goatee
04-09-2009, 10:12 PM
go wings!

fogducker III
04-09-2009, 10:50 PM
I guess the Canucks are ''other"........:rolleyes::canada:

goatee
04-09-2009, 10:55 PM
poll only allows so many options, sorry.

ChromeGorilla
04-09-2009, 11:16 PM
Where's the "Hockey sucks" option....:biggrin.: I kid, I kid....

boldts
04-09-2009, 11:31 PM
Blue Jackets make the playoffs! No stopping us now!:biggrin:

RedDog
04-10-2009, 12:15 AM
Where's the "Hockey sucks" option....:biggrin.: I kid, I kid....

I don't, I don't...

goatee
04-10-2009, 12:29 AM
ive spent the last month listening to "march madness".
not a big fan of basketball, let alone college b/ball. didnt msu play nc earlier in the year and lose by like 30 pts? big shocker on who was going to win that game.
also hard to follow when its not televised. (other college games that is)

i think if they played on ice, made the "hoop" a lot bigger, and put it on the ground, then melted the ball down and vulcanized it,, maybe then it would be the "coolest" sport on earth!
FULL CONTACT BABY!!!!!!!

the sharks are going to be a force to recon with!
i think right now they are top to bottom the best team in the league.

hoping for a red wings/ bruins cup final.

Carl C
04-10-2009, 06:33 AM
If the Wings lose it'll be because of the poor goaltending. Ozzie gave up his usual 5 goals again last night (counting the 2 shootout goals).:mad:

boxy
04-10-2009, 07:35 AM
If you are going to set up poll, then why not set it up this way ......

1- San Jose Sharks PAC
2- Boston Bruins NE
3- Detroit Red Wings CEN
4- Washington Capitals SE
5- New Jersey Devils ATL
6- Chicago Blackhawks CEN
7- Vancouver Canucks NW
8- Philadelphia Flyers ATL
9- Carolina Hurricanes SE
10- Dark Horse (cause this is Hockey and Cinderella is a CHICK)

If you want to talk Hockey, then let's talk Playoff Match Ups.
The Wings and the Penguins are going to be lucky to make it out of the first round.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20082009&type=PLA

http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20082009&type=DIV

Ed Donnelly
04-10-2009, 08:04 AM
The winners this year will be water related..
The fix is in... Go Leafs Go..................Ed

Tony
04-10-2009, 08:21 AM
The Wings and the Penguins are going to be lucky to make it out of the first round.

Heresy, boxy!
The Wings were 3-0-1 vs. the Ducks this year.
The Sharks are tough, the Ducks are not.

:beer:

boxy
04-10-2009, 08:44 AM
http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=TeamPlayers&type=roster

http://redwings.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=TeamPlayers&type=roster

Playoff Record Wings vs Ducks
Location W L T Win %
All 10 8 0 .556
Home 5 4 0 .556
Away 5 4 0 .556

Anyways the stats don't matter in the playoffs, the Ducks 21 North American players will grind the Wings 7 North American players and win the series.

boxy
04-10-2009, 09:06 AM
If the Wings lose it'll be because of the poor goaltending. Ozzie gave up his usual 5 goals again last night (counting the 2 shootout goals).:mad:

Carl, it's a team game, but you are right, there are only 3 teams in the playoffs that have given up more goals/game than Detroit.
Detroit hasn't had an elite goalie since Hasek was in his prime, and playoffs are all about defence/goaltending.

Chellie's favorite coach ..... :D
ek9m9n8uiw0

boxy
04-10-2009, 09:12 AM
Detroit Playoff Commercial ....

8Me01ToFv1Q

goatee
04-10-2009, 09:59 AM
kind of makes me sick about ozzie. he is an ave. goalie at best!
hasek was the best, (in his prime) buffalo?
conklin has been hot anytime we have played him.
and we never should have got rid of manny.

thomas could take it all, but once chara is out of the way shots on goal will be higher.

as for the ducks,,???
who will be in the net? jsg is not getting it done! they are almost going to be forced to go with hiller.

backstrom is in the top 5 in every stat.
sv.%, gaa, shutouts, and wins.
but will the wild even make the playofs?

goatee
04-10-2009, 10:08 AM
who can stop me?

zelatore
04-10-2009, 10:08 AM
I don't know jack about hockey but I'll vote for my local boys just 'cause somebody's got to show them some support.

boxy
04-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Don, the Sharks are give all kinds of respect throughout the league. They don't get a lot of respect from the MI boys on this board, but that'll change pretty soon.

Ghost
04-10-2009, 12:52 PM
Always been a Caps fan first and a Wings fan second (from my years in Michigan).

I gotta go with the Caps.

Tony
04-10-2009, 01:31 PM
Boxy, I love that Chellios video!
Stevie Y will always be my favorite Wing, but Chelly is a close second.

Are actually picking the Ducks over the Wings?
If so, it sounds like we've got a side bet...

yeller
04-10-2009, 02:01 PM
I don't think they'll make it past the second round, but I have to stay loyal to my all time favorite team.........GO BRUINS!

mattyboy
04-10-2009, 02:03 PM
all you need is a hot hand either from a center or winger or even a goaltender, As much as I hate about every other team in the league for one reason or another in the second season an old tired saavy veteran like broduer can will his team to a win. If the caps start rolling with alex and a few defensemen who can score they can be a handful. last nite's flyer ranger game is a perfect example great goaltending will win games the flyers were all over the rangers henric pulled out some wild saves and we as always gave up soft goals. we have lost some physical presence with injuries, the rangers are the healthiest team in the league, the canes til last nite were tuff at home.
Timing and location is everything it always seems the west is given an opponent for the cup that has been thru a battle to get their 12 wins while the higher seeds in the west are sweeping their series against inferior teams.
I mean in the east there are bitter rivalries every which way but loose

ny boston
ny flyers
ny devils
pens flyers
habs boston
flyers boston
flyers devils

I mean the west coast mentality just doesn't lend itself to blood fueds or maybe it is not covered like it is back east

so in the west even a blind legless dog can get table scraps if someone drags him under the table ;)

with Danny healthy and rested now finding his stride I like our chances, now if the rangers can slow down boston for a long drawn out series

GO Flyers

yeller
04-10-2009, 02:13 PM
The east never sees what is happening in the west because it just doesn't get the same type of coverage. Anyone that follows all of hockey, knows there are some BITTER feuds out here.

Tony
04-10-2009, 03:06 PM
Matty, I do agree about the rivalries in the east, but there are also some healthy ones in the west. I never liked the re-aligned divisions, since Detroit rarely plays the Original Six teams in the East...Rangers, Bees, Habs.

One big disadvantage about the Western Conference is the travel schedule, though. While Detroit is basically an eastern city geographically, they travel many, many more miles than the Eastern Conference teams. This is especially grueling at playoff time, with a potential 7 game series against a team that is 2,000 miles and 3 times zones away. Some teams in the East virtually never have to travel to the west coast.

mattyboy
04-10-2009, 03:13 PM
what are they?? and how bitter, I don't have time to follow every box score If you can find them. too much other sports stories here and hockey has a great following here in NYC but it is like a cult following the yankees mets jets giants , nets and knicks sell papers, hockey is last until this time of year football is done, so are the knicks . baseball as not really started in ernest and the devils and rangers are in the playoffs. seriously the east coast menatlity never forgets you can hear chants in the garden heckling players that haven't laced them up in decades it's NY city who gives a rats azz what happens across the river that's the country out there ;)

it is much different than Canada were hockey is an intergral part of life, baseball was like that here now football has taken over.

I have to get my hockey on the internet or PPV NY City hates Philadelphia and in Philly theres is no love lost or brotherly love for NY City it is pretty much a Hate Hate relationship in everything. I can only watch so much devil. islander ranger hockey The maven should just go away ;)

mattyboy
04-10-2009, 03:35 PM
Tony I would agree wholehartedly with that. the cities are very close in the east and have other sports team that play so it is a rivalry in hockey baseball football and basketball NY Boston NY Philly. Ny Baltimore I don't know if Boston and Baltimore hate each other I know they hate NY more ;)

I heard a interview with Don Mattingly today on NY radio and he was saying how laid back it was coaching for the LA dodgers the media the fans he actually sounded mellow which is totally different from his tenacious manner in which he played and coached in NY we lovinly called it DONNY baseball.

I'll tell you a funny story I have been a flyers fan since 1973 or so when My older brother took me to a few Flyers rangers games . i was like 12-13 and proudly wore my flyers jersey in the blue seats at the garden the rowdiest die hard rangers fans held those seats, so i got heckled nothing like what goes on today back then it seemed more friendly . so back to the story we are in the mens room lined up to take a leak so it is my turn and two ranger fans take up spots next to me and start with hey this kid is either crazy wearing that jersey here or he is one tough mother. so knowing my older brother and 2-3 of his monsterious friends are right behind me I jump up on the partitions between the stalls and started yelling I am one crazy tough Mutha you want a piece of me well my brother and his friends almost wet their pants laughing and I made the two guys piss all over themselves they had no clue how to react. now a days that would have lead to gunplay or a riot .

Tony
04-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Of course the first one to come to mind is Detroit - Colorado. (From 1996 to 2002, the Avs and Wings met in five playoff series, three times in the Western Conference Finals. In those seven seasons, the teams combined to win five Stanley Cups, so the road to success in the West led out of the Motor City or Mile High City.) In 1996 Claude Lemioux crushed Kris Draper from behind into the dasher resulting in major facial reconstruction. In the '97 playoffs an epic payback fight saw Darren McCarty pummel Lemoiux as he turned turtle and covered up his head during the beatdown. Even the goalies, Mike Vernon and Patrick Roy, got involved.

Since re-alignment, Detroit has no fondness for Nashville, nor for St. Louis...but those are moot points because the Wings have dominated recently. Nothing fuels a rivalry like competition.

Regarding other Western Conference teams...San Jose and Dallas do not like each other, and Edmonton vs. Calgary is a battle for the pride of Alberta. Probably nothing like the long-time eastern rivalries, I admit. There are too many dang expansion teams, and most of them are in the West!

BTW, Matty, the Flyers/Rangers rivalry gets named one of the top three according to this link:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=408137

goatee
04-10-2009, 08:14 PM
agreed, avs. wings. is big. (or was) all but over now.
but,,,,east has the most. cities close together ect. i would agree.

but back to the game,,, who is going to play net for the ducks?????
top to bottom sharks have to be the fav.
i love tim thomas but, "all the way"?
im a die hard home team fav.
but boston is my second fav. team.
v.c. a close third.
doesnt mean i think they will win the cup though.
if it is the sharks or wings playing for the west,,,? its all over!
if not,, and the bruins or caps or devils are on a roll, (short series4-5 games each) they have a chance.

i have been waiting for a detroit/boston cup final since i can remember!
i dont know what i'll do if this is the year.

Ghost
04-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Yep, Baltimore hates NY far more than Boston. In fact, with Boston giving NY fits of late in baseball, Baltomore has halfheartedly adopted the Red Sox, just to stick it to NY. OF course, the Ravens SuperBowl is about the only leg up we've had on NYC in a long time.

It's so weird. I grew up with the Orioles of the 70s. Always 1 or 2 in the east.

