PDA

View Full Version : Water pump ?

Tom Smith
04-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Can anyone tell what punp this is from these pictures. It is on my 1967 Holman Moody Ford 289. I don't know the history of this boat so I have no idea how long the impeller has been in there. Really would like to replace it before the season gets into full swing. Tom

gcarter
04-10-2009, 12:55 PM
Matty or Big Grizzley can help you.

Tony
04-10-2009, 01:10 PM
If you have inconsistent temps even after swapping the impeller, invest in a whole new pump. On my old '67 Ski Sporter I was perplexed, finally realizing that the interior body of the pump was worn such so that even a new impeller could not create enough pumping pressure.

I'm out of town but if you're still seeking to identify that pump drop me a PM and I might still have the numbers of the one I ordered years ago.

:beer:

Speed Racer
04-10-2009, 01:29 PM
My 67 V-drive has a different pump and mount, but I will bet that once you take it off the mount, you will find a Jabsco number on it. Google, and get the check book!

MOP
04-10-2009, 02:52 PM
Most of those were Johnson pumps.

vrod02
04-28-2009, 11:12 AM
Looks like a Jabsco pump #11850-0701 500 buys a new one!:shocking:
The impellor # should be 1210-001 there 22 bucks
Cover plate # should be 11830-0000 there 6 bucks.
Hint the cover plate can be turned over if its worn.:yes:

looks like mine.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e139/vrod02/IMG_0863.jpg

MOP
04-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Put the hose to it before you go and buy a pump, from the look of the photos it has not run in a little while. The problem may not be getting water in but out, I would be concerned about flow from the risers!

vrod02
04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Found this page #85 http://www.jabsco.com/files/section_09_fip_info.pdf The cam is easly flipped 180 with 1 screw. The H/M part may stay on if you deside to replace the bearing and seal. These are very easy units to work on.

BigGrizzly
04-29-2009, 08:51 AM
Actually The pump is the most expensive pump there is I think the number is 11850-701, and comes with the back plate that is removed. The problem is the steel mount the pump is on corrodes and causes a problem. I spaced my mount out to accommodate the back plate so mine id all bronze. They will tell you they don't make the pump. I talked to Chamberlan himself of chamberlan pumps and after giving him the number he had it in stock and I had it in 2 days. I just looked at his web site but do not see it anymore, but am sure he has it. Btw it comes with a pully which I discarded. Actually I could have gotten off the crank style and just did a belt but at the time I though(wrongly) it would be easier. Well at least it is as it came from H&M.

Speed Racer
04-29-2009, 10:52 AM
Yep!
That is the part number.. They are widely available, retail for too much money, but can pull way more water through 1" hose that my 302 needs!!
West marine had it for about 4 bills, various online parts houses, like Defender a bit cheaper. Jabsco is just really expensive!

Note also that they come with a pulley, and bracket for mounting ala alternator style.. I will try to shoot some shots of the rear ( front) of my installation this afternoon when I spash..

GG

mattyboy
04-29-2009, 11:57 AM
I have the Jabsco part numbers at home the biggest thing that most forget is it is a crank driven pump and when you change the impellor you need to change the star shaped bushing that keeps the teeth in the pump and the teeth on the harmonic balancer from mashing together if the teeth mash and you loose one that is a royal PITA

the part number i have is for the impellor the gasket and the star shaped bushing

and i remember the pain it was with the alt. belt I changed that at the same time as the impellor, and that housing you have to start 2 bolts then the other two I re did that thing like 4 times before I finally figured it out

vrod02
04-29-2009, 08:59 PM
Actually The pump is the most expensive pump there is I think the number is 11850-701, and comes with the back plate that is removed. The problem is the steel mount the pump is on corrodes and causes a problem. I spaced my mount out to accommodate the back plate so mine id all bronze. They will tell you they don't make the pump. I talked to Chamberlan himself of chamberlan pumps and after giving him the number he had it in stock and I had it in 2 days. I just looked at his web site but do not see it anymore, but am sure he has it. Btw it comes with a pully which I discarded. Actually I could have gotten off the crank style and just did a belt but at the time I though(wrongly) it would be easier. Well at least it is as it came from H&M.

I did exactly this swap and regret it. For three reasons it raises the pump 12"" and takes longer to get the air out if its a trailered boat. Belts slip and also break. Not to mention the slight HP loss with the belt v.s. crank setup. A pic of my Monza with the cheaper belt style pump

http://webpages.charter.net/vrod02/MMotor.jpg

vrod02
04-29-2009, 09:08 PM
The only advantage of the belt setup vs crank setup is NEWER style 302's, roller rocker cams, can use the 4 bolt pulley instead of the 50 ounce 3 bolt pulley. It can be done with the 3 but pricey for the aftermarket harmonic balancer.

BigGrizzly
04-30-2009, 08:28 AM
I just used the bracket and added a 1/4 spacer to the long studs. This way I avoid the corosion of the bracket. BTW between the crank and the pump there is a star rubber bushing, this is readily available from Northern or tractor supply it is in the hydraulic section ans used as a damper on log splitters etc. a common part. BTW Chamberlin is the cheapest I found but 4 bills sounds cheaper, it has been a while. Also it is one of the most expensive pumps there is. If I was not such a keep it original freak I would have put a PCM cranl driven pump on it and had done with it. I did put the pulley type on the 16 because I just happened to have the bracket lying around, that was 38 years ago and the 302 were common as dog poop. I never had belt slip.