PDA

View Full Version : Engine/Drivetrain Fluid Use..?

fogducker III
04-12-2009, 12:05 PM
Help a brother out.............:frown:

What should be a "normal" volume of engine oil that my 377 Scorpion should be using?

I guesstimate I am topping it up with about a half litre after 20 or so hours? Sound fair...??

I am also curious about the leg gear oil, I have the small resivour on the transom and I am adding a couple of oz after about 20-25 hrs run time...?? I realize the engine actual "uses up" oil but did not realize the outdrive uses up the gear oil...? I thought it just lubricates the gears...?

I have checked EVERYWHERE for leaks, NONE....?? The engine is running perfect, there is no excess exhaust and no telltale signs of a problem like burning smell etc..........am I being anal...?:biggrin.:

fogducker III
04-12-2009, 03:28 PM
yes you are..

the engine/drive sound normal..

I make no claims for the operator ;) :) :)

Funny man................:biggrin:

So where does the gear oil get eaten up?

Donziweasel
04-12-2009, 04:17 PM
Jeremy, the gear oil reservoir will fluctuate. When are you checking it?

Now, quit worrying about it and run it, or, get your ass down here and give me a hand.......... :biggrin.:

fogducker III
04-12-2009, 04:29 PM
Howdy John, is that engine in yet? :biggrin:

I am just not sure where or how the gear oil disappears...? I check ALL fluids after each run, top up as needed......

I have been out quite alot lately, despite the weather....:kyle:

Be careful inviting me down there, I saw the fun Tex and Hedge had down there.........it would be worth the grease and busted knuckles......:eek:

PS. If you decide to not go with the Silent Choice/Captains Call set up let me know, I have the exhaust block-off plate I will send down to you. Take care, Jeremy.

Jeremy, the gear oil reservoir will fluctuate. When are you checking it?

Now, quit worrying about it and run it, or, get your ass down here and give me a hand.......... :biggrin.:

CHACHI
04-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Howdy John, is that engine in yet? :biggrin:

I am just not sure where or how the gear oil disappears...? I check ALL fluids after each run, top up as needed...

Jeremy, if there are no external leaks, and you keep adding drive fluid, could it leaking internally, ie into the drive bellows?

I really don't think you are running the drive so hot the fluid is vaporizing.

Ken

Donziweasel
04-12-2009, 04:49 PM
Howdy John, is that engine in yet?

Takin' my time.....

I could slap it in right now, but wouldn't be happy. Need to replace some things, scrub a little rust and do a little "bling" painting.
Plus, need a few parts The Harbormaster is working on with me, mainly a wiring harness.....

Oh yeah, and a spline coupler from the angry dog of french origin.....

Come on down anytime........don't worry, we will split the time between fun and work on the Critter, which is also kinda fun......:rolleyes:

How much are you adding to the drive? How about the engine? If you are wondering about the engine, do a compression test on the cylinders.....

As for the drive, you can always change fluid just to make sure you don't have any water in it.......

MOP
04-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Mine drops about 3/4" inch, that is after it has been run on a new refill. When the drive gets warmed up it burps a little air.

Phil

fogducker III
04-12-2009, 06:39 PM
Thinking about it your most likely right, I swapped the top gears as well as the new Imco leg so the entire system was drained, probably took the outdrive a while to find it's own level.........so after a couple of "top ups" it should now have found it's happy level..........

I am pretty good about checking fluids and maintaining as needed, no water in the lower and as far as motor oil, compression is even straight across the board, no leaks and no smoke or soot on the transom, I guess all is good...........need to get out there again, it was damn nice on Sat...........:biggrin.: