are fun:yes::yes::yes: For those of you who don't know this guy is from a long line of go faster boats. He has been around for years and is one of the people who really help others on OSO. I remember him from the 2000 years. This guy has bough every option for a boat that there is at one time or other. This 16 was a wreck when he got it. The people he uses are fairly well known. But damm I am still impressed. We got another Ted and Mick here.:yes::yes:

Thanks Randy
It was awesome. My wife, son and I got out a week ago in the gulf of mexico with three foot rollers and got one of the funnest rides I have ever had It was exactly the same feeling as the bigger boats just throttleing over some nice sets What a rush.
Nice job on the prop. I will send you a pm
NK

BigGrizzly
04-13-2009, 05:48 PM
I am glad you finally had a fun time with this project. All the fun and not much gas and you don't have to park in a tractor trailer parking space. This is just what you told me you wanted. Good things do come in small packages. The prop was easy, you had all the numbers and the experience you have let me go to the safe edge. I will say that your engine builder DOES know what he is doing, this helped me most. With the right kind of power the prop thing works the way it is suppose to. I remember you saying you did this for the boy too so you met and exceeded your goal, good work.:worthy:

Conquistador_del_mar
04-13-2009, 06:24 PM
Now that is an awesome custom 16'!! Are the graphics vinyl? I love the air intakes and console, and the graphics scream. Great design work there! Bill

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks Bill
All paint designed by my wife, I and mostly by Mitch Tolan at Mitcher T's Custom Painting in Middleville Mi. Mitch is the best guy to work with ever. 4th boat of mine he has painted, along with many freinds and all Sunsations for the last twenty years.

frclarke
04-13-2009, 06:36 PM
I'm really glad you put a console in! I've been *****footing around this concept for my 22 for sometime. The need for cup holders and the lack of useful space kept pushing me back to the console idea.

It looks great and is functional. It fits everything needed (speakers, gauges, shifter, switches, CUPHOLDERS) and makes for a comfy snug people fit.

Some questions for you:
The engine bay scoops - can you provide some details of how you built them?
Can you provide contact info on the people who did your seats?
Can you provide details on the hatch hinges?

Tony
04-13-2009, 07:10 PM
VERY nice looking work! A 16' with that kind of power, and structural integrity, would be a dream to run.
Speaking of which, where in Michigan do you splash her?

:beer:

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm really glad you put a console in! I've been *****footing around this concept for my 22 for sometime. The need for cup holders and the lack of useful space kept pushing me back to the console idea.

It looks great and is functional. It fits everything needed (speakers, gauges, shifter, switches, CUPHOLDERS) and makes for a comfy snug people fit.

Some questions for you:
The engine bay scoops - can you provide some details of how you built them?
Can you provide contact info on the people who did your seats?
Can you provide details on the hatch hinges?

The other main advantage of the center console is that the boat can now be steered by my 9 year old (in a few years) with me throttleing. No way he pushes the throttles for a long time escpecially after hearing him yelling faster faster last weekend! I like running with my right hand and did not care for the side mount offshore throttles This gives me the offshore feel I like and the coziness in waves that feels a little safer. Plus everything you said was a bonus.
The hatch hinges are from eddie marine and are great!
The apholstery is from Appearence Products in Grand Rapids, MI. Craig Ellis is the owner and they do all of skaters seats He is the best Call him at 6164373841 and tell him Parnell gave you his name
The scoops are hand made by appling foam out of a can like you use to fill cracks on a house. You make a big blob around where you want them then begin sanding and sculpting until you get what you like The trick is to make them the same size and in the same place on each side. Then we cut out the holes and sanded till we bled Once they are symetrical we layed layers of glass over them then sanded some more When we had a few layers on we used cheese cloth to get a smooth finish, sanded more then we used adtech and sanded again When they were ready we primed them and sanded more Then the painter took over. Lots of sanding is the short answer

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 07:21 PM
VERY nice looking work! A 16' with that kind of power, and structural integrity, would be a dream to run.
Speaking of which, where in Michigan do you splash her?

I'm in GR and will run it on Lake Michigan, St Clair, Torch, Charlevoix, Burt ect and a few poker runs like aoth and Lake George I have cousins on Lake Oakland so I will show up a few times there this summer too. How bout you?

Just Say N20
04-13-2009, 07:36 PM
So this remarkable boat lives in GR. If you are up to it, PM me with some contact information. I'm in Cascade and would LOVE to see your boat in person. I just bought a 1967 16 that needs some help, and the inspiration would be wonderful!

Bill

BlownCrewCab
04-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Wow, Beautiful Job.... Whats the floor? Glass over wood, or coosa board? Very Cool either way. Is the bilge pump mounted to the transom or the bottom? also, How thick is the Dash, one pic looks like 1"+... That thing is BadAzz, Be proud...

