PDA

View Full Version : Engine options- what would you do?

zimm17
04-12-2009, 11:41 AM
Well I have two years to plan and save up for my next engine.

Here's what I have: A Gen VI 454 magnum with blown block, and the heads are trashed. But I have a good condition whipple EFI blower (2.3L), dana marine exhaust, and a $400 set of crane roller rockers. The engine is a 1996 and the accessories are original. Time for a new external water pump too, the shop pressed the pulley on crooked and it wobbles badly. It has V-belts too.

I'm trying to stay as low budget as possible (around $6000).

I'm thinking about several options:

1) Take my pile of junk to a popular performance builder in Maryland and have them rebuild what I have with a new GM long block. Will probably blow the budget

2) Buy a new merc 502 long block and bolt on my whipple- reuse my old accessories

3) Buy a used takeout 502 magnum EFI with the newer sepertine belt drive, then add the blower later

4) Buy a used 500EFI, sell the blower to make up the $$$ difference

5) Hold my breath for a marine LS small block motor. First, they don't exist, I'd need new exhaust, and the exhaust tips are probably in the wrong place, oh and it would blow the budget too.

I'm leery of buying a used motor from OSO, because if it needs any work I'll be out of budget to fix it. I'd really like get new accessories and serpentine belts- but not sure if I can get a whipple pulley to match.

I really don't NEED the 600+HP, I was running 86mph with the tired 454 @6psi. 80 is plenty. 72mph (what I ran stock) was too slow, got to stay ahead of the standard powered offshore boats. So really I just need 500 reliable HP, but of course I already have the blower... and it looks really cool.

What would you recommend?

joseph m. hahnl
04-12-2009, 01:11 PM
I would find a seasoned 502 block. Put a steel crank,forged Pistons, Cam designed for your application. and invest in a great set of heads.
Don't bother with used or crate motors. They'll never match up to what you can do your self .You won't have to compromise on quality product by paying someones else's labor cost. If you feel you don't have the mechanical ability to do it your self.I'm sure one of our Donzi buds would assist you in you endeavor> "I know I would":biggrin: