PDA

View Full Version : What to do about a towing cover

hot shot
04-13-2009, 10:15 AM
Hey guys i hate asking stupid questions but here i go.... I just had my boat painted with automotive paint ( not quite as mar resistant as gel) and i would like a cover to tow the boat with. I'm told that covers that go to the water line are nice untill you get some debris or dirt on the inside them it will kill the paint.... cockpit covers will blow off unless you use the stud pin type snaps that are ugly and i was wondering if anyone has a suggestion... all i'm concerned with is the cockpit.... i'll install mud flaps to keep stone chips down to a min.... and ideas ? Mick

VetteLT193
04-13-2009, 10:18 AM
Unless it is really well fitted I wouldn't do it. The only way to get that kind of fit is with a really good canvas shop. It will cost ya some major coin. Even then you have a chance of damage. a canvas cover even slightly vibrating at 70 MPH is as good as a power sander.

MOP
04-13-2009, 10:52 AM
Agreed it must be very tight, I use about a dozen bungees to hold it tight. I put foar pipe wrap along the top of the windshield and also tape rags over any protrusions to protect the cover. No matter how tight there is still movement, I spoke to my canvas guy he recommended putting vent in the cover facing aft to try to suck it down tighter,

Phil

RedDog
04-13-2009, 11:48 AM
Replace your cockpit cover snaps (both sides - male / female) with these -

http://www.sailrite.com/Categories/Pull-The-Dot-Snaps-Individual-Parts;jsessionid=0a0101441f4308ec677807dd4994942ed 2e3f1076994.e3eSc3uNaNuTe34Pa38Ta38Ochj0

Dr. Dan
04-13-2009, 11:54 AM
:cool!:Mick - There are varied opinions and experiences on towing with a cover, fact is if it moves or vibrates when towed it could impact the finish of whatever its touching, Chrome, Paint or Vinyl Graphics.

I do tow with my cover on , I use chaffing gaurds where its needed, it is a PIA but the boat is protected on long hauls. I regulary tow 15 to 20,000 miles a Season...and I have had minimal issues. Without dragging everyone through the details... give me a shout and I can share what precautions I use.

You dont have a windshield on the 22 now so I am not sure how the fit would be, but I use www.coverquest.com for mine, I just ordered a new one after 7 years and over 130,000 miles of towing... pretty good. It was SunBrella Fabric.

I am going Custom on the Pantera and also using SunBrella, they have a high end line that has a softer Velvet Type material liner, I will be using that for the 28. Dirt is the enemy so keep the finish clean, and the chaffing gaurds and shields clean and you will have minimal issues.

I do also tow without a cover if the weather is nice and I think I can make it home... but it doesnt allow protection from other traffic... so its a risk also.

Call Me we can discuss it in detail.

Danny :biggrin.:

ygrowup
04-13-2009, 12:03 PM
Hey guys i hate asking stupid questions but here i go.... I just had my boat painted with automotive paint ( not quite as mar resistant as gel) and i would like a cover to tow the boat with. I'm told that covers that go to the water line are nice untill you get some debris or dirt on the inside them it will kill the paint.... cockpit covers will blow off unless you use the stud pin type snaps that are ugly and i was wondering if anyone has a suggestion... all i'm concerned with is the cockpit.... i'll install mud flaps to keep stone chips down to a min.... and ideas ? Mick

When long-hauling the 22 to Torch etc, we've kept the cockpit cover on and taped the forward perimeter and a foot or so from the leading edge of the windshield on both sides with wide, white shrinkwrap tape. It leaves no residue on the cover or gel. Besides eliminating the buffetting, it keeps the road dust to a minimum in the cockpit. That and a good set of flaps on the truck have done the trick for a couple years now.

Look forward to seeing your 22-- Dave1

RickSE
04-13-2009, 02:37 PM
I use a factory "new boat" shipping cover from Donzi for long hauls thats made by Trans Shield. These covers are very tough, durable and are custom fit to the boat; poly exterior, felt lined inside, air vents, draw strings and plenty of tie-downs. These covers go all the way down to the chine and are not very expensive. Do you think the factory would allow new boats to leave with covers that would damage the boats?

Sweet Cheekz
04-13-2009, 04:36 PM
When long-hauling the 22 to Torch etc, we've kept the cockpit cover on and taped the forward perimeter and a foot or so from the leading edge of the windshield on both sides with wide, white shrinkwrap tape. It leaves no residue on the cover or gel. Besides eliminating the buffetting, it keeps the road dust to a minimum in the cockpit. That and a good set of flaps on the truck have done the trick for a couple years now.

Look forward to seeing your 22-- Dave1

I just towed my 3000 miles doing the same thing with the tape and it worked great Keeps all the bugs from getting powered up under the cover too. NK

yeller
04-13-2009, 04:53 PM
roadtrip se and reddog have it. Those snaps DO work.

Bobby D
04-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Rick
I need a long haul transportation cover for a 18 2+3 do you have a contact number that I can call or did you go directly to Donzi for it.
Thanks,
Bob

BigGrizzly
04-13-2009, 05:19 PM
Fot the Criterion I had a people pit cover made with a vent. it is top drawer. Mad of sunbrella, by a guy who did the inreriors for the smokie and the bandit car by year one. This guy said that sunbrella has a Sunbrella matrtial with a soft inside which may work.

knots2u
04-14-2009, 07:50 AM
Sunbrella Plus has the soft backside. You should also consider stuffing something into the vents while towing.

hot shot
04-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks guys for all to good answers... i think those snaps will be the ticket with the good sunbrella fabric is the answer and i like to shrink wrap tape idea if nessary//// mabe a rear vent as well.... thanks again mick:biggrin:

LKSD
04-15-2009, 11:33 AM
Mick, we also have some premade covers for some models that I can get you in various fabrics including sunbrella. I also can also get some shipping covers which in my opinion work well for using as a trailering cover. They are lined with fuzzy felt like material inside & go way down the sides for a good tight fit on most of them.. If I can be of help feel free to call me.. Also your other Donzi parts went out yesterday. You should have them soon.. :) Jamie / Lakeside

Ranman
04-15-2009, 08:10 PM
Thanks guys for all to good answers... i think those snaps will be the ticket with the good sunbrella fabric is the answer and i like to shrink wrap tape idea if nessary//// mabe a rear vent as well.... thanks again mick:biggrin:

Pull-the-dots do work well. They can be a pain until you take a minute to learn how to use them.

If you need it, I have the professional snap tool and the special die to install pull-the-dod snaps into a cover.

hot shot
04-16-2009, 08:32 AM
thanks guys i just ordered the pull dot snaps for both boats and ran man i my guy doesn't have the tool i'll pm ya and rent it from ya for a couple of days thanks Mick:biggrin.:

Ranman
04-16-2009, 10:34 AM
thanks guys i just ordered the pull dot snaps for both boats and ran man i my guy doesn't have the tool i'll pm ya and rent it from ya for a couple of days thanks Mick:biggrin.:

No problem Mick. Just let me know if you need it.

yeller
04-16-2009, 11:30 AM
...and i like to shrink wrap tape idea if nessary...I'd stay away from shrink wrap tape on paint. I had my boat shrink wrapped for shipping and on one side they applied the tape over the painted boot stripe. When I pulled off the tape, the paint came with it.

Air 22
04-16-2009, 07:46 PM
I use a factory "new boat" shipping cover from Donzi for long hauls thats made by Trans Shield. These covers are very tough, durable and are custom fit to the boat; poly exterior, felt lined inside, air vents, draw strings and plenty of tie-downs. These covers go all the way down to the chine and are not very expensive. Do you think the factory would allow new boats to leave with covers that would damage the boats?

Rick...Do you have a link and pic's of the cover you mentioned?
Thanks...:)