DickB
04-13-2009, 08:10 PM
Awesome job! Truly unique and excellent detail.

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 09:20 PM
Wow, Beautiful Job.... Whats the floor? Glass over wood, or coosa board? Very Cool either way. Is the bilge pump mounted to the transom or the bottom? also, How thick is the Dash, one pic looks like 1"+... That thing is BadAzz, Be proud...

Thanks guys
Blown The bilge is mounted to a little board we glassed in the bottom 1" forward of the transom
The dash is 1" Balsa except where the steering is which is 1" marine plywood
The floor is 2 sheets of 3/4" balsa glassed on both sides and glassed to the floor As one of the guys working on it with me said The next time the tank comes out it will be easier to go thru the bottom of the hull

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Bill
Sent you a pm

Just Say N20
04-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Parnell,

Back at ya! :biggrin.:

Sweet Cheekz
04-14-2009, 09:40 AM
Awesome job! Truly unique and excellent detail.

Thanks Dick
Kind words from someone paying attention to details like you are I have been following your dash project with keen interest Very pretty Good luck and can't wait to see the finished project
NK

hot shot
04-14-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm glad in not one of the only members to think outside of the box. all i can can is :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::w orthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::wor thy::worthy::worthy:

roadtrip se
04-14-2009, 12:27 PM
Can't wait to see it at AOTH!

Sweet Cheekz
04-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Thanks guys I cant wait for aoth

Sweet Cheekz
04-14-2009, 04:34 PM
A few more Check out the silver z on the side of the boat and the matching z in the sky

Tony
04-14-2009, 06:28 PM
I'm in GR and will run it on Lake Michigan, St Clair, Torch, Charlevoix, Burt ect and a few poker runs like aoth and Lake George I have cousins on Lake Oakland so I will show up a few times there this summer too. How bout you?

We're in Portland, just west of Lansing. A good portion of our summer is spent in Benzonia; where we boat Lake Michigan via Frankfort, Crystal, Platte, Torch, Charlevoix, Walloon, Petoskey, and Glen. When downstate we drop in at Grand Haven usually, and sometimes Holland or Muskegon.

Hopefully sometime this summer we will meet up. I would love to see your 16' in person!

(Tony & Cherrie Sporer)

MOP
04-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Very hard to put this one to words so I will give it my best!
EXCEPTIONAL!

Donziweasel
04-14-2009, 07:00 PM
Very nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am with everyone else, I want to see it up close......

Sweet Cheekz
04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Thanks Guys
My buddy who owns the red 95 in the pic with my boat, and I were noticing when we were at the beach last week in tampa that my boat has a different attitude sitting in the water Check out pic 2 seems like mine is sitting lower in the back, bow high With all my changes I thought that was interesting.

Sweet Cheekz
04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
Tony
Sounds like we will run into each other somewhere this summer Nice boat see you soon

glashole
04-15-2009, 06:15 AM
nice boat, looks very nice, looking forward to seeing it at aoth but

its not a Z boat, its a classic.................

you still have to run with the classics in the fun run.............

Sweet Cheekz
04-15-2009, 09:02 AM
Sounds good to me

Sweet Cheekz
04-15-2009, 06:22 PM
I'm glad in not one of the only members to think outside of the box. all i can can is :worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::w orthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy::wor thy::worthy::worthy:

Thanks
I am pretty new to this site but I think I just saw pics of your newly remodeled boat The 22 painted at Deans?
Are you Mick?

Just Say N20
04-15-2009, 06:31 PM
I stopped by, met Parnell, and saw the boat in person.

All I can say is WOW! As good at it looks in the pictures, it's nicer in "person."

As I was looking at it, taking everything in, he said exactly what I was thinking. Something to the effect that he wanted to make a total offshore rigged boat, using a 16' Donzi. And he did.

And it is an unusual experience to see it in person, because I have always considered myself to be a classic DONZI color scheme kind of guy, but somehow, this boat just looks "right." It is done so well, that it works.

And, Parnell's not a bad guy either. . . :biggrin:

tamburello
04-15-2009, 06:46 PM
WOW! :worthy::worthy: Nice job Parnell, I love what you did. That center console setup is very cool.

I was impressed when I watched you run your Saber in the rough stuff off Grand Haven and I'm sure you'll have a blast running the 16 on Lake Michigan, maybe not in quite the same wave conditions though. :biggrin.:

Too bad I just moved out of W. Michigan, I would've loved to see your rig in person.

Have fun!

- Jeff

Sweet Cheekz
04-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Nice meeting you Bill Thanks for stopping Look forward to seeing yours run this summer.

Sweet Cheekz
04-15-2009, 08:26 PM
Hey Jeff
Thanks
I can't wait to ring mine out a bit but in just a little less severe waves than the saber, no doubt Enjoy California
Parnell