But hockey is its own little world down here, not really tied to anything else. Mostly the Caps hate Pittsburgh. Since Baltimore has no NHL team, Baltimore fans are Caps fans, and the Pittsburgh thing bleeds over a bit from football to hockey, but that's about it. (And for those of us still smarting from the 1979 World Series.)

mattyboy
04-10-2009, 09:12 PM
Yep, Baltimore hates NY far more than Boston. In fact, with Boston giving NY fits of late in baseball, Baltomore has halfheartedly adopted the Red Sox, just to stick it to NY. OF course, the Ravens SuperBowl is about the only leg up we've had on NYC in a long time.

It's so weird. I grew up with the Orioles of the 70s. Always 1 or 2 in the east.

But hockey is its own little world down here, not really tied to anything else. Mostly the Caps hate Pittsburgh. Since Baltimore has no NHL team, Baltimore fans are Caps fans, and the Pittsburgh thing bleeds over a bit from football to hockey, but that's about it. (And for those of us still smarting from the 1979 World Series.)

well if 1979 smarts then 69 must burn like a sum bitch the amazin mets, never mind the gaurantee from joe willy ;)

mattyboy
04-10-2009, 09:51 PM
then there is this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JY0OqhZJFLw

goatee
04-11-2009, 09:40 AM
sunday 2 pm red wings vs. penguins on espn game of the week.

mattyboy
04-11-2009, 09:49 AM
well last 2 days of the regular season in the west things are pretty much set maybe some flip flops in the 6 thru 8 seeds in the east the 4th thru 8 seeds can change 7 and 8 can flip flop and the 4th 5th and 6th seeds can finish any where in those spots with home ice for grabs

we have to take advantage of the game in hand a beat two division rivals the isles and the rangers if that happens we get the 4th seed and home ice and either the canes or the pens

mattyboy
04-11-2009, 09:54 AM
sunday 2 pm red wings vs. penguins on espn game of the week.

espn is carrying the NHL????? not in my neck of the woods is that a local broadcast, the only nhl coverage here that is not local cable for the 3 local teams is VS ??? and nbc

do you mean the wings and the hawks on nbc??? the pens finish the season today with the habs

again this is a baseball town the yankees and the mets have their own cable stations they carry the isles the devils and rangers but if there is a baseball game hockey gets bumped to the local community cable station

mattyboy
04-11-2009, 10:24 AM
Goat

you scared me I thought we had a game in hand on both the pens and the canes ;)

I would be interested in hearing what kind of coverage other people get in different areas of the country and in Canada

Tony

i think the style of hockey in the east is a little diffent than out west the west plays a more european more wide open and speed were in the east it is a more physical check and grind game not to say all east play that way or that all west teams don't get physical.physical games lead to a rival more so then just loosing.

also repeat engagements fued alot of rivalries the isles vs flyers and flyers vs ranger they always met in the playoffs for the patrick division in fact the isles and the flyers met in the finals for the cup in 1980 just as the isles became a dynasty and the broad street bullies watch the game change and their style of hockey fade away .that started the fued it was the only time that i know of that two teams from the same division played for the cup due to the re seeding after each round

goatee
04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
ooops! my bad ,, it is nbc
comcast channel 99 is canadian, and does have game of the week also.
or no wait,,, "hockey night in canada" sat.
oilers/flames on now.

im watching sat. night live news thing. (wheres amy poler)?shes hot

ok, back to hockey

boxy
04-12-2009, 07:02 AM
So the playoff match ups are set. It's a wierd feeling, this is the first postseason in 11 years that the Sens aren't at the party. Oh well, I'm throwing my support behind the Caps in the East and the Hawks in the West.

Montreal makes it into the 8 spot with 93 points. Last week Boston was up 2-1, let Montreal score 3 unanswered in the second, and let them weasel their way into a 5-4 OT loss.
That OT point let them tie Florida for 8th, and they now face Boston in the first round.
You can never count those c0ckroaches out, and Boston let them into the party.

Matty, to answer your TV question....
TSN, RDS (french TSN) SportsNet, and CBC all carry games here on regular cable. There is pretty much a game on every night, and usually 3 every Saturday ( 3-7-11). Given time zone changes I could probably watch 10-15 games a week at no extra cost. Now the Centre Ice package is a whole other animal.
Now that the playoffs are going to start we should be able to watch every game of every series.

Hockey is sort of important up here :D :D

Here is a Molson ad from the lockout
30mMlN8FSFE

and the follow up ad when the strike was over
oqE2ZK6PqLQ

mike o
04-12-2009, 07:27 AM
When I'm in Quebec in the winter, I love watching the Canadian Junior hockey games on the tube. Its a totally different hockey experience. Quite the game in the NCAA final last nite. Heartbreaker for Miami.

goatee
04-12-2009, 08:59 AM
im a bit jealous boxy.

boxy
04-12-2009, 09:03 AM
Goat, you need to get a Windsor PO Box and a Bell ExpressVue dish .... :D

mattyboy
04-12-2009, 09:51 AM
we got 2 minutes on sports center on espn this morning they said everything is set for the playoffs, but home ice is still up for grabs with us and the pens

goatee
04-13-2009, 04:41 AM
i think n.y. picking up sean avery was a smart move.
noone likes him, but he can produce the #'s!
i mean when push comes to shove,, he is a presence on the ice.

Ghost
04-13-2009, 08:54 AM
well if 1979 smarts then 69 must burn like a sum bitch the amazin mets, never mind the gaurantee from joe willy ;)

Somehow I missed this for a coupla days.

I bet you're right about that for many around here. It was before I was old enough to know what baseball was, so I missed it.

boxy
04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
Here is the Play Off Schedule for the first round....
http://www.nhl.com/ice/schedulebymonth.htm?navid=NAV|SCH|Month

Looks like I could catch every game...
Looking forward to the Flyers/Pens series, I hope Richards kicks Crosby's whining ass all over the ice.

boxy
04-15-2009, 06:16 PM
Flyers/Pens on TV now....
3 big hits in the first 2 minutes.

boxy
04-15-2009, 06:24 PM
Ruh Row Matty, the Flyers are down 1-0 already.

Tony
04-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Playoff hockey is the best! Despite the score (a lot of hockey left in this one, Matty & Steve) that was a great period. It's hard to describe the extra gear they possess, and the uptempo pace, that the playoffs produce.

Guys flying at each other, a Pen with two cotton rolls stickin' out of his nose and a mouth full of blood, vigorous face-washing after every crease whistle. There is nothing better in all of sports!

boxy
04-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Tony, playoffs are great, but it doesn't have the same feel this year... :frown::frown:

boxy
04-15-2009, 08:01 PM
Matty, Tony, Goat, Ghost, check www.cbc.ca every morning for highlights from all of the previous nights games....

goatee
04-15-2009, 09:06 PM
go pens!

mattyboy
04-15-2009, 09:08 PM
fugly

Ghost
04-15-2009, 09:14 PM
Doh! We're down a game already...

Tony
04-15-2009, 09:53 PM
Andy Murray is having a very hard time concentrating on his coaching duties.
Right behind his St. Louis bench is a blonde in a Canucks jersey with an enormous pair of hooters on her! :biggrin:

Ghost
04-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Andy Murray is having a very hard time concentrating on his coaching duties.
Right behind his St. Louis bench is a blonde in a Canucks jersey with an enormous pair of hooters on her! :biggrin:

http://www.supernova19.com/forumcw/Smileys/classic/TTIWWP.gif (javascript:void(0);)

HOOT-ERS! HOOT-ERS!

goatee
04-16-2009, 12:59 AM
so true!
i love hockey, but i love "other" things more.

i got to watch the blues/canucks game. kind of a crappy game. way too many whistles. off sides/penelty calls. v.c won 2-1 (shoulda been 3-1)

bolts, i give your boys credit. it is a step in the right direction. but the door is about to be slammed in your face.

mattyboy
04-16-2009, 05:26 PM
obviously I have done something to offend the hockey gods

not only do we get our teeth kicked in but somehow the broadway blues and the swamp rats both get wins so there is no solace for a flyers fan the brew after work was too brutal it could have been a 12 yr old single malt served by jennifer anniston in a g string and on the house , it was just not worth it to listen to ranger and devils fans spouting their bull****, surely if their is a spirit that looks over the frozen playing field, that has ever laced them tight to skate they will surely open up a sink hole at exit 16w while the devils are on their warmup and the rangers are taking the bus thru the tunnel at the same time .

:rolleyes:

boxy
04-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Matty, my friend, I think your Rangers angst will be over in 6 games or less, but I'm afraid you might be stuck with the Devils fans for a while.....

Hang tough.

mattyboy
04-16-2009, 06:35 PM
if marty can post a few shutouts and the devils can score 2 or more they will be real tough to beat

we need our marty to post a few easter eggs and we will be ok

u wood a thunk the rangers won the cup last night

Tony
04-16-2009, 10:11 PM
Wings win 4-1, with a very solid game from Osgood.

Blackhawks & Flames going into OT...sh!t, I gotta go to bed!

goatee..."go Pens"???...wtf are you thinkin'???

goatee
04-16-2009, 10:20 PM
i hate the flyers

Tony
04-16-2009, 10:27 PM
i hate the flyers

That's fine...then just hate them both! :biggrin:

I would love to see a Bruins/Wings finals...:worthy:

goatee
04-16-2009, 10:52 PM
i dont know what i would do if that happens.

goatee
04-16-2009, 11:08 PM
ducks made a huge call (i think the right one too) and started hiller over giggy.
will it be enough?
sharks are bad a$$ this year
2nd intermission and its goose eggs.

a big team is going down in this series!

mattyboy
04-17-2009, 06:15 AM
hate is good

hate is big in the city of brotherly love

hate can get you thru the day :yes:

mattyboy
04-17-2009, 07:13 AM
we got to see 2 games well one really there was no way i could stay awake thru the second

vs had the wings game was nice to see a hated ex flyer score a goal for nashville Rj was a big part of team not sure what the late game was

so tonight

we get 3 games on our cable plan

flyers on vs
rangers on msg
devils on fsn

and i guess we'll get the other western game after the flyers on vs

so Goat there are alot of ex flyers around

you can hate the canes too, the blue jackets twice they have ex flyer coach

I mean it just doesn't get any better for you

:tongue:

mattyboy
04-17-2009, 07:21 AM
a little hate to get u thru the day ;)

oh the rink rat gotta love the rink rat

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y7uoPudspq8

mattyboy
04-17-2009, 09:49 AM
I didn't realize Stu was the flyers first announcer, makes sense why they picked him to do ROCKY

goatee
04-17-2009, 10:17 AM
keeps me warm at night

players are different, when players i like go to flyers, it complicates things.
i wish them well and a good game, but a lose none the less.

boxy
04-17-2009, 12:20 PM
Tough night to be a Sens fan....

Chara scores the winner for Boston, and Havlat ties the game, and scores the OT winner.........

I'll be watching the Bruins game tomorrow with my Dad, they better win, or we will be short 1 TV. :cussball:

mike o
04-17-2009, 03:03 PM
Bruins beat-em and slapped em (c0ckroaches) around alittle too. Good stuff.:biggrin:

mattyboy
04-17-2009, 03:13 PM
sorry Mike

all I can think of when someone says Bruins

is this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82169M6sf6Q

mattyboy
04-17-2009, 03:14 PM
anyone remeber this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnCO33mBUpA

mike o
04-17-2009, 03:26 PM
sorry Mike

all I can think of when someone says Bruins

is this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82169M6sf6Q Here ya go Matty...the Hammer...http://www.prosportsmemorabilia.com/Dave-Schultz-Philadelphia-Flyers-Autographed-8x10-Photograph_-947662233_PD.html Dave and Terry O the good old days.

mattyboy
04-17-2009, 03:36 PM
o'reilly kicked dave ass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofgE7DXvvWo

mattyboy
04-17-2009, 09:28 PM
no joy in mudville tonight

boxy
04-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Carter will wake up in a cold sweat tonight...... That was their game. There are 8 year old girls in my neighbourhood that could have buried that goal.

Ghost
04-18-2009, 03:02 PM
For cryin out loud. That was really a frustrating 3rd period to watch. Caps down 2-0. Time to get something going...

mattyboy
04-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Carter will wake up in a cold sweat tonight...... That was their game. There are 8 year old girls in my neighbourhood that could have buried that goal.

Boxy,

if they loose this series that play will haunt me like the nystrom shot from 1980 for the rest of my life. and there is no living with the rangers fans :rolleyes:

well the weather is warmed up the docks go in today the toon shortly thereafter the golf league starts for me monday at 4 pm looks like the golf season might start soon for the flyers but none the less i will be in front of the TV today yelling and screaming trying to get the boys going they need to defend the home ice and go back to pitts tied 2 up if not

like mickey said

I didn't hear no bell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ag06EL7g0g

Tony
04-19-2009, 09:46 AM
Wings win 4-0, go up 2 games to none.
First line and fourth line players are scoring.
Power play goes 5 for 8.

Columbus...welcome to playoff hockey. Posers.

mattyboy
04-19-2009, 04:55 PM
game on ;)

goatee
04-19-2009, 11:12 PM
its almost like a couple of the flyers forgot the rules the other day.
knuble crosscheck right in front of the ref. NOWHERE near the play.
then seconds later, short handed someone decides to slash at a stick.
its too bad it cost them the game.

these guys are making the refs job pretty easy

as for the west you got sharks and ducks. (hiller) the back-up got the start and is showing his stuff.
two powerhouse teams here! good chance one of these teams will win the cup if they can get passed wings.
its 1-1 at san jose right now. late 3rd. period

osgood has been known to be a very "streaky" net minder.
when he's hot, hes hot!
when he's not, he lets them in from the blue line.
so far he's been quite good.

goatee
04-19-2009, 11:16 PM
2-1 dusks
10 min left in reg.

mattyboy
04-20-2009, 07:09 AM
need the caps and ovie to to attack gonna be tough playing in that building tonight.

the ducks up 2 0 so are the canucks up 3 0 could be some sweeps out west with such a discrepancy in talent from top to bottom as tony pointed out posers

sidney and mally the whiners always yacking at the refs did you see what he did to me wah wah wah . that call on richards today at the blue line was total bull****, that 's ok we are used to playing shorthanded all year and we can still stick a shorthanded goal up fluery ass.

the water is frozen sidney so no diving ok ;)

the next game is war penalty minutes will be high and as long as we can take one or two of them with us we are golden we showed resilancy and heart after they came back to tie we skated harder and picked up the hitting
agree the penalties in ot in game 2 were stoopid and an bad refelction on the game that they skated well.

I can't believe the words are coming out of my mouth

go caps

Ghost
04-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Thanks for the Caps support--don't feel guilty. :)

(If anyone didn't catch it live or on SportsCenter, Cheechoo's goal against the Ducks in the 3rd last night was a workmanlike thing of beauty in their losing cause.)

boxy
04-20-2009, 01:33 PM
need the caps and ovie to to attack gonna be tough playing in that building tonight.
the ducks up 2 0 so are the canucks up 3 0 could be some sweeps out west with such a discrepancy in talent from top to bottom as tony pointed out posers
sidney and mally the whiners always yacking at the refs did you see what he did to me wah wah wah . that call on richards today at the blue line was total bull****, that 's ok we are used to playing shorthanded all year and we can still stick a shorthanded goal up fluery ass.
the water is frozen sidney so no diving ok ;)
the next game is war penalty minutes will be high and as long as we can take one or two of them with us we are golden we showed resilancy and heart after they came back to tie we skated harder and picked up the hitting
agree the penalties in ot in game 2 were stoopid and an bad refelction on the game that they skated well.
I can't believe the words are coming out of my mouth
go caps

Matty, CBC is streaming the next Philly game live, they are carrying the Boston/Montreal game on the network, but you can catch the Flyers on cbc.ca

mattyboy
04-20-2009, 01:46 PM
this round is good Boxy vs or nbc has all the philly games and I get to see the rangers and devils on my cable pkg.

next round will be a different story

i guess i am watching hockey tonite they pulled the plug on the opening round of my golf league we are getting a Nor'easter today

go caps go habs

goatee
04-20-2009, 09:36 PM
great game tonight in mtl.
they never gave up, and its going to be sad to see them go but,,,they are going to take second place in the first round.

boxy
04-20-2009, 09:41 PM
A pretty good night .......
The Caps finally start scoring, and the Bruins silence the most obnoxious fans in the NHL. I didn't even have to listen to them sing that pain in the ass Oh Ley song. Classy fans, their team gets beat 4-2 with an empty net, and they are booing them, not the Bruins, as they leave the building.

beWKml7IlPA

boxy
04-20-2009, 09:42 PM
great game tonight in mtl.
they never gave up, and its going to be sad to see them go but,,,they are going to take second place in the first round.

Sad for who ???

Not for anyone in Canada who isn't a Habs fan to begin with.

mattyboy
04-20-2009, 09:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8PUxtydWlI

the caps took the ny crowd right out of tonites game

boston sports are outlawed here in ny no highlights at all :tongue:

boxy
04-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Matty, I LOVE that clip ........ :yes::yes:

goatee
04-21-2009, 07:42 AM
im a lil bias for the original 6 teams.
nice to see b/hawks in it too.

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 01:23 PM
im a lil bias for the original 6 teams.
nice to see b/hawks in it too.

not sure where the term original 6 came from

but it is a misnomer at best the surviving 6 maybe
from wikipedia
talk about the NHA's future.[6] Their discussions eventually led to the creation of the National Hockey League on November 22, 1917. Three former NHA franchises, the Canadiens, Wanderers and Senators were founding members of the NHL, along with a new Toronto franchise. Because of the dispute, the Toronto team was given temporarily to the Toronto Arena Corp to operate, and is often referred to as the Arenas, though they operated without a nickname.[7][6]

.[8] The NHL then started a process of expansion: the Boston Bruins (the first U.S.-based NHL franchise) and Montreal Maroons entered the league in 1924–25; the New York Americans and the Pittsburgh Pirates entered in the 1925–26 season; and the New York Rangers, Chicago Black Hawks (now spelled Blackhawks), and Detroit Cougars (now known as the Red Wings) entered in the 1926–27 season, raising the number of teams in the NHL to ten. The Great Depression and the onset of World War II, took a toll on the league, and by 1942 the NHL was reduced to six teams. These six teams (the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, Detroit Red Wings, Chicago Black Hawks, Boston Bruins, and New York Rangers) are collectively known as the Original Six, and for the next quarter-century were the only teams in the National Hockey League.

The Original Six is a term for the group of six teams that composed the National Hockey League (NHL) for the 25 seasons between the 1942–43 season and the 1967 NHL Expansion. The name is a misnomer, since there were other NHL franchises that went defunct before 1942. The name the Original Six comes from the 1967 expansion which added 6 teams. The "Original Six" teams playing at the time of the expansion played in their own division after expansion. The 6 expansion teams and the original six, hence the name "Original Six". Only two of the six teams were members of the NHL in the inaugural 1917–18 season, but all six do date from the NHL's first decade, and predate the other 24 teams currently in the league by over forty years.

The Original Six teams are:

Montreal Canadiens (founded 1909; charter member of the NHL in 1917)
Toronto Maple Leafs (original Toronto St. Pats franchise was charter member of the NHL in 1917; renamed Maple Leafs in 1927)
Boston Bruins (founded 1924)
New York Rangers (founded 1925)
Detroit Red Wings (founded 1926; moved from Victoria, BC; originally named Cougars, then Falcons)
Chicago Blackhawks (founded 1926, known as the "Black Hawks" throughout the period)

but I would agree those 6 teams laid the ground work and foundation of what we know as the NHL
BUT since the 67-68 expansion season til the 07-08 seasom with the strike year 39 seasons the expansion teams lead in stanley cups over the original 6 by 23 to 16

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 06:41 PM
and after the 67 expansion who was the first "expansion" team to win the cup??

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 08:03 PM
not good skating well but down 2 -0 going into the 3 rd short- handed

need a little help here Kate we know you're watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4WCZD0hGBA

devils down 3-0

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 08:50 PM
uuuugggggg down 3-1 going back to the pitts the devils tied it up late in the third

damn no joy in muddville again

mattyboy
04-21-2009, 09:00 PM
with 2/10 ths of a second holy **** the canes win

goatee
04-21-2009, 10:19 PM
drives me crazy when people forget our national anthem. (not the words, the song itself)
its a disgrace and disrespectful! :mad:
flyer fans should write their congressmen,,,,or something:mad::mad:

good game on cbc. the blues will not take a hint and go away!
i think too little too late though:lifeprese:
we in o.t. 2-2:nilly:

goatee
04-21-2009, 10:27 PM
cbc axed the flyers game after 1 period to go too vc/blues.
canadian station, canadian team, okay i guess. whatever....

..and the media will talk about,,,,whatever???? but when it comes to det. they do little more than give a score. :confused:

yeller
04-21-2009, 11:06 PM
and after the 67 expansion who was the first "expansion" team to win the cup??Although they weren't part of the 67 expansion, I believe the first expansion team to win was St Louis.

fogducker III
04-21-2009, 11:13 PM

..and the media will talk about,,,,whatever???? but when it comes to det. they do little more than give a score. :confused:

Get use to it.........should be a Canuck thing at the end of the day......:lookaroun::wink::yes:

boxy
04-22-2009, 06:47 AM

I told you where to find it .... :D

www.cbc.ca streamed the rest of the game live.

Carl C
04-22-2009, 07:03 AM
not good skating well but down 2 -0 going into the 3 rd short- handed

need a little help here Kate we know you're watching

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4WCZD0hGBA

devils down 3-0

Was out national anthem sung also?? God Bless America may be easier to sing but this is hockey not American Idol. What's up with six "other" votes? Columbus? hahahaha

Red Wings Rock

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 07:43 AM
Goat, Carl

No to my knowledge they sing God Bless America instead.

they have been singing God Bless America in Philly since the early 70's

and if you think that song is disgraceful or an insult just another reason to hate us

that is a tradition in philly

THE LEAGUE HAS NO PROBLEM WITH IT, Neither do I

I am surprised that two hockey fans don't know the history behind Kate Smith, God Bless America and Philly

If it bothers you two as an Americans write a letter to the league

got to say I have never heard disgraceful and God Bless America in the same sentence :rolleyes:

Yeller, after the 67 expansion, the unamerican, disrepectful,commie Flyers won in 74-75

and I would like to know where all the other teams were when the russians came thru the league in 76 ???seems i recall it wasn't the original 6 or any other team that stood up to them, no they all rolled over like wimps we may have lost but we kicked their ass so hard they left the iced :yes:

GOD BLESS AMERICA
GOD BLESS KATE SMITH

GO FLYERS

:yes:

Carl C
04-22-2009, 08:31 AM
Goat, Carl
No to my knowledge they sing God Bless America instead.
they have been singing God Bless America in Philly since the early 70's
and if you think that song is disgraceful or an insult just another reason to hate us
that is a tradition in philly
If it bothers you two as an Americans write a letter to the league
got to say I have never heard disgraceful and God Bless America in the same sentence :rolleyes:
:yes:

OK, who is "us". You are in New York. You should be pulling for the Rangers;).

