PDA

View Full Version : Use on salt water...

integra
01-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Does Anyone of you use a Donzi in salt water, leaving it in a harbour always in salt water??

I'll do so, and would like to know if it's necessary or not to make a special painting of hull to avoid micro-organism attack...

What do you think about it?? Any other precaution for salt water?? :confused:

Happy New Year From Europe!! :D

smokediver
01-06-2004, 01:24 PM
dont do it .... the bottom isnt the problem... if it is an i/o that is the problem ...they dont fair well no matter what you do ...

integra
01-06-2004, 01:34 PM
I'm sorry... I didn't understand ! :confused:

Morgan's Cloud
01-06-2004, 01:43 PM
As much as this will disgust many of the members here, here goes ....

I have no choice here and neither does anyone else !

Our boats have no haul out/trailering/storage facilities and must endure the length of the season in the ocean...Not only is that bad enough but our water is reportedly the 2nd saltiest on the planet.

Over the years I have owned/maintained Volvos and Mercs with a bit of OMC thrown in too.

I know your boat is new so it does'nt matter how durable the old 270's were...

I have no problem with the B3 in the salt. Of course you have to be fanatical with the electrolysis prevention equipment and you or someone you know has to be very well versed in painting of lower units.

Of course I would never advise leaving your I/O boat in the water all year 'round.All boats should come up regularly for 'beauty rest' wink

I admit I hate the salt water but boats are a PITA no matter where you choose to have your fun.Boats that live in the ocean are the biggest PITA !

integra
01-06-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanx Morgan, off course I'll leave it on water from March to September, the rest of time it will be on a covered storage!

But my questions were for the salt water period...! wink

MOP
01-06-2004, 04:28 PM
Integra you should have a "Mercathode" kit installed to help protect the outdrive, it also good to research the bottom paint for one that does not conflict with the aluminum and stainless steel parts. I am sure there are some boat yards in your area that can make sure you protect your investment properly. I have been boating in Salt for 50 some odd years, good preparation will minimize its effects.

http://www.mercstuff.com/mercathode_kit.htm

integra
01-06-2004, 04:46 PM
Thank you M.O.P. , I know that merchatode is standard on 496 Mag, so no problem...!!

at first I'll keep the hull unpainted, then I'll make it paint for periods of less use... wink

McGary911
01-06-2004, 05:18 PM
Integra,
If you must keep it in the water wink Here are a few things. First thing you will need is bottom paint, commonly referred to as antifouling paint. Follow the instructions, as the boat usually has to be put in the water within a week after painting.
Sacrificial anodes, or zincs, are attached to key parts of your outdrive and rams. Use aluminum for salt. They are designed to attract corrosive elements in the water, and they are attacked, rather than your drive. Check them often, and make sure they havent corroded away completely.
This one is very important, and often overlooked. Make sure any electrical installations at your dock are wired properly, and any boat plugged into shore power nearby, is not a junker with wires laying in the bilge. This will introduce current into the water which will make metals corrode 10+ times faster. If your zincs are only lasting a week, theres a voltage problem nearby.
If i recall you have a 26 zx on the way. Im not sure how many bilge pumps it has, but i would have at least 2, wired independently, 1 to each battery. Sinking sucks.
Youll have to keep the engine treated with some sort of anti corrosive lubricant available at many boat stores. It will look a little gunky, but at least you wont be corroding.
I hope you have fresh water\closed cooling.

Installing a lift would be a MUCH better route, but if it isnt an option, this should get you started.....I'm sure others will have some tips as well. back to work......

integra
01-06-2004, 05:34 PM
thanx for all these advice, I already knew something, and something else not...

Maybe you don't know our European situation about boats... (you're at a higher level) :)

We cannot trail a boat that is longer that 20 feet about, because of restrictive laws and very small roads... I live in a Town where the most of your USA Pick ups wouldn't be able to run in every street, try to imagine trailing a 26 feet boat!! eek! :(

Our sea ports are very old and simple: here covered place are very rare (at docks they don't exist), and most of places are for hire...

It is no possible to install a lift here, I've seen one or two in my life... :(

Maybe now you can imagine why I must leave my 26 ZX in a harbour...! :)

Hanker
01-06-2004, 08:38 PM
No wonder my grand parents left Italy...... wink

Shanghied Again
01-06-2004, 08:44 PM
Integra, Will they let you use a Hydrohoist in Italy. They make a nice unit for a 26ft. I don't recomend the airbag set up. If you have to paint the bottom they make a hi speed white for Performance boats. But if you can find another way first I would.

BUIZILLA
01-06-2004, 08:56 PM
There is also an antifouling clear I have seen on several boats down here, Definately worth a hard look at the clear.

J

McGary911
01-06-2004, 09:34 PM
BUIZILLA:
There is also an antifouling clear I have seen on several boats down here, Definately worth a hard look at the clear.

