PDA

View Full Version : V-drive clearance

Speed Racer
04-12-2009, 03:38 PM
As the Deck goes back on the 16, I have gotten worried about a clearance issue..
I mounted the MSD, Tach Adapter, and master power switch on a bracket that has it sitting right on top of the transmission. For the life of me, I cannot remember how much clearance there is from the bottom of the rear bench seat to the top of the tranny, and if that stuff is going to fit or not. My idea is to use that inspection hatch below the back seat to turn the master on and off, but of course that will not work if the deck will not fit on the thing!

I have tried doing some measuring, but it is just too close to call. As you can see the deck is ready to go on, but this little nagging thing is holding the project up!!

Any ideas??

Thanks,
GG

CHACHI
04-12-2009, 04:35 PM
Garry, I can't tell you if the deck will fit or not.

The only suggestion I can offer is to touch up the top of the stringer.:wink:

Ken

Conquistador_del_mar
04-12-2009, 04:39 PM
Garry,
Is it too much trouble to slowly lower the deck to find out quickly? It looks like the battery switch is slightly taller than the MSD box. If the MSD box fits under the back seat, but the switch does not, there are lower profile switches made or you could move the switch to the stringer in front of the battery. Wouldn't it be almost easier to open the engine hatch to turn off the switch than to have to remove the upholstery and cover plate? By the way, good looking engine package. Bill

MOP
04-12-2009, 05:37 PM
How much clearance below the engine? If need be can you gain a little there?

Speed Racer
04-12-2009, 07:46 PM
All Good ideas, but I just kept looking and looking and then just agreed with CDM's remark, that it would be easier to open the engine hatch to kill the power, so the re-design is in gear now..

Thanks for the kick in the pants..
GG

Just Say N20
04-12-2009, 09:29 PM
I don't know if this will help, but my boat (1967 16 Ski-Sporter) has a "unique" opening in the rear seat.

It measures out to 19.5" from the bottom of the V to the underside of the seat. Yours might be slightly more, as this surfaces has sagged a little.

rustnrot
04-13-2009, 08:27 AM
While I can't find a pic, in my experience after rebuilding a 16 v drive before, it would NOT have fit where you first proposed it. We put a hatch under the seat to be able to service the tranny, does yours have one?

Speed Racer
04-13-2009, 10:51 AM
Thanks for the photos and real measurements... You all are totally correct.. that mounting idea would not have worked at all, even with the transmission service hatch in the bench seat... :( Back to the design phase... I am thinking just forward of the battery, on the port side...
GG