The Star Spangled Banner is a horrible song but it is our national anthem. It's no big deal I guess but personally I think it should not be replaced unless it is officially replaced as our national song. Nothing to do with the God reference.

Red Wings All The Way!

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 08:46 AM
Carl,

where does it say the national anthem needs to be sung at a pro sporting event.

I believe it more has to do with honoring the flag and America and can be just raisng the flag, the Pledge of Allegience, The Anthem, My Country tis'of thee, God Bless America.

the hate remarks was to Goat has he said he hates the flyers.

but you avoid the question you has a hockey fan don't realize the connection to that song and the flyers or the song and Kate Smith??? please don't look it up you are spending far too much time on the PC and not enough time on the boat

and if you 2 are so outraged or offended perhaps a letter to the tv stations that cut away to a commercial during the salute to the flag or the Anthem/s??? that happens in all sports the stations consider it a TV time out??

sorry not a rangers fan been a Flyers fan since I was 10 years old

goatee
04-22-2009, 08:58 AM
a customer was walking out just then and she was pissed as well. she was the one to call it "unamerican". i do agree though.:lightning
we have a national anthem, and it should be respected!
i did not know that was a tradition in philly
i WAS not going to use it as another excuse to hate the flyers, as i would be pissed no matter what city. (but to find out now that it is tradition????):shocking::shocking:
come on now.

i think of our service men and women who have passed in the line of duty.
(no matter how long ago) ie. 1812 when our anthem was written.
and i think it is disrespectful.
i dont care that the song has the name "america" in it.
so does "american pie"
so does "bullet the blue sky" by u2
so does born in the "usa" (ok, not "america" but,,you get the meaning)

its hard to imagine someone starting a "tradition" by breaking another more important one, and its even worse than anyone else would buy into it.

whos more the fool? the fool? or the fool who follows him?:nilly:

"cuz the name on the front is a hellava lot more important than the name on the back!" -the movie "miracle"

goatee
04-22-2009, 09:05 AM
dont know how to quote stuff on the board, but i agree with you carl.
if it doesnt matter than why have a nation anthem?
i think it is a beautiful song though.
i agree with matty in that we should honor the flag/country, but i think that is why we have a national anthem.

Carl C
04-22-2009, 09:07 AM
I like "If I Had A Hammer" if just any patriotic song can be sung. Matty, NBD, didn't know about that tradition. I'll google it later.:salute: Let's see, what could they sing instead of "O Canada"?

GO WINGS!

goatee
04-22-2009, 09:10 AM
bastille day
by rush

goatee
04-22-2009, 09:12 AM
#1 ducks leading the sharks
tie for #2 canes keeping up, and vc sweep.
(no suprise on the win, just didnt see a sweep coming)

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 09:18 AM
a customer was walking out just then and she was pissed as well. she was the one to call it "unamerican". i do agree though.:lightning
we have a national anthem, and it should be respected!
i did not know that was a tradition in philly
i WAS not going to use it as another excuse to hate the flyers, as i would be pissed no matter what city. (but to find out now that it is tradition????):shocking::shocking:
come on now.
i think of our service men and women who have passed in the line of duty.
(no matter how long ago) ie. 1812 when our anthem was written.
and i think it is disrespectful.
i dont care that the song has the name "america" in it.
so does "american pie"
so does "bullet the blue sky" by u2
so does born in the "usa" (ok, not "america" but,,you get the meaning)
its hard to imagine someone starting a "tradition" by breaking another more important one, and its even worse than anyone else would buy into it.
whos more the fool? the fool? or the fool who follows him?:nilly:
"cuz the name on the front is a hellava lot more important than the name on the back!" -the movie "miracle"

I guess I am a fool, but I am smart enough to know that God Bless America is far from un American and it is not a pop song or a title but a song that has meaning.

Our Anthem may have been written in 1812 but was not adopted as such for quite some time after that My Country Tis of Thee was also used until they adopted the current anthem.

sorry you think the song or the tradition is un American, My Father Major Joseph Veth United States Army WWII thought it was a very Patriotic gesture when he heard it. Perhaps the Senate was un American for signing it on the steps of the capitol after the attacks of sept 11th

again I am a fool please show me where it says the Anthem has to be played at a sporting event???

and please if you are going to use analogies please make sure they are on topic not pops songs but songs that honor america

oh well I guess I am a fool , un patriotic, and a bad American

I think I have had about enough of this nonsense and insults

zelatore
04-22-2009, 09:26 AM
Wow. Who would have thought a fight would break out on a hockey thread?
:popcorn:
(I have an opinion, but I'll keep it to myself just this once)

goatee
04-22-2009, 09:33 AM
thats funny zeltore!!!

but no, i meant no insults, and i do not think the song is unamerican.
i think it is a beautiful song. but one that has its place!

here is a copy paste for you:

The lyrics were inserted into the Congressional Record, and there was a movement to make the song our national anthem. Kate addressed Congress, imploring its members not to do that. She argued that the Star Spangled Banner was written during a battle (Francis Scott Key wrote it during the War of 1812). It fact, she recorded it on the flip side of God Bless America.

even she argued NOT to do that.

but,, no matter.
its over, i move on

and yes maybe, my analogies may have been a lil over the top,, sorry.

goatee
04-22-2009, 09:34 AM
im still laughing at zeltore!!!!!

roadtrip se
04-22-2009, 10:45 AM
over the years by over-hyped and un-talented singers, that it is a relief to hear it sung properly and with respect any more.
Martina McBride did a great job at the Super Bowl and acapella, no less.

I see nothing wrong with letting Kate belt out God Bless America or even better yet, Lee Greenwood sing "I am Proud to be American" instead.

Anybody that gets worked up over a great patriotic song being played instead of another Anthem slaughtering really has too much time on their hands.

As for the fighting, how about that hit last night in the mid-second period of the Detroit/Columbus game. Completely legal, but that guy didn't know what area code he was in afterwards, and then came back to skate. But I know, the Wings aren't a hitting team...

goatee
04-22-2009, 11:19 AM
agreed on the talent statement.
and i have no problem with singing god bless america.
my only problem is the "instead of", rather than "in addition to".

and again, my apologies for earlier statements.
i get a lil rambunctious when im trying to make a point.

if you took all the people on this board who i love and respect the most,,,
matty, your right at the top of that list!
even if you do misspell guinness every now and again.:beer:
so please dont hit the ignore button just yet.

i missed the entire wings game. thats the problem with working a later shift.
the next series, vc/ducks,, then i'll be able to watch the game!!!

goatee
04-22-2009, 11:26 AM
polls only allowed for so many options, hence the "other"
should we do it over after first round?
is there a way to do two polls? one for loyalties, and one for where you would put your money? although NOW,, i think for me, they are one in the same

Tony
04-22-2009, 11:33 AM
...how about that hit last night in the mid-second period of the Detroit/Columbus game. Completely legal, but that guy didn't know what area code he was in afterwards, and then came back to skate. But I know, the Wings aren't a hitting team...

Brad Stuart totally annihilated R.J. Umberger.
He staggered off the ice, no doubt seeing stars...and we're not talking Datsyuk, Zetterburg, Lidstrom, and Hossa!

Carl C
04-22-2009, 11:38 AM
Matty, it is all good. Don't get mad. I truly like "If I Had A Hammer" and also "This Land Is My Land". "America The Beautiful" is a good one too. I am OK with the tradition of singing "God Bless America".

I'd change it to "God Bless The Red Wings" though:):wink:

Ghost
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Mad props to Don for the hockey/fight comment. I just saw this and laughed out loud.

I always wondered about the tradition of singing anthems before sporting events. I eventually concluded it was a bit like saying grace before a meal. A way of saying thanks for the sacrifices others have made, and the good fortune that allow us to, in leisure, sit down and simply enjoy such an event. In a sporting event, a mass luxurious indulgence, it strikes me as a healthy context-check.

(For some reason, during the anthem, entirely unintentionally, I nearly always think about guys in foxholes, and how much I owe them for the things I have.)

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 02:12 PM
let me make this perfectly clear, i don't think that God Bless America is some how disrepectful or dis graceful to this country or any Veteran.

Again I ask where is it written that the Anthem be played before a game??If there is a written rule I will be the first to write to the flyers to stop it.

From what i understand they don't use God bless America all the time now as they did in the past

I believe Ghost has it right it is a time to pause and honor America, give thanks and respect to the liberties afforded us by our Veteran's and the oppourtunity to live in a free country.

I have run the little league in town and the CYO basketball program for over 10 years and I made it mandatory for the Anthem to be played on the fields or courts that had sound systems or if one of the Kids in the school band wanted to play or if they wanted to sing God bless Armerica that was ok too. and on the fields or courts that didn't have sound systems at least the Pledge to the flag was said i know what it means and what it represents
and everyone uncovered so in that respect you are preaching to the choir.
I thought it would atleast teach the kids that it was something special and they would remember that.

I was wrong
and they do sing the national anthem mostly by lauren hart daughter of the long time flyer radio guy gene hart and they bring out kate Smith and God Bless America during the playoffs as a tribute to the record held by the Flyers when that song was sung by kate I think it was during the longest unbeaten streak they had as well. I feel it is done in good taste, and does honor America in a respectful manner.
I hope the people offended by this were equally outraged when that fat cow roseanne made a mockery of the Anthem or by the tv stations that cut away for that part of the game!!!!!!

lauren hart
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sPvHPfEWDVY

kate smith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gktXAlOGc6c

yes that is 36-3-1 for the record and bobby orr and phil espo shaking her hand after wards

mike o
04-22-2009, 02:51 PM
Although they weren't part of the 67 expansion, I believe the first expansion team to win was St Louis. 73-74 flyer beat the bobby orr - espo bruins to win the cup in Boston. Alot of the flyers on that team where in the bruins farm sys lost to expansion. B Clarke, R Leach and several more if i remember. They won the cup in boston garden 1-0. B Clarke played his heart out and shut them down.:yes: Bobby Clarke is one of my all time favorite hockey players. And "knuckles" Chris Nilan drafted dead last in the NHLhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77HH2nIEJMk

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 03:26 PM
mike you're right it was 73-74 season they won their first it was 74-75 they won their second against the sabres

vented fell much better this guy lightened me up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ujq0OGgEtI

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 05:44 PM
i'll get the ranger game tonite, not sure if vs has a game on tonite, they had the last ranger game but it was blacked out so they went to a ufc show instead of putting one of the other teams and the rangers game was on msg

mattyboy
04-22-2009, 08:20 PM
agreed on the talent statement.
and i have no problem with singing god bless america.
my only problem is the "instead of", rather than "in addition to".
and again, my apologies for earlier statements.
i get a lil rambunctious when im trying to make a point.
if you took all the people on this board who i love and respect the most,,,
matty, your right at the top of that list!
even if you do misspell guinness every now and again.:beer:
so please dont hit the ignore button just yet.
i missed the entire wings game. thats the problem with working a later shift.
the next series, vc/ducks,, then i'll be able to watch the game!!!

:) :beer:

boxy
04-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Was out national anthem sung also?? God Bless America may be easier to sing but this is hockey not American Idol. What's up with six "other" votes? Columbus? hahahaha

Red Wings Rock

Carl, I can't speak for the other guys, but I'm pretty sure my vote, and fogdockers vote were thrown behind the Canucks....

We may revisit this subject if the Wings get out of the next round.

Tony
04-22-2009, 10:00 PM
Carl, I can't speak for the other guys, but I'm pretty sure my vote, and fogdockers vote were thrown behind the Canucks...

The 'Nucks advance. Two words...Roberto Luongo. He is red hot.
The Conference Finals may just be Wings vs. Canucks, should the Sharks falter against the Ducks, or in their second round.

Oh, ye of little faith. Didn't you also question whether they'd survive the first round?
I'm guessing you are anxious for Detroit's ouster because they are so formidable!
I'd love to see a Wings/Blackhawks series...

goatee
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
i was doing this off the top of my head, i dont know how the canes and flames made it and vc did not. what was i thinking?
if there were just a couple more options on the poll thing.
should we do another after round 1?
we'll do the 8 teams and 9-10 will be:
"someone from east"
"someone from west".....huh? huh????
it'll be like roulette, you can pick a number or wimp out and go for the black or red.

boxy
04-22-2009, 10:39 PM
The 'Nucks advance. Two words...Roberto Luongo. He is red hot.
The Conference Finals may just be Wings vs. Canucks, should the Sharks falter against the Ducks, or in their second round.

Oh, ye of little faith. Didn't you also question whether they'd survive the first round?
I'm guessing you are anxious for Detroit's ouster because they are so formidable!
I'd love to see a Wings/Blackhawks series...

Tony, in fairness to my earlier post I didn't think the Wings would be facing the Walmart Greeters of the NHL.... :D

Come on, who names their hockey team after a bunch of old guys who spend the better part of their day trying to pin a smilie face sticker on you while they fight with a rusty cart......

Ghost
04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
Ruh-roh. Caps' backs to the wall.

yeller
04-23-2009, 01:10 AM
and after the 67 expansion who was the first "expansion" team to win the cup??

Although they weren't part of the 67 expansion, I believe the first expansion team to win was St Louis.

Yeller, after the 67 expansion, the unamerican, disrepectful,commie Flyers won in 74-75
I had to look it up because I was sure St.Louis won a cup back then. Turns out I was wrong on both accounts. They were part of the 67 expansion, and they have never won the cup. They did go to the finals in 68,69,70 though, which is probably were I got the incorrect memory of them winning it. Not only did they not win the cup, but in those 3 finals, they never even won one game.

I do agree with you matty..........the flyers are a bunch of commies. :wink:

Carl C
04-23-2009, 06:12 AM
Carl, I can't speak for the other guys, but I'm pretty sure my vote, and fogdockers vote were thrown behind the Canucks....

Yeah, I know that the Canucks were suspiciously missing from the poll. No one would vote for Columbus. The Wings are playing very well and may get the sweep tonight but they have not been tested yet. If Ozzie stays solid in goal I don't see any team beating them though.

Wings, Sweep?

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 08:09 AM
a hot goalie can mean alot Henric was pretty great last night and fluery was like an out of body expierence against us in game 4

I have not seen any of the boston series but my money would be on them in the east I think Goat is right there.

I was amazed how childish broduer behaved after that lost, I sorta miss the old days when they were stay at home goalies, you came out of the crease and you paid the price now it is like a legal proceeding to many if's , thing is now can he put it a side and not let the canes get in his head??? I would look for marty taking a penalty or 2 whacking people near him.

hard for me to say but i think the flyers are one and done like they have been in years past, tonight will be a good game either way if we fall behind it will bring new meaning CHIPPY.

if we go out i will have to throw my support to the canes or the bruins there is no way in hell I could route for any other patrick division team :tongue:

and for olie and the caps a split on the road is usually a good thing IF you defend your home ice

well i did spend some time on the course the other day trying to get some rounds in before the course get crowded with more hockey players ;)

Tony
04-23-2009, 09:11 AM
Tony, in fairness to my earlier post I didn't think the Wings would be facing the Walmart Greeters of the NHL.... :D

Come on, who names their hockey team after a bunch of old guys who spend the better part of their day trying to pin a smilie face sticker on you while they fight with a rusty cart......

You're right, Steve, I do remember...at the time it looked like our first opponent would be the Ducks, who are actually playing the Sharks pretty tough right now. Clever analogy on the "BlueJackets"! They are finding out the hard way what it takes to compete at this time of the year.

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 09:17 AM
Boxy,

our local wally mart has a greeter that does karoake too, oh boy it is like the gong show chucky baby chuck baby GENE GENE and the dancin machine

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACpNVD5GMUw

Marie has decided to leave the house tonight she knows I will be a wound up ,yelling scream head case tonight.

Come on Boys get me to game 7, SHOW ME SOMETHING

goatee
04-23-2009, 09:27 AM
ive see more of the bruins series than anything. bruins are hot!!!
and im happy for that. i want a boston/det. cup final.

goatee
04-23-2009, 09:33 AM
we've beat the canes, we've beat the pens, we've beat the flyers,,
I WANT BOSTON!!!

and i dont like these teams meeting us in the final and thinking there some kind of "rivalry". your not our rival! you were just all the east had this year.
i.e. canes.....

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 09:41 AM
the wings did beat much of the Atlantic well except for the islanders how'd that happen?? Goat I bet the NHL is hoping for that matchup too that would be a big market match up good ratings great history if they get a san jose carolina match up they are not going to be happy and it won't do much for the sport or their ratings

so next year the central is to play who the SE or the NE???

goatee
04-23-2009, 10:24 AM
makes me wonder??? maybe , maybe not.
wings are stuck in the west and that will NEVER change. as the wings are keeping the sport alive there. (friend lives in az. tickets are a dime a dozen until wings are in town, then they are 100 a piece)
wings get little or no airtime in the media. makes me wonder if nhl isnt wanting these southern teams to win to boost the sport in otherwise "hockey challenged" towns...????
media always praises canadian players ect. kinda like that

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 02:59 PM
Goat
my son is going to college in Phoenix and has gone to alot of games he is a rangers fan , for the most part him and his friends buy discount nose bleed seats and then cause it is not sold out they move down, all except when boston, detroit,ny or the leafs or habs come into town then it is sold out

AZ is the fastest growing retirement state in the union, alot of northerners there still route for their old teams

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 07:20 PM
come in Toronto
hello Toronto

no goal

ducked a bullett there

boxy
04-23-2009, 07:38 PM
makes me wonder??? maybe , maybe not.
wings are stuck in the west and that will NEVER change. as the wings are keeping the sport alive there. (friend lives in az. tickets are a dime a dozen until wings are in town, then they are 100 a piece)
wings get little or no airtime in the media. makes me wonder if nhl isnt wanting these southern teams to win to boost the sport in otherwise "hockey challenged" towns...????
media always praises canadian players ect. kinda like that
UH Goat, I think you mean the wings are keeping the South West alive. I'm pretty sure Minnesota, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver, Colorado, Los Angeles, Dallas, and San Jose don't need Detroit's help....

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 07:42 PM
2 down

good effort that period

20 minutes boys

finish every check

go flyers

btw I didn't know there were so many olympians on the pens I hope the US diving coach knows what his divers are doing in the off season ;)

mattyboy
04-23-2009, 08:40 PM
good game boys
no tee times for us

game 6 back in philly

wings on the verge of bustin out the broom

devils up 1 0

Tony
04-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Wings sweep.

Free-wheeling, high scoring affair, with Franzen jamming home the game-winner with 45 seconds left for a 6-5 final. Two goals for Hossa, he is looking very strong.

Dumbass BlueJackets had a too many men on the ice penalty with 90 seconds left in the game...obviously it cost them big-time. I love the hand-shake tradition. Tear their heads off one minute...all is forgotten the next. Sportsmanship at its best!

goatee
04-23-2009, 10:35 PM
good point boxy

mattyboy
04-24-2009, 07:04 AM
the red wings game had the guy who does the score break updates on VS working over time.

Carl C
04-24-2009, 07:26 AM
So who does Detroit play next?

Ghost
04-24-2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_pHQekIZxU

goatee
04-24-2009, 10:11 AM
the red wings game had the guy who does the score break updates on VS working over time.
thats funny you mention that. rember how i said the media diss' the wings?
i was watching hockey last night, and their highlites from the days games consisted of 1 still frame of columbus with 6 men on ice, blue jacket catain going crazy ver the call, and the game winner video clip. thats it! the "highlites started at 5-5.
next game, i get to see almost every goal scored with pens/flyers. no less then 4 video clips of goal being scored.

and carl, i have not checked but i think it may be the ducks.
IM FINALLY GOING TO BE ABLE TO WATCH A RED WING GAME!!!!!!!

mattyboy
04-24-2009, 10:34 AM
Carl, the wings started as the 2 seed
it goes by what seed they are if san jose doesn't pull thru then the wings are the highest seed and will get the lowest seed left as goat said it will be the ducks if san jose wins they( the wings) get the next lowest seed from the 3 vs 6 matchup and san jose gets the winner of the 4 vs 5 matchup. if san jose looses it will be the the 8 seeded ducks

I do have to say one thing for the coverage on VS they have a blonde that does the off ice interviews who reminds me of Stifler's mom not a bad looking woman, then i finally stayed up for the western game and they have a younger version doing the same thing for western games hockey hotties you go VS

Goat I was surprised too usually they don't cut in but i guess cause of the possibility of elimination they cut into the flyers game alot last nite.

well i have family in baltimore and the jimmys down there are great not to mention my aunt's crab cakes and it will give me no better satisfaction then to hear the rangers fans at the bar sitting in silence so

GO CAPS

mattyboy
04-24-2009, 10:48 AM
I noticed alot in last night's flyers game
the pens came out fast as usual and i said this is not good we looked slow out of time not hitting up until the last 5 minutes of the first period
the pens still hit us last night, boucher hit hartnell and knocked him into next week then skated across the ice and repeated on Carter, it was just the wake up those 2 needed they both picked up their games after that .

biron played well but i got to tell you I thought it was over when mahlkin scored that goal to tie, after the replay it was definetly kicked in and they reversed the call that was it the pens were lifeless after that which i didn't understand it was like they gave up, they were on the power play and dumped the puck in and never skated in to get it?? Knuble did a great mind game on mahlkin at the end mahlkin was trying to get back at knuble and wasn't paying attention to the puck . I would have pushed harder and skated harder to end it there and not go back to philly for a game 6 with the flyers hitting stride and gathering momentum coming back home

sat will be a great hockey game and on NBC

Carl C
04-24-2009, 11:31 AM
OK, got it. At least the Wings will be well rested. Washington would be interesting. We'd get to beat up on Federov.......:nilly:

mattyboy
04-24-2009, 12:14 PM
carl, Washington???

you are getting way ahead of your self

washington would need to pull off a big come back and then get thru the rest of the east mainly the bruins

then the wings would have to fill their end of the bargain they have taken step one

are you sure you follow hockey ??? :rolleyes:

goatee
04-24-2009, 09:16 PM
they did "cut in" alot,, thats true.
but the recaps later on, one photo, one clip. i mean the highlights they showed started when the score was 5-5...:bonk:

not sure it lasted a grand total of 60 seconds.
wings have the largest fan base, what are they thinking?

boxy
04-25-2009, 05:40 AM
they did "cut in" alot,, thats true.
but the recaps later on, one photo, one clip. i mean the highlights they showed started when the score was 5-5...:bonk:
not sure it lasted a grand total of 60 seconds.
wings have the largest fan base, what are they thinking?

Goat.... largest fan base where.... Detroit?

The myopic view some Red Wing fans have in regard to hockey is pretty funny. Contrary to popular belief in Michigan, the sun doesn't rise and set on the Red Wings ass ..:D

It's was a 6-5 win over a vastly inferior team, the only hilights were the bluejackets partial comeback. You'll get your TV time when you play somebody worthy.

goatee
04-25-2009, 06:40 AM
as far as fan base, id put the wings up against any team in the league.
even the media who at times seem to shun them, have said how it doesnt matter where you are, there are always red wing fans present.
and if you are at a stadium close to det. like ohio wis. you can even hear the "lets go red wings" chant.:yes: (dont think its ever happened in chicago though)
i dont care how weak the team,or sport is in the community, anytime you go to another arena and hear your own chant,,, (on the tv) thats impressive!!!

goatee
04-25-2009, 06:52 AM
as for coverage? this is playoffs!!
this isnt some throw away game in rochester! (ive been waiting to say that)!!!
right after the det/columbus highlites i got to see pens/flyers highlites that covered no less than 4 videos of goals. so it wasnt like they were pressed for time. idk,, maybe its all in my head but it does at times seem like the media down plays the wings.
i listened to a coversation between two guys, one saying how its not even fun to be a wing fan or watch the wings because its too "robotic" everyone from the owners to the managers to the players has a job and they do it well.
too well! like its common place.:confused:
the other guy laughed and said, "yeah i bet they are so tired of having stanley cup parades down woodward every year.":screwy:
of course he was just being sarcastic. but c'mon!! has it really come to bitching about "how" we win now? is that all ya got?

boxy
04-25-2009, 03:39 PM
I wonder if it's a function of who holds the rights to the video feeds....

Who is broadcasting the Wings games in the States?
Are they affiliated with ESPN, or does ESPN have to pay marketing fees to that network, and they figure that the Wings are going to the second round so why waste that money now....

I've got to admit that not seeing highlights is a foreign concept to me. We have two National Sports Networks and the CBC that carry extensive hockey highlights. Hell they even broadcast the Draft Lottery results live on National TV (the Islanders got the #1 pick by the way).
Trade Deadline Day is morning to night coverage like a National Election.

I really think you need to get a Windsor PO Box and a Bell ExpressVue dish ... :D :D

goatee
04-25-2009, 03:44 PM
thats an interesting thought. i wonder

goatee
04-25-2009, 03:59 PM
but too good not to have hear as well

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57155&page=4

mattyboy
04-25-2009, 04:03 PM
I wonder if it's a function of who holds the rights to the video feeds....
Who is broadcasting the Wings games in the States?
Are they affiliated with ESPN, or does ESPN have to pay marketing fees to that network, and they figure that the Wings are going to the second round so why waste that money now....
I've got to admit that not seeing highlights is a foreign concept to me. We have two National Sports Networks and the CBC that carry extensive hockey highlights. Hell they even broadcast the Draft Lottery results live on National TV (the Islanders got the #1 pick by the way).
Trade Deadline Day is morning to night coverage like a National Election.
I really think you need to get a Windsor PO Box and a Bell ExpressVue dish ... :D :D

not sure but that makes sense VS is not carried by all cable companies in the NYC tristate area so the 2 ranger games that were due to be aired by VS were blacked out and put back on MSG network so the NY fans could see the game I don't understand why they would not put on the bruins game instead of UFC??? does look like the chicago game is on VS tonight for us at 9pm

damn a nail biter here 3 3 going into the 3rd

come on boys skate hard 20 minutes make em count

and I hate the NBC coverage Panger talking thru penalties about a play so five minutes ago

someone please make them stop ;)

boxy
04-25-2009, 05:50 PM
WTF ..... who the hell schedules a playoff game at 3:00 PM on a Saturday afternoon...... :mad::mad::mad:

Now I have to wait till the West coast start....

goatee
04-25-2009, 06:05 PM
WTF ..... who the hell schedules a playoff game at 3:00 PM on a Saturday afternoon...... :mad::mad::mad:
Now I have to wait till the West coast start....

i thought this was common place on weekends. early games on sat. and 12 noon games "game of the week" on sunday.?
even during playoffs

mattyboy
04-26-2009, 03:55 AM
have fun guys we are out

so

let's go Boating

here we go Boating here we go

boxy
04-26-2009, 05:42 AM
i thought this was common place on weekends. early games on sat. and 12 noon games "game of the week" on sunday.?
even during playoffs

It would be common place in the US when there is a full slate of games, but to hold the only game on the East Coast at 3:00 PM, then have nothing on till 10:00 PM doesn't make sense.
I'd love to see their TV market share from yesterday.

goatee
04-26-2009, 09:03 AM
have fun guys we are out
so
let's go Boating
here we go Boating here we go
i missed the end of that game. did vs. just cut awat to bus racing before it was over?

mattyboy
04-26-2009, 10:42 AM
not sure the game was on nbc here and after the crosby wrap around empty netter I switched over to the nfl draftthen the yankee game then when out to turn on the battery charger for the toon's battery
we are boating today

mattyboy
04-26-2009, 10:45 AM
not sure the game was on nbc here and after the crosby wrap around empty netter I switched over to the nfl draft then the yankee game for awhile , then when out to turn on the battery charger for the toon's battery
we are boating today :yes:

probably will watch the devils later today the rangers and caps should be on NBC at 2pm by 2pm I will be putting the toon thru her paces

mattyboy
04-27-2009, 10:07 AM
spent all day out on the boat and got back in late didn't catch anything but rays yesterday looks like the house of cards is crumbling on the rangers and the devils game 7's in both series the ranger fans I know are :nilly::yes:

Ghost
04-28-2009, 12:24 AM
Looks like the Ducks just killed the Sharks. Nice shot by Getzlaf, completing the Gordie Howe hat trick.

boxy
04-28-2009, 05:53 AM
Heresy, boxy!
The Wings were 3-0-1 vs. the Ducks this year.
The Sharks are tough, the Ducks are not.

http://ducks.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=TeamPlayers&type=roster
http://redwings.nhl.com/team/app?service=page&page=TeamPlayers&type=roster
Playoff Record Wings vs Ducks
Location W L T Win %
All 10 8 0 .556
Home 5 4 0 .556
Away 5 4 0 .556
Anyways the stats don't matter in the playoffs, the Ducks 21 North American players will grind the Wings 7 North American players and win the series.

Boxy, I love that Chellios video!
Stevie Y will always be my favorite Wing, but Chelly is a close second.

Are actually picking the Ducks over the Wings?
If so, it sounds like we've got a side bet...

Hey MI boys, It's on now......

Carl C
04-28-2009, 06:14 AM
Rangers/caps....game 7.... 2nite

Looking forward to this one!

mattyboy
04-28-2009, 07:40 AM
Rangers/caps....game 7.... 2nite

Looking forward to this one!

rangers yeah right the coach benches avery for being avery then the coach goes avery hey security guy he his calling my players gay, if you don't make him stop I am gonna shove my stick up his azz :tongue: too funny YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP

friday nite and sunday were great days to be at a bar with ranger fans,
with faint chants another 54 before another cup, 1940 !!!!! 1994 !!!!! 2048!!!!!

hockey ends in the NY city metro area tonite the rangers and the devils gone tonight both loose game 7

hey sean, henric and marty that number again is 1800-TEE TIME :RLOL:

Carl C
04-28-2009, 08:32 AM
rangers yeah right the coach benches avery for being avery then the coach goes avery hey security guy he his calling my players gay, if you don't make him stop I am gonna shove my stick up his azz :tongue: too funny YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS STUFF UP

friday nite and sunday were great days to be at a bar with ranger fans,
with faint chants another 54 before another cup, 1940 !!!!! 1994 !!!!! 2048!!!!!

hockey ends in the NY city metro area tonite the rangers and the devils gone tonight both loose game 7

hey sean, henric and marty that number again is 1800-TEE TIME :RLOL:

Avery is a brawler, not a hockey player. That is why Detroit sent him packing........

Federov was awesome while in Detroit but hasn't done much since getting a fat head and leaving a few years ago.

Anyway it will be a good game. It will be fun to watch Ovechkin in action in a game 7.

boxy
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
Avery is a brawler, not a hockey player. That is why Detroit sent him packing........
Federov was awesome while in Detroit but hasn't done much since getting a fat head and leaving a few years ago.
Anyway it will be a good game. It will be fun to watch Ovechkin in action in a game 7.
Carl, Avery a brawler??? Are you kidding, he makes Franklin the Turtle look tough....
Avery is a rat, an effective rat, but a rat none the less. He's never fought when he can run.

boxy
04-28-2009, 09:12 PM
There is JOY in Greenwood Lake tonight, the Rangers are gone, the Devils are gone and Matty is gone.... to the bar to enjoy a drink in peace and quiet.... :beer: :)

Ghost
04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
Woohooo Caps!! Nice little dink feed to set up the gamewinner by Fedorov. Pretty weak for 2 periods, but a strong third.

Tony
04-28-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey MI boys, It's on now......

Bring 'em.
The Wings are well-rested, playoff savvy, and have a hot goaltender.
Should be a good series, but I say...Detroit in six.

mattyboy
04-28-2009, 09:53 PM
I told you guys the NYC teams were done not has good has the flyers moving on to the next series but the 3-1 series lead gag choke job will give me some solace with the rangers fans avery limping off the ice was a nice touch

let's go canes let's go caps

Air 22
04-28-2009, 09:57 PM
Canes Win 4-3

Boston Next.....:pimp:

goatee
04-28-2009, 11:48 PM
hmmmm, hiller is hot.
i think ozzie is hurt. (or was) i hope he's better by now.
wings in 7
ducks are no push over.

goatee
04-28-2009, 11:50 PM
ozzie hasnt been tested yet.
and he did let 5 goals in that last game:lifeprese:

Lenny
04-29-2009, 08:03 AM
gotta wonder why the Canucks were left out. :(

OTHER

Tony
04-29-2009, 08:50 AM
Nice to see Sergei Federov get a big goal. I liked him while he was in Detroit, he just did not want to play any defense.

I agree the Ducks will not be an easy series. Very few are any more, especially as the playoffs progress. Hiller is indeed on a hot streak, and Pronger leads all players in plus/minus. Plus, Pronger always comes to play, especially so in the postseason.

Haven't heard anything about Osgood's injury, which is no surprise since they never reveal any factual details about injuries during the playoffs.

I'm pulling big-time for the Blackhawks to get by the 'Nucks, and for the Wings to send the Ducks back to sunny CA (where hockey just does not belong!) to set up a dream Conference final between Chicago & Detroit.

I'd also like to see a Bruins vs. Pens Conference final, that would be good for ratings, but I'd want Boston to advance and face the Wings because of my affinity for the Original" (or is it the "surviving") Six. But...it would also be cool to beat the Pens for the Cup like we did last year.

By the way, here is a very cool site for playoff stats. Everything you can think of, and sortable, too.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm?fetchKey=20093ALLAASAll&sort=plusMinus&viewName=plusMinus

Ghost
04-29-2009, 10:16 AM
Wings in 5
Caps in 7
Canucks in 6
Bruins in 5

boxy
04-29-2009, 10:30 AM
Once I have checked with my MI Proxy, I will entertain all Ducks/Wings wagers....

6 pack for a 6 game win for the Ducks seems simple... :beer:

Tony
04-29-2009, 07:11 PM
Once I have checked with my MI Proxy, I will entertain all Ducks/Wings wagers....6 pack for a 6 game win for the Ducks seems
simple... :beer:

You're on, Steve...you've got the Quacks, I've got the Wings.
No matter how many games it takes, a 6-pack to the winner.

Checking with your proxy? Whaddya got, a direct line to Mike Babcock or something?

boxy
04-29-2009, 09:05 PM
You're on, Steve...you've got the Quacks, I've got the Wings.
No matter how many games it takes, a 6-pack to the winner.

Checking with your proxy? Whaddya got, a direct line to Mike Babcock or something?

I just have to make sure my Michitucky friend will collect all my winnings for me, until I can catch up with him....... :D :D

goatee
04-29-2009, 10:24 PM
lol!! this is great. i just love this sport:)
i havent seen rt in a long time. hell,,, i havent seen anyone in a long time.
no disrespect to vc, but i would like to see blakhawks, and eventually boston.
i am going to say wings over ducks in a long heart pounding,:shocking: nail biting, grind you to the boards,:mad: edge of your seat, down to the last second:nilly: series.:yes::popcorn:

:pimp:<---hi my name is ovechkin

roadtrip se
04-30-2009, 09:24 AM
I'm good for a six pack on the Wings over Ducks...

And I like craft-made Canadian beer, not that watered down Canadian Budweiser known as Labatts or Molsons...

goatee
04-30-2009, 10:09 AM
can i trade for a 30 pack of milwaukee's beast?
i mean best
just kidding

goatee
05-01-2009, 11:05 PM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/goatee7272/wings%20ducks%205%201%2009/th_Picture018.jpg (http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/goatee7272/wings%20ducks%205%201%2009/?action=view&current=Picture018.flv)

goatee
05-01-2009, 11:07 PM
http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/goatee7272/wings%20ducks%205%201%2009/th_Picture019.jpg (http://s235.photobucket.com/albums/ee86/goatee7272/wings%20ducks%205%201%2009/?action=view&current=Picture019.flv)

zelatore
05-01-2009, 11:42 PM
I'm pulling big-time for the Blackhawks to get by the 'Nucks, and for the Wings to send the Ducks back to sunny CA (where hockey just does not belong!) to set up a dream Conference final between Chicago & Detroit.

Come on, give us a break. Have you seen how badly the rest of our our pro teams here in the bay area suck? (Giants, Raiders, 49ers, A's, Warriors) At least with the Sharks we had a team with a chance.

(I'm still PO'ed the Ducks whipped em, and I don't even follow hockey!)

goatee
05-01-2009, 11:52 PM
both power teams no doubt, but still an upset.
im just kind of glad because now we have home ice!

hiller got the loss, but he played a decent game.
theres no doubt in my mind though, he heard me.:yes:
HIIIIIIIILEEEEEEEEEER
HIIIIIIIILEEEEEEEEEER
i love getting under goalies skin.

Tony
05-02-2009, 09:25 PM
My son was at the game, his first time experiencing the playoff atmosphere. :yes:

Hudler got blindsided with a vicious blow to the head, took 10 stitches, and played the rest of the game. (see pic)

Franzen scored a sweet goal, and then freight-trained Hiller flat on his azz! (see pics)

Lidstrom stepped up big-time...

http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/36/8e/54/30/d0b49b0dee5623a9f73ef891.jpg

http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/6c/32/1c/d1/83/18/20090501212141_2009-0501-dm-wings2.jpg

http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/1a/1e/c7/98/37/35/20090501203727_2009-0501-dg-wings0115.jpg

goatee
05-02-2009, 10:45 PM
my first and my sons first as well.
i posted a couple videos on the previous page.

mattyboy
05-05-2009, 06:22 AM
I would like to say to the ducks and wings fan thank you that triple overtime game kept horse jumping off the tv ;)

hey Sid sorry a hat trick just ain't good enough

ok hockey fans we know what a Gordie Howe is anyone know what a Mario LeMieux (sp) is???

goatee
05-05-2009, 07:48 AM
:confused: no clue.

did anyone else see the cross-check to the face/neck area on the caps goalie?

is it me? or has hockey just got worse over the years?
i honestly would not mind if the league reserved the right to review any and all games to dish out penalty's or suspensions for future games.
im not saying i want EVERY minor thing called, but dirty stuff like that needs a suspension.:yes:

goatee
05-05-2009, 07:51 AM
hey matty, i posted a couple videos on the previous page.
what do you think of detroit's karen newman?
she can really belt it out there...... smokin hot too!!:yes:

mattyboy
05-05-2009, 08:19 AM
:confused: no clue.
did anyone else see the cross-check to the face/neck area on the caps goalie?
is it me? or has hockey just got worse over the years?
i honestly would not mind if the league reserved the right to review any and all games to dish out penalty's or suspensions for future games.
im not saying i want EVERY minor thing called, but dirty stuff like that needs a suspension.:yes:
I think the game has changed some what over the years, back in the day the game was physical but more hip checks and body play. The goalies were stay at home stand up stay in the crease. Now the players are bigger faster the european style has taken effect wide open play speed passing more stick work good and bad. now the screen is in play get a big guy up in the goalie face shoot the puck on goal , get in his head, I see alot of players in the crease but the puck isn't there yet or on a centering play the players wind up skating into the net which is another story I don't like the break away net I don't like the eastern or western confernce but I digress what happened to wales ,smythe, patrick??.
the game has become less physical and alot of the players revert to the stick more than the body. If you saw a game from 72 or 73 it is more brutal but some how more civil more body work. today it is less brutal but when someone steps out of line it seems to be way over the line.
I will say Goat in the 70's a few guys went to the pokey and spent a night locked up for assualt and that was after a fist fight, some of these stick plays are way beyond that
BTW
yes she did a nice job

roadtrip se
05-05-2009, 09:55 AM
Are you talking about the one that went into the crotch the other night?

Ouch. I hope that cup was kevlar...

Up late tonight.

goatee
05-05-2009, 09:40 PM
totally agree matty.
vc is out playing chicago, but they will have to get the dirty/penalties under check. det. will make them pay on the scoreboard.

Tony
05-06-2009, 08:51 AM
Stuart rocks a Duck as he is about to touch the puck, and gets a bullsh*t interference penalty. Ducks go up 2-0.

One minute left in the third, loose puck in the crease, tapped in by Hossa, but the ref lost sight of it and blew his whistle...a split second after Hossa put it in the net! No goal and, worse yet, unreviewable.

Hopefully these unfortunate events are a wake up call for the Wings, and they get their azzes in gear. It is not that I mind owing boxy beer...I just cannot stomach the thought of losing to a team called the Ducks!

http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/da/3e/c6/a9/c6/85/20090506020359_2009-0505-dg-wings1229a.jpg

http://multimedia.detnews.com/pix/37/bf/91/06/3c/d4/20090506020449_2009-0505-dg-wings1248.jpg

boxy
05-06-2009, 09:26 AM
Stuart rocks a Duck as he is about to touch the puck, and gets a bullsh*t interference penalty. Ducks go up 2-0.

One minute left in the third, loose puck in the crease, tapped in by Hossa, but the ref lost sight of it and blew his whistle...a split second after Hossa put it in the net! No goal and, worse yet, unreviewable.

Hopefully these unfortunate events are a wake up call for the Wings, and they get their azzes in gear. It is not that I mind owing boxy beer...I just cannot stomach the thought of losing to a team called the Ducks!

Tony, I agree with you on the second point, but the right call was made on the interference penalty.

The wings need to play tougher.

goatee
05-06-2009, 09:29 AM
horrible officiating!

roadtrip se
05-06-2009, 11:06 AM
and the refs call the game.. Total crap. Couldn't they have done that earlier?

yeller
05-06-2009, 09:52 PM
Totally agree with you Matty. I love the hip check, but unfortunately the players are faster now and harder to hit.

What I REALLY hate is the way they all turn their back to the opponents when against the boards so they can't get hit. In the old days, it took guts to go into the corner because you knew you were going to get creamed. But they did it anyways because you'd be a puss* if you didn't.

Tony
05-06-2009, 09:55 PM
The #1 seeds are in some trouble...Boston and Detroit both down two games to one to 6 and 8 seeds, respectively. Underdog enthusiasm is a powerful force, and the favored Original Six teams better win the next game or face a deep sh*t hole to dig out of. My dream of a Bees/Wings final is a bit tenuous right now!

Two more OT games tonight...man they are fun to watch!
Malkin is starting to play well, he made a couple very impressive moves, as did Sid the Kid.

Air 22
05-06-2009, 10:23 PM
Carolina Hurricanes' Jussi Jokinen (36), of Finland, shoots the puck past Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas (30) to win the game with Bruins' Shawn Thornton (22) and Hurricanes' Joni Pitkanen (25), also of Finland, looking on during overtime of Game 3 of an NHL hockey Eastern Conference semifinal series in Raleigh, N.C., Wednesday, May 6, 2009. Carolina

Ghost
05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
The #1 seeds are in some trouble...Boston and Detroit both down two games to one to 6 and 8 seeds, respectively. Underdog enthusiasm is a powerful force, and the favored Original Six teams better win the next game or face a deep sh*t hole to dig out of. My dream of a Bees/Wings final is a bit tenuous right now!

Two more OT games tonight...man they are fun to watch!
Malkin is starting to play well, he made a couple very impressive moves, as did Sid the Kid.

Must...not...think...about that now. Lost to the Pens in OT tonight. Must...stay...focused.

mattyboy
05-07-2009, 07:32 AM
the hip check is back sid got knocked on his ass just about a minute before the game winning goal.

watching your team go out in the first round $78 bucks for party supplies and 2 days of heartbreak, maybe next year philly

watching the rangers choke on a 3 -1 series lead, and the devils loosing in round one $0 bucks on round of drinks at the bar for all the caps fans and canes fans, a summer full of ball bustin on the rangers fan priceless

go ducks use the flying Vee :tongue: go caps

goatee
05-07-2009, 11:27 AM
a win tonight ties the series at 2 each
a loss means we have to win the next three in a row.

lets go red wings!!!!!!!

boxy
05-07-2009, 09:42 PM
Ruh Row ...... :nilly::nilly:

Not a good start for the Europeans from Detroit. 42 seconds into the game and they are down 1-0...

Tony
05-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Ruh Row ...... :nilly::nilly:

Not a good start for the Europeans from Detroit. 42 seconds into the game and they are down 1-0...