J Jim, They had a ton of problems with that clear peeling off. Dolphanite even had the saga posted on their website for a while, but i cant find it now. Essentially they blamed their supplier. Here's aLink (http://www.dolphinite.com/whats_new.htm)to their site tho. They now instruct you to sand the bottom with 80 grit eek! to give the stuff a fighting chance. AHA! found the page on the site HERE (http://www.dolphinite.com/bottompaint_release.htm)

There may be others out there, but I'd do my homework first....Sanding a brand new 26ZX with 80grit....ouch!

BUIZILLA
01-06-2004, 09:49 PM
McGary, I can tell you the guy I know doing it, has done DOZENS, no problemo...

J

Shanghied Again
01-07-2004, 04:20 AM
Dolphanite, Can't be used in cold water we had two boats painted to there specs in a warm garage, sanded the bottom and applied the first boat never made the test run without peeling the second boat got two weeks for 249 a gallon a lesson will never take again. And Dolphanite answer was your water is to cold! Doesn't say that on the can.

integra
01-07-2004, 07:54 AM
Shanghied Again:
Integra, Will they let you use a Hydrohoist in Italy. They make a nice unit for a 26ft. I don't recomend the airbag set up. If you have to paint the bottom they make a hi speed white for Performance boats. But if you can find another way first I would. Frank, what is a Hydrohoist??? I'm sorry I don't know it...

MOP
01-07-2004, 07:58 AM
I may get a little flack on this but one of the best coating is Pettit Aluma Guard on the bottom and drive. Boats that we have painted with it over the years had far less drive and tab burn than boats coated with paints with any copper content. Copper is a killer on drives, the only problem it only comes in three basic colors.

NoTime
01-07-2004, 08:42 AM
MOP, Good point. The outdrive case is essentially a big chunk of aluminum so a aluminum based anti-fouling paint will naturally cause less galvanic action verses a copper based paint -- the dissimilar metal thing. :) The question of course is whether aluminum is as good at discouraging marine growth as a good load of copper. :confused: Whatever the case, it's not that hard to pull the outdrive up into trailer position occasionally and scrub it off.

RedDog
01-07-2004, 08:48 AM
integra - this is what you really need to keep you new boat like it should be kept - http://www.boatlift.com/

Fish boy
01-07-2004, 10:37 AM
have to agree with Reddog and Frank on the hydrohoist if it is an option.

Dax McDavid
01-07-2004, 10:39 AM
My Dad and I run our boats on the Gulf Coast. We both have fresh water closed cooling systems. These systems are a must!!
Also make sure and check for leaks in cooling system, and for leaky gaskets or bad seals around exhaust manifolds in particular. These leaks will cause saltwater to drip all over your engine and corrode anything it comes in contact with.
Another big problem we encountered with our 22zx, and I don't know if the 26zx is set up the same but if it is this is a good tip. The back of the boat sits so low in the water that sometimes waves or reversing will cause saltwater to go in the air vents to the engine compartment. This is bad b/c it will corrode your blower almost overnight and eventually drip down enough to corrode your main ground connection (which is located right below one of the vent hoses) and other electrical components placed in the back of engine compartment. Best to go move the hoses off to the side so they don't drip on anything important. This has saved us much trouble.
Oh one more thing, my manifolds were corroded after two seasons and I dont leave it in the water I flush system after every use. Donzi replaced them for Free!!
hope this helps

BOATMON
01-07-2004, 12:53 PM
Integra,

We bought two Hydro Hoists EURO Lifts, one is here in Puerto Rico and one for St. Thomas. They work very well and you'll have minimal maintainence with them. Don't mess up your new ZX with bottom paint or by leaving it unprotected in saltwater.

They shipped the lifts from Germany so it should work out for you much better except for the VAT of course.

Good luck,

Brad

integra
01-07-2004, 03:31 PM
ehm.. An Hydro lift would be a dream for me, but there is one big problem: where can I put it?? our places are not with double deck on sides!! we have all boats touching each others...!!!

and I have not a personal deck since I live in a Town!! :rolleyes:

So Where could I put this fantastic Hydrolift?? :confused:

BOATMON
01-07-2004, 05:16 PM
Integra,

How close are you anchoring to shore? If you can get electrical power to the shore side pump unit and not to far from the shore you do have options. Ask Hydro Hoist for details, their website does list an Italian distributor.

You could use two pilings or a four point anchor set up. Who knows you might start a trend and end up paying for the lift through sales referrals.

Cheers,

Brad

Hanker
01-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Poodle and I looked at these lifts (Jetdock) (http://www.jetdock.com/pages/boat_lifts.asp) at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. They were very cool. They do not need a dock, and could be used standalone. But, you would need shore power.

They are all plastic and have very little that would corrode. One really cool thing about them, is you can walk around your boat.

Just another idea.......

integra
01-07-2004, 05:51 PM
thanx a lot for cool ideas!! tomorrow I'm phoning to all of them!! :) wink