PDA

View Full Version : Right size prop

DonziBuoy
04-10-2009, 04:31 PM
I know this question has been answered somewhere here only about 100 times, but my question is, what is the proper size prop for a mercruiser Alpha drive with a 4.3 V-6? I am looking at a few donzi 16's for purchase, so would the same prop size apply to the OMC outdrive?

Also, what is involved with redirecting the v-6 exhaust thru the transom as many go through the outdrive.

Is there any gain in HP by porting thru the transom?

Are there any other simple things to do to get more HP out of the v-6?

THanks,
Jim (DonziBuoy)

zelatore
04-10-2009, 05:17 PM
I can't tell you much on the prop, but the thru-hull exhaust on a stock V6 won't really gain you much/any performance. It looks cool, and sounds cool (well, I'm not sure how it would sound on a V6 but probably good) so do it for those reasons, but not to pick up speed.

Now if you have heavily modified motor it's a different story.

zelatore
04-10-2009, 05:19 PM
And for more power out of the V6, it depends on which motor you're looking at. 2bbl, 4 bbl, injected??

I think somebody is making a reasonably priced blower for the V6s - that would be the biggest bang for the buck.

BigGrizzly
04-10-2009, 05:21 PM
Zel is correct, prop depends on how your boat runs and what is on it at this point. I sell both the Turbo and the Solas for your application.

DonziBuoy
04-10-2009, 06:28 PM
Please send me a link or direct me where I can get more information.

Jim

BigGrizzly
04-11-2009, 07:29 AM
Jim the best way is to talk to someone who has been there and done that. You can contact me if you like. I am not the cheapest but I am good.

mike o
04-11-2009, 08:57 PM
Jim the best way is to talk to someone who has been there and done that. You can contact me if you like. I am not the cheapest but I am good. Id like your opinion. I have a 95 16, 4.3lx 4 barrel, alpha with 1.85 gears. I been running a Merc 23p (48-16320 A4 23p) that came with the boat and a laser II 25 pitch with vents that are not plugged.

The Hedgehog
04-11-2009, 09:28 PM
I have done the through hull on a V-6. It is a fun mod and has a different but good sound. These guys are right, you won't pick up any speed. You will notice a little more throttle response and it will help if you do big power mods.

Talk to Grizz about the props. He knows exactly what is needed for the combo. You will get what you pay for and he will save you a bunch of time. He has been dealing with 16's longer than I have been alive. Literally!

BigGrizzly
04-12-2009, 08:39 AM
First plug the holes, then give me the rpm of both the props with GPS speeds and we may be able to hook you up if you need to be. You may be right on the money, even if they are not my personal choice of props. In my opinion it is $$$ per mile and may not be necessary it becomes your choice. I put handling highest on my personal list.

MOP
04-12-2009, 09:26 AM
Randy I did quite a bit of testing early on with the holes, back when the tech bulletins came out and we had to drill them. I found no difference in top end on any of the boats, some had greatly improved planing speeds and menz a menz results on others. In another resent thread widowmaker another 22 owner had blow out with the holes yet my 22 loves the holes, better out of the hole and no air in the turns. I think most everybody should try them if the get a chance to borrow a prop with them, they may very well be pleased with the results as I am.

Phil

BigGrizzly
04-12-2009, 09:52 AM
I have had plugs blow out and watched the GPS drop. No granted this is above 80 so results may differ. The Honda outboards do not like holes either. There is suppose to be no loss of speed at WFO, I have not found this to be true or false except on my boat. At the lower speeds there is a loss depending on the hole size. Widowmaker has don the testing And have talked to him on more then one ocasion about this subject.

mike o
04-12-2009, 06:05 PM
First plug the holes, then give me the rpm of both the props with GPS speeds and we may be able to hook you up if you need to be. You may be right on the money, even if they are not my personal choice of props. In my opinion it is $$$ per mile and may not be necessary it becomes your choice. I put handling highest on my personal list.Thanks Randy, It will be awhile, got some ice to go away still. Michael