WTF!!! :shocking:

Then, Datsyuk cannot finish on his breakaway 30 seconds later.

I will be plenty pissed off if we drop this game tonight...:nilly:

goatee
05-07-2009, 10:10 PM
have no fear, franzen is here!

Carl C
05-07-2009, 10:24 PM
WTF!!! :shocking:

Then, Datsyuk cannot finish on his breakaway 30 seconds later.

I will be plenty pissed off if we drop this game tonight...:nilly:

Don't worry Tony. Things are looking up now. The ducks can't keep up that intensity.

goatee
05-07-2009, 10:46 PM
franzen x 2!

as for intensity? idk... they are doing pretty well. and they handled the sharks well enough.
i still think we will move on to the conf. finals

Tony
05-07-2009, 11:13 PM
4-2 Wings!

Hossa scores...and then scores again on a power play just as the 2nd period ends!
He has worked his azz off and it is good to see him rewarded.
What a quick release he has...

The Franzen/Cleary/Hossa line has all four goals.

goatee
05-08-2009, 12:22 AM
Goat.... largest fan base where.... Detroit?
The myopic view some Red Wing fans have in regard to hockey is pretty funny. Contrary to popular belief in Michigan, the sun doesn't rise and set on the Red Wings ass ..:D
It's was a 6-5 win over a vastly inferior team, the only hilights were the bluejackets partial comeback. You'll get your TV time when you play somebody worthy.
game just ended at the duck pond, and it was very clear,, OZZIE! OZZIE!
announcers did say you could hear "lets go red wings" chant. whether or not it was audible on tv? idk,, i didnt hear it but i wasnt giving 100% attention all the time.
i did see alot of red in the stands.
and i did think it was quite loud when we scored. REAL loud!
it was like the ducks scored,, but no horn.

and thats on the other side of the country, in the playoffs!

mike o
05-08-2009, 05:58 AM
Carolina Hurricanes' Jussi Jokinen (36), of Finland, shoots the puck past Boston Bruins goalie Tim Thomas (30) to win the game with Bruins' Shawn Thornton (22) and Hurricanes' Joni Pitkanen (25), also of Finland, looking on during overtime of Game 3 of an NHL hockey Eastern Conference semifinal series in Raleigh, N.C., Wednesday, May 6, 2009. Carolina BIG nite for the B's. Great hockey fans ya got down there.........

Tony
05-10-2009, 06:59 PM
In my opinion, Detroit's fan base is large for two main reasons;

1. The Wings have won very consistently, including rare back-to-back Cups in '97 and '98, in the last decade or so.
Fans like to back winners.

2. Many people originally from Detroit, and/or Michigan, have relocated to various parts of the country.
Florida arenas, especially, are known to house as many, if not more, Wings fans as the opponents when they are in town.

By the way, we just beat the Ducks 3-1 to take a 3-2 series lead.
Boxy, I'll be sending you my address soon! :)

Carl C
05-10-2009, 08:00 PM
By the way, we just beat the Ducks 3-1 :)

................4-1..........:wink:

Ghost
05-10-2009, 08:09 PM
The end of the Caps game last night was just sickening. Time to get back in gear.

Tony
05-10-2009, 08:52 PM
................4-1..........:wink:

Thanks, Carl. :bonk:

The Wings are playing well. Osgood seems to have a lot of confidence, and I think the four-line depth of Detroit is taking a toll on the Ducks.
We outshot them 38-17 tonight, and the earlier games saw us throw 33, 59, 45, and 37 shots at their goalie.

Even with Rafalski, Draper, and now Kopecky out with injuries...the Wings bring up an MSU kid, Justin Abdelkader, and he plays real well in his NHL playoff debut...with an assist and 9 hits in only 6 1/2 minutes of playing time.

I can't believe how many good scoring chances Datsyuk has had, with no goals yet. One time tonight he was behind the net, flipped the puck over the top of the net and the goalie, then tried to bust in front for his own pass. Very creative!

goatee
05-10-2009, 08:58 PM
did anyone see that one sports guy talking about the wings ducks game?
he's like "ohh hiller was pulled and getzlaf left the game, blah blah blah....

you have got to be kidding me!!! i know the ducks are a good team, no doubt.
but hiller was pulled because we scored too many times on him!
and getz left in the third period. he's one guy!

well there you go jack! wheres hiller and getz now?
facing elimination at home.

Tony
05-11-2009, 09:40 PM
Caps force game 7 with a 5-4 OT win vs. the Pens. Man, this is a good series!
Matty you must be pulling your hair out watching the Pens NOT go away.

Kopecky for the Wings is scheduled for facial surgery....and I'm not kidding.
He fought Bouchimen two games ago, did not know he was a southpaw, and took two vicious, unobstructed left hooks. Kopecky clutched and tied up his opponents right shoulder as he is used to doing during a fight, and the two left-hand haymakers landed very solidly.

Bee still alive, but down 3 games to 2.

Blackhawks up 3-2 in games and tied 3-3, second period of game 6.
'Nucks need a win to force a 7th game.

goatee
05-11-2009, 11:12 PM
not so! bh go's to conf. finals.
now if boston can get it together.....

a boston cup final is what i really want. chicago in the conf. finals is just the icing on the cake.:crossfing:

mattyboy
05-12-2009, 03:26 PM
big article today in the paper that the NHL is happy marketing their two stars crosby and ovechkin in a playoff matchup they call them the nhl's version of magic and bird. this will put the nhl on the national sports map.

THE NHL IS ON DRUGS THEY ONLY MANAGED A 1.2 NATIONAL RATING FOR A GAME 6 IN A PLAYOFF SERIES, with their 2 biggest stars!!!!!
the videos I posted on youtube get a better rating than that, they did do a little stronger in the 2 markets DC and Pittsburgh after the NFL, MLB, and the NBA THE NHL is 13th place in tv ratings for all professional sports coverage

that is why the coverage is not better there is no money in it for TV

hockey is over here, now working on my short game and getting yard work done

boxy
05-12-2009, 03:53 PM
big article today in the paper that the NHL is happy marketing their two stars crosby and ovechkin in a playoff matchup they call them the nhl's version of magic and bird. this will put the nhl on the national sports map.
THE NHL IS ON DRUGS THEY ONLY MANAGED A 1.2 NATIONAL RATING FOR A GAME 6 IN A PLAYOFF SERIES, with their 2 biggest stars!!!!!
the videos I posted on youtube get a better rating than that, they did do a little stronger in the 2 markets DC and Pittsburgh after the NFL, MLB, and the NBA THE NHL is 13th place in tv ratings for all professional sports coverage
that is why the coverage is not better there is no money in it for TV
hockey is over here, now working on my short game and getting yard work done

Matty, you need to combine the Markets, and think North American coverage. Hockey has a bigger Rating than the NBA when you combine the number of households watching in North America.

mattyboy
05-12-2009, 03:58 PM
Boxy,
i realize that but the NY media thinks Canada is on another Continent

mike o
05-12-2009, 06:28 PM
Well, lets see if that sucker punch get the B's in high gear tonite.

goatee
05-12-2009, 10:13 PM
[QUOTE=hockey is over here, now working on my short game and getting yard work done[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8lT1o0sDwI

goatee
05-12-2009, 11:54 PM
that video doubles as the duck farts have just won game 6 forcing a game 7 in the D.

p.s. i did predict a 7 game series :yes:
watching game tonight, hoping i would be wrong.:cool:

Tony
05-13-2009, 09:16 PM
That was the crappiest game 7 I've ever seen!
Pens jump out to a 5-0 lead and cruise to a 6-2 win.

I'm pretty sure the networks are happy...they gush over Crosby.

I can list several reasons the Wings better not lose their game 7 Thursday night.
This video adds another to the list;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nthMoaXLdUE

goatee
05-13-2009, 10:26 PM
i agree. i hate to be the fan who whines when their team doesnt win but, there have been just too many bs things to ignore.

your stick TOUCHES a players mid section and its two min.
but if the play is dead, you can throw punches and elbows.:confused:

Tony
05-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Wings score with 3 minutes left for a 4-3 game 7 victory.

Wings vs. Blackhawks in the Western Conference Final...should be a great series!

goatee
05-14-2009, 09:43 PM
lol!! this is great. i just love this sport:)
i havent seen rt in a long time. hell,,, i havent seen anyone in a long time.
no disrespect to vc, but i would like to see blakhawks, and eventually boston.
i am going to say wings over ducks in a long heart pounding,:shocking: nail biting, grind you to the boards,:mad: edge of your seat, down to the last second:nilly: series.:yes::popcorn:
:pimp:<---hi my name is ovechkin

well, was i right or was i right?
the only thing i did not predict was that the wings were going to have to beat the zebras AND the ducks!!!

goatee
05-14-2009, 09:45 PM
i know theres a post in here where i do say wings in 7,, i just dont know where it is.

mattyboy
05-15-2009, 07:48 AM
big weekend in the NBA two game 7's Sunday

would be nice to see beantown loose another game 7

onto Golf and softball

enough winter sports already

were are my flip flops ;)

GO CANES
GO HAWKS

goatee
05-15-2009, 03:20 PM
arent you supposed to be boating or something?:boat::hyper::wink:

goatee
05-17-2009, 08:15 PM
i think we're going to make short work of chicago.

Carl C
05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
I have a feeling that the Wings/Ducks series was for practical purposes the Stanley Cup finals. I just can't see any team beating the Wings now. That's not to say that they can ease up though.

Red Wings 5 - Windy City 2 HaHa

goatee
05-17-2009, 10:09 PM
hawks looked good for about the first 10 min. of the game.
but it was all down hill from there.
much better to watch than the ducks though. hawks play a better style of hockey. more like the wings do. cleaner hockey:yes:

goatee
05-19-2009, 09:55 PM
i smell a sweep, then on to pens for a rematch.

(then to woodward for another parade)

goatee
05-31-2009, 04:14 PM
is it me or is crosby a whiney lil kid?

boxy
05-31-2009, 04:56 PM
is it me or is crosby a whiney lil kid?

It's not you, but what do expect, he's lived with Mario for the last 3 years, and he grew up playing in the QJHL.

I really want to see Marion Hossa kick the Pens a$$. He doesn't get enough credit for passing up a long term $50 million contract, and signing a 1 year contract with the Wings because he felt they were his best shot at the Cup.

boxy
06-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Somebody should tell Evgeni (NBC) Malkin that you're supposed to drop your stick before you fight.
The networks gush over you...but I say you suck.

The Pens are frustrated, even though (supposedly, and often-reminded to us by NBC) they had "learned a lot from last years' finals".
They are just not used to anyone playing the type of smothering defense the Wings are noted for.
Ever since Scotty Bowman , the Wings consistently have had the best "two-way" forwards in the league.

Helm, Abdelkater, Cleary, Ericsson, the depth of the Wings is incomparable.
Even the timeless warrior Chelios played some solid minutes against the Blackhawks.

Hossa, Zetterburg, and Ozzie are playing great!

I'm revising my prediction...split in Pittsburgh, hoist Lord Stanley's Cup in Hockeytown next weekend.

Anybody seen Sidney Crosby lately?

Sweep:yes:

Wings in 5

i smell a sweep, then on to pens for a rematch.
then to woodward for another parade

So exactly how do you get to the Mellon Arena from Woodward Ave ????

It was a great series played by 2 teams who I didn't think would make the